Lockups

MrIan

Good morning all,

Following most people's advice I'm going to use the lockups this year. Can someone tell me how they work? I presume you get some sort of ticket which you have to show each time you check stuff out/in? Do they match your ticket with your festival ticket/wristband number to ensure you are the owner of said ticket? Worst case scenario, if you loose your ticket, are you proper f'cked, like ze germans?

Thanks!

You get a ticket but it's not matched with your festival ticket / wristband. My memory is a bit hazy but I seem to recall that they ask you for your name and address (which you will already have given to them when putting in items) as well as your ticket when wanting to take item(s) out.

They do have a system in place for if you lose your ticket but I don't know what it is as I've not lost a ticket. If you have a smart phone or camera it might be an idea to take a photo of your ticket, so that you have a record of it. This will help ensure that you are not proper f'cked, like ze germans.

We also have a distinctive bag - which helped when we were identifying our bag after we had lost our lost ticket. We had the number etc just no physical ticket.

The lock ups are amazing, and well worth the donation the charity gets at the end - I think the one we camp near is Greater Manchester CND.

Edited by stuwilky

You get a ticket but it's not matched with your festival ticket / wristband. My memory is a bit hazy but I seem to recall that they ask you for your name and address (which you will already have given to them when putting in items) as well as your ticket when wanting to take item(s) out.

They do have a system in place for if you lose your ticket but I don't know what it is as I've not lost a ticket. If you have a smart phone or camera it might be an idea to take a photo of your ticket, so that you have a record of it. This will help ensure that you are not proper f'cked, like ze germans.

Yes last year they advised me everytime i used them to take a photo of the ticket just in case you lose it but i never have thus far. Great service they provide though.

Please do be aware that they shut at midday on Monday, so if like me, you like to stay up for last sunrise then sleep til lunchtime, you'll need to either get up before 12pm or make the loooong trek over to the Pyramid lock up which is where they take everything if it hasnt been collected by 12pm!

I had to trek from Pennards to Pyramid for my keys last year. It was quite hard work but was quite interesting to see things being packed away!

Remember if you can afford it to put some money in the collection tin, these are people giving their time to make our festival experience better. I normally shove a quid in the tin when I put/take out something from the lockups and then throw a note or two in at the end of the festival. I put a small bag in with my money and then just go down once a day and grab out what I need and recheck the bag in. Do take a photo of your ticket in case you lose it I still have one on my phone from 2013 where I was too fucked up to sign my name, I needed two attempts and even then it was bad.

PuyTbfC.jpg

Edited by Migraine

Remember if you can afford it to put some money in the collection tin, these are people giving their time to make our festival experience better. I normally shove a quid in the tin when I put/take out something from the lockups and then throw a note or two in at the end of the festival. I put a small bag in with my money and then just go down once a day and grab out what I need and recheck the bag in. Do take a photo of your ticket in case you lose it I still have one on my phone from 2013 where I was too fucked up to sign my name, I needed two attempts and even then it was bad.

PuyTbfC.jpg

Too fucked up to sign your name, quality. That's what I'll aim for I think :crazy:

I'll be sure to make a donation though, it's obviously a valuable and well liked service they provide - so well worth it.

I'm not sure what you're putting in there, but I can tell you what I put in there and the deal:

1. Beer. We camp at Hitchin Hill and I find that leaving some cans in the lockup at the bottom of the hill on the way in saves pain from the uphill trek! They also seem to keep cooler in there than they would in my tent.

2. Money. Pop money in, take out daily funds on the way down aforementioned hill to start the day. They give you an envelope to sign and don't care how much is in - you put it in the envelope, seal and sign across the closure (???) ..they cover your signature in sellotape, done!

The process takes about 2-3 minutes and the people are always really friendly! I can't remember if I needed to show ID or not so maybe think about bringing this (maybe someone else can shine some light on this?)

I'm not sure what you're putting in there, but I can tell you what I put in there and the deal:

1. Beer. We camp at Hitchin Hill and I find that leaving some cans in the lockup at the bottom of the hill on the way in saves pain from the uphill trek! They also seem to keep cooler in there than they would in my tent.

2. Money. Pop money in, take out daily funds on the way down aforementioned hill to start the day. They give you an envelope to sign and don't care how much is in - you put it in the envelope, seal and sign across the closure (???) ..they cover your signature in sellotape, done!

The process takes about 2-3 minutes and the people are always really friendly! I can't remember if I needed to show ID or not so maybe think about bringing this (maybe someone else can shine some light on this?)

I'll probably be putting money, car keys, a cash card and possibly my trolley. Beer idea is good I reckon that might have to be a goer as well. I'll be bringing ID anyway as in my registration photo I have a shaved head and I've since grown my hair. Hopefully that won't be a problem though.

• 2 weeks later...

We used the lock ups last year for money/phones/cameras etc and they were a godsend, offering complete piece of mind to go off and get merry with no worry. The lock up in our field never really had a queue and they were always cheery and chatty. We also used one near the pyramid stage to store warmer clothes to grab before the headliners came on so we could be warm when it got cooler.....Just don't mix up your tickets if you store items at various lock ups else you could be there a while ha. And tip: after too many ciders you can end up confusing one lock up for another!

They guys that work at the lock ups put in some proper hours of work, kind of felt a bit of a tit going through the process of "withdrawing" some of my funds & cans from our trolley so making sure you leave a donation at the end is only fair.

Free bog roll can be a god send.

are these normally pretty quick then? was thinking of putting chairs in them once gets into the evening then pick up again the next day

Prob not worth it. Just fold them up & leave them in your tent (not porch) unless you are really tight on space.