Travelling To/From Bristol Airport

bakon

Hi I'm arriving into Bristol airport on the Wednesday morning (from Belfast) and heading back on Monday afternoon and I'm wondering what's the best way to get to the festival. Originally I was going to get the bus into Bristol and National Express coach from there, but I've seen a few people on the forum here advising just to get a taxi straight from the airport there.

What is it like getting a taxi from the festival, does it have to be pre-ordered?

We'll have to buy some booze/food along the way so that will have to be factored in.

How much should a taxi be from the airport?

Any thoughts? There's 2 of us so if the taxi was shared I guess it could work out cheaper than the bus/coach.

If you get stuck in traffic...your taxi bill will be BIG.

If you decide to do it anyway... pre order it...the taxis based at the airport are expensive... maybe google Bristol Taxis and pick one that is based around bedminster/hengrove areas of the city.

Other option might be using a shepton mallet based cab.

Bus is defo cheaper.

Shepton Mallet taxis are not cheap either. You'll pay way more than £25 for a taxi from Bristol airport to the site. I wouldn't do the national express either. Get to Temple meads, get an all day saver ticket. Get the 376 to Wells bus station, then a bus from Wells to Shepton Mallet. once you're in Shepton they run the bus service to the site from the War memorial which costs about £2 and they run every hour.

Edited by shepton fuchsias

Was going to suggest same as Shepton Fushsias - there is also a shuttle bus from Glastonbury town if its slightly easier to get there by public bus route from Bristol - have a look on line and you should be able to download local bus timetables

The easiest route is definitely from Bristol to Wells. Glastonbury is about another hours journey after wells.

As for timetables

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&service=376&routeid=11879441&operator=3&source=sp

From Wells you want the 161 to Shepton Mallet war memorial

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=1&source_id=2&service=161&routeid=11879631&operator=3&source=sp

Thanks for the great advice, I'll not be getting a taxi now - didn't really like the idea of getting a taxi in the first place.

Cheers

If all else fails, get to Bristol Temple Meads and hop on a train to Castle Cary. You can grab the bus from there to the festival site. Its hectic, but definitely easier than grabbing a cab from Bristol. With it being Glastonbury you could find the roads are busy, and if you get stuck in traffic, because they are on meter, you pay even if you don't move anywhere. So avoid using cabs at all in the area. Public transport isn't that bad as it goes, given its a rural location.

Drat have they changed the 376 bus route Shepton Fuchsias? Was about 10 minutes from Wells to Glastonbury last year when I used it.

Changing bus and going Wells to Shepton might be better option if it cuts an hour off the journey

Being honest, I don't know precisely how long it takes to get from Wells to Glastonbury, but given that the site is closer to Shepton than it is Glastonbury, it makes sense to go to the nearest town. Once you arrive in Shepton its literally a 15 minute walk to the festival site.

Ah I will be stopping in Wells and in the past have gone to Glastonbury on the 376 and then festival shuttle onto the site - which worked well but might look at Shepton as an option too. Think the festival bus goes from the war memorial in Shepton?

Thanks for the info - all good stuff for the planning

Thanks for the great advice, I'll not be getting a taxi now - didn't really like the idea of getting a taxi in the first place.

Cheers

I'll be the different voice, my advice would be is to get a taxi I have done it before and was by far the best option, I posted on the lift share thread and arranged to meet others off the same flight coming over from Dublin on the Wed. Walked straight out hot a taxi from the rank straight to the fest taxi drop off via a booze stop there was 4 of us all solo travelers cost a lot less than the bus and much easier, got the bus back then via Bristol

Another question regarding coach/bus/taxi - is there any difference at arrival regarding queuing? I'd read in a couple of old posts that coach arrivals didn't have much of a queue while those arriving by car (and I assume taxi) had a hefty wait ahead of them? Any truth in this?

Coach park and taxi rank are by gate A, so if you travel by coach or taxi you go in through that gate. It's very busy on the Wednesday morning, but then all the gates are

Arriving by private car you go in one of about 50 car parks, depending on the direction and space available, and these take you to a number of other gates around the site. All are pretty busy on the Wednesday too

You could possibly get a taxi to a different part of the site or walk in from further out, but I don't think any gate over another will be quieter than another

There were a few buses direct from/to the airport last year-

Bristol Airport Service: A limited service will be introduced between Bristol International Airport and the Festival Bus Station on Wednesday 25th (morning and evening), Thursday 26th (morning) and returning early on Monday 30th (morning).

They were first come first served,so not bookable.The Monday morning ones left the festival bus park at 5am. Im not sure they will be running again, when I get sent the bus service info for this year I can update if anyone is interested.

I travel from Belfast to Glastonbury every year, and usually on my own, to meet people there.

Get the airbus into Bristol, buy your carryout then either get the train or National Express to Glasto, train drops you off at Castle Cary, free shuttlebus will take you to the festival site.

National express takes you straight to festival site.

There will also be people looking to share taxi to the site from the airport, in that case, stop at Shepton Mallet for a carryout, taxi works out about £15 each.

Enjoy! :rock: