"The naughty corner"

CTO

Afternoon all, happy Easter and all that.

This will be my first Glastonbury, complete with all the trinkets I have bought including my watch that is a lighter, or "face welder" as it will undoubtedly turn out to be :)

Whilst waiting for the line up to drop I keep seeing people mention the south east corner and calling it the naughty corner and the place to be after hours.

I'm guessing that the SE corner is Shangri La, which used to be Lost Vagueness which used to be the free fields for the travellers back in the day (could be wrong :) )

So, in a long winded fashion, what is it about this debauched area that makes it so tantalising? Why is it called the naughty corner now?

TIA,

CTO.

Edited by CTO

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and you will find out!

I would rather you discover all the weird and wonderful things than be told what you will find there.

waaaaaaaaaaaah :)

That's just teasing!

Think of all the naughty things you have ever done in your life, then think of all the naughty things other people have done in their life, that happens every night in the naughty corner (except naughty things people like Hitler did).

Think of all the naughty things you have ever done in your life, then think of all the naughty things other people have done in their life, that happens every night in the naughty corner (except naughty things people like Hitler did).

Dunno why but that made me genuinely chuckle.

Doesn't sound too naughty to me :)

Was the etymology correct tho? It was my understanding that's where the origins of the naughty corner came from :)

Why's it called the naughty corner?

Part of the licensing conditions now means that the police will now only allow drugs to be consumed within this area. Anyone seen gurning in the Greenfields is rounded up and put in the back of a van to be taken back to the naughty corner.

Last year I found the queueing system to be perfect. It involved lot's of walking through the snaking fences but we never had to stop once and this was prime time Saturday night :)

It's naughty because everything and anything happens there. A friend had some interesting substances on show and the security walked right by us and just gave a little smile and a giggle. Surreal.

Newbie question: which places have queues to get in in the naughty corner and are any of them really long?

Yep they can get pretty long. The Temple often seems to be worst, and The Cave's is pretty long too. The Block9 venues always seemed to have a queue when I went as well, as did a couple of things in Shangri La. That being said, it depends very much on who's playing, what time you go etc. As well as the fact that there are plenty of things you don't have to queue for, for instance last year the queue for LBHQ(?) one night at Shangri La was huge but there was plenty of dancing to be had outside Heaven and elsewhere.. plus you kinda forget you cared about getting into a place and you're guaranteed to find something fun somewhere if you walk for a couple minutes in any direction.

Three years at glastonbury and i'm yet to have a really good night in the se corner. I always seem to hit queues, crowds, dance music that isn't really to my taste (dubstep, drum n bass, garage) and it doesn't feel as experiential as i think it's billed.

At some stage i will sacrifice a headliner for it then try and catch some of the house, electro-swing or disco etc. acts on earlier so i can judge it properly. I'm definitely less excited about it than i used to be.

I haven't had a decent night in Shangri La since 2010 when it blew me away & I was raving with a python & I snuck in on my own to see Orbital 2011.

2011 someone opened a portaloo to a huge crowd to see the ex going for a wee.

Edited by Couchy

Three years at glastonbury and i'm yet to have a really good night in the se corner. I always seem to hit queues, crowds, dance music that isn't really to my taste (dubstep, drum n bass, garage) and it doesn't feel as experiential as i think it's billed.

At some stage i will sacrifice a headliner for it then try and catch some of the house, electro-swing or disco etc. acts on earlier so i can judge it properly. I'm definitely less excited about it than i used to be.

Dubstep & garage is my cup of tea so I alway tend to find a good rave up (London underground is a fail safe)

Although I've given up trying to trump a night in the snake pit in 2010. I remember initially going in to see Petebox and stayed until God knows when. Even meet Rosmunda Edmondson (plays Smell in this is england) odd night

Can't knock the creativity of the venues in the South East corner, and you can find some really innovative stuff there. However in recent years its become a victim of its own hype

Has a bit of a Saturday night town centre feel too it now with crowds pilling in to brag about being there, rather than because of any great spirit in there

Other parts of the festival are quieter as a result though so tend to head somewhere like green fields or theatre and circus fields after main acts have been on

Has a bit of a Saturday night town centre feel too it now with crowds pilling in to brag about being there, rather than because of any great spirit in there

This is true, I think the thick ass mud takes the edge off it too. Edited by bennyboi