Is GFL arrogant?

Big Vern

A question for you and not necessarily my belief, although maybe just a little of me is thinking it, but to expect punters to fork out £200 without knowing what they are getting, is it a little bit cheeky?

Yes we know for certain, in that Glastonbury has announced that FF, Kanye and Lionel are playing and for those of you that have been before, the majority of you will realise that £200 without knowing the full line up is worth it (as I do), but for new attendees or people that have only been once and not yet fully G'd up, is it a bit out of order?

I mean, in most other walks of life we wouldnt hand over £200 to a service provider without knowing what service we were going to get would we?

Discuss.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not cheeky or arrogant as they give you the opportunity not to pay if you don't want to. They aren't forcing anybody to do anything!

If anybody was uncomfortable with not knowing the lineup before committing, then fine, don't take the option of paying your ticket .. Only lose £15 and the ticket goes back into the pot for somebody who wants to go. Everybody is a winner.

Edited by st dan

We know what we are getting - a great 5 days of entertainment and enjoyment away from everyday life. Complete escapism etc. Who plays is simply the icing on the cake.

I know exactly what I am getting. 5 days of entertainment & experiences, the like of which you won't see anywhere else. Whatever the lineup is, if you can't find a dozen acts you want to see, then you are possibly not human. And even then, you can go to the cinema. Or the circus. Really not a problem.

absolutely not, for reasons described above.

however I want a poster purely cos i would like to know who's playing, not because I won't pay my balance without it.

and that they have at this stage in previous years given us at least 30+ names playing, not like 3. obviously through this site we know a great many who are playing but some official confirmation of someone not previously rumoured at all is always welcome.

Edited by Memory Man

I don't think there's arrogance at play here, from what's been said in the past, I suspect ME genuinely worries about the sales, and about how acts booked are perceived. What I do find strange though, is why don't the festival just say, the lineup will be announced on the xth of April? It's not like that would give anyone a clue as to the lineup. I guess it's maybe because they genuinely don't know themselves and are scrabbling around for the go ahead from acts?

This will be my first time (for various reasons) but I know tons about the festival and the massive amount of things to do & experience.

Yes I would like a headliner i like but hey if not I'm still going to do something i've wanted to for a long long time..

If you're buying a ticket looking only for headliners then surely you're going to the wrong place

I wouldn't say arrogance is the word. I'm going to pay regardless and I'm lucky in that I'm a huge Foos fan. I would however like to know the rest of the line up purely because I'm one of those people where things like this annoy me (i.e knowing it's coming but not knowing when). I wouldn't mind at all if they said "line up anouncement on 25th April" and would still pay.

Plenty of festivals do early bird offers where you can buy a ticket for the next year right after the previous one. This is no different. You can always wait and buy tickets in the resale after the line-up is announced. So it's not like you have to buy in advance.

No.

You bought a ticket in October to attend the festival when you knew nothing. What's changed?

I suspect you're in the camp that see's October ticket day as paying £50 deposit to take an option on seeing what the line-up is in March/April rather than seeing it as securing a ticket to the greatest festival in the world regardless of who is playing.

How do we not know what service we're going to get?

We know we're going to get 4/5 days of awesome varied entertainment, after dark experiences, booze, food, spirituality. We're all going to have a fucking amazing time. It's going to be sunny all weekend. And everyone will shell out for the next one, selling it out in 5 minutes again, without knowing a single act that's playing.

Arrogance is thinking you have a right to know.

Arrogance is thinking it's all about who's playing.

Arrogance is complaining even though we all pretty much bought a ticket 6 months ago.

I wish everyone would lighten up and start getting excited!

No.

You bought a ticket in October to attend the festival when you knew nothing. What's changed?

I suspect you're in the camp that see's October ticket day as paying £50 deposit to take an option on seeing what the line-up is in March/April rather than seeing it as securing a ticket to the greatest festival in the world regardless of who is playing.

I suspect you're in the camp of people that make massive assumptions about other people.

Read my post in full, you'll clearly see that I wrote "the majority of you will realise that £200 without knowing the full line up is worth it (as I do)"

I suspect you're in the camp of people that make massive assumptions about other people.

Read my post in full, you'll clearly see that I wrote "the majority of you will realise that £200 without knowing the full line up is worth it (as I do)"

Apologies; didn't mean you in particular, I meant it towards the general type of post on here recently (mainly from first-timers) that seems to have a misplaced assumption that they are entitled know the line-up in advance. We've never know the line-up in advance.

Should really have said 'the type of people who want to know the line up are in the camp...'

Edited by Keithy

We aren't paying to see the bands, we are paying to be participants in a temporary city built entirely for the entertainment of it's inhabitants. The real festival is the people that attend and those who put in the effort to provide for them.

PS: I'm loving the enthusiasm of some of the first timers who are posting around here at the moment, who clearly are going to have the time of their lives. Welcome to the family :)