Cashing In

mb'satglasto

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be paying it off later today, due to a few different reasons meaning I couldn't do it yesterday.

I personally would pay up every year, not knowing what the lineup is. I love Glasto and the whole ethos of it.

But, of course, it would be nice to know a few more acts by now. Especially to convince my girlfriend, she's going with me trusting me telling her it'll be amazing regardless of the lineup.

The main reason I want to know the lineup now is so I can spend a good few months checking out all the acts I don't know, and maybe discovering a few new favourites before I get to the festival.

Edited by 01seb

Paid up by lunchtime - such a nice feeling after having to wait until the resale last year.

I'm keen for the line up but not because it would affect my decision. Just want to start poring over it and raising the excitement levels still higher.

One tiny gripe - why is there a postage fee on coach tickets you print yourself?

Happily paid my balance yesterday. I guess I can understand peoples reservations if they have never been before. But I know just how much of a good time I will have over those 5 days at Worthy Farm no matter who's on the lineup, (of which there is bound to be something for everyone anyway). The festival truly is a place of beauty and wonder and is about far far more than just a place to go and watch bands. That being said, please play P*****, please play...!

I paid this morning because I love the festival and am happy to support it. Obviously there's much more to Glastonbury than just the bands, but they've never let me down before when it comes to lineups and I doubt they will any time soon.

That said I can understand some people's reluctance (especially those who have never been before) to commit without seeing more info. The third headliner is obviously the focal point of the speculation but I'd just like to see a list of who's playing across a wide range of stages to whet my appetite. I could live without the third headliner if we got a poster similar to last year's now. I mentioned to someone at work earlier that I'd just spent over £200 on a Glastonbury ticket "Really, who's playing?" they asked. I just shrugged and said "dunno". That doesn't quite feel right.

I agree with this. I am returning to Glastonbury this year after a 5 years hiatus. Not because of Headliners but because of almost everything else it offers. That said, and I have received a lot heat for this view in the past on this forum, I do think if you continually increase your prices and are ultimately a business in a competitive market, paying customers have a right to expect a certain amount of information and level of service. Glastonbury is not a little hippy fayre anymore it is a massive festival and one of the most expensive so I don't think it is right to withhold information that may or may not influence people going. it seems a little disingenuous. Even something like Secret Cinema gives information about what it will be showing in order to increase it's ticket price.

All paid!!!!! Our usual ritual is that we pack up Monday morning and sit amongst the tent bags, rucksacs etc and reflect on the amazing weekend we have had and then one of us will say "Next year?" and we all say yes have a hug, wipe away a tear and then head off to the car parks for the miserable journey home!! Who is playing doesn't even enter into it.

This year will be my 5th Glastonbury and not once I have ever been bothered about a line up, on the basis of potentially cancelling my ticket. Yes they might not please everyone, but there's so much to do, what's on is irrelevant. I paid my balance yesterday.

I know there'll be SOMETHING there I really want to see (Kanye excites me already), and I'm happy the Eavii decide this for me, and I put my faith (and £210 hard earned and even harder to come by) in their hands.

And it's not a cashing exercise in any way - You can refund your ticket into May or something I believe, so if Noel Gallagher or Kasabian aren't there - Them types are free to refund and go to V :)

I've always paid off my balance on the first or second day and I can't remember knowing the lineup or not to be honest, but I've been going since 07' so I'm not arsed.

Currently being ticketless I'm (selfishly) hoping that headline #3 is as unpopular as Kanye so that more people don't pay up... :mellow:

Or I'd be equally happy if they didn't release anything during the next week so that anyone basing their ticket decision on a lineup cancels. Yes, I'm very selfish and very desperate :rolleyes:

Edited by verrymerry

Paid up for myself and 4 of my crew.

I'll be honest. I like the time to immerse in a line up... watch youtube listen to spotify. Try and work out the clashes before waiting for a clashfinder etc.

However not knowing would never put my paying up in doubt. This place is so much more to me than a poster.

6th time on the bounce. Can't wait x

Paid up for myself and 4 of my crew.

I'll be honest. I like the time to immerse in a line up... watch youtube and listen to spotify. Try and work out the clashes before waiting for a clashfinder etc.

However not knowing would never put my paying up in doubt. This place is so much more to me than a poster.

6th time on the bounce. Can't wait x

Just paid the balance for me and five others. Would have done it sooner but waited for cash from a couple of them to clear.

I have zero interest in the three artists announced so far which is disappointing. Particularly because i've had at least one of my favourite headliner or sub sized artists each year since 2011 and i'm not sure i'll get that this year... but that said give me belle and sebastian on the park and hot chip on west holts and i'm well happy. Even if not i'd go regardless of the line-up - roll on June.

Not sure about paying, not because of line up. Baby due in less than 2 weeks and not sure if I can leave them with grandparents :girlcray: Im guessing im going to be too emotionally attached to leave him/her behind??

anyone else in same boat?

My daugher was born in March 2013 and I was very glad that I decided not to go. I went last year, but I'm sitting this one out because it was too much time to have away from my family in one go.

Is this your first child? I think you may be underestimating the amount of work a very young baby can be, even at three months old. It's an incredibly personal thing, but I imagine that come the festival date, the last place you'd want to be is away from your child watching bands.

I don't want to go on, it's been a very emotional subject for me, so I'm probably coming over very sanctimonious. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss in any more depth.

The bottom line is - don't go. Cash in your ticket. You won't regret it. Glastonbury is on next year. This child is only going to be born once

I'd originally mis-read your post as saying the festival was 2 weeks after the birth, a situation that was more cut+dried. All I can say is that I chose not to go and didn't regret the decision. I don't think you should do it, but I'm just a stranger on the Internet, albeit one who was in a similar situation a couple of years ago.

Sorry you have lost me on this?? Ha
Jeffie was asking for my opinion, because he knows my situation was similar.
Edited by stuartbert two hats

I haven't paid but will do over the weekend. I am wondering if people are more reluctant to pay up without the full line up. Only because my three friends need tickets in the resales. I can imagine it must be very difficult if you have never been to part with so much money blindly so I don't blame people for being hesitant. At work they think I'm mad every year for paying for a festival not knowing who's going to be playing.

?

Glastonbury is two weeks after your due date? It's conceivable that you might still be pregnant, or in hospital from the fairly common complications that occur during labour at that time. My daugher was born in March 2013 and I was very glad that I decided not to go. I went last year, but I'm sitting this one out because it was too much time to have away from my family in one go.Is this your first child? I think you may be underestimating the amount of work a very young baby can be. It's an incredibly personal thing, but I imagine that come the festival date, the last place you'd want to be in away from your child watching bands.I don't want to go on, it's been a very emotional subject for me, so I'm probably coming over very sanctimonious. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss in any more depth.The

bottom line is - don't go. Cash in your ticket. You won't regret it. Glastonbury is on next year. This child is only going to be born once.

How are you planning on feeding the baby? If it's breast it will be a terrible distribution and I would be surprised if you could get the milk flowing again afterwards. I think it will break your heart leaving such a young baby and you will spend all the festival worrying. I'd give it a miss. You'll be glad of the rest next year.

?

How are you planning on feeding the baby? If it's breast it will be a terrible distribution and I would be surprised if you could get the milk flowing again afterwards. I think it will break your heart leaving such a young baby and you will spend all the festival worrying. I'd give it a miss. You'll be glad of the rest next year.

I misread her post - the baby is due in just under two weeks from today, not two weeks before the festival.

We only went in 2007 because of a specific band we wanted to see and in those days the i'm sure all or at least most of the line up was out by April which is when the tickets got sold. From what i remember the lineup dates changed after 2008 and the problems with selling out all of the tickets. Anyway for me and all of the others i have taken along every year since 2007 the lineup has now become irrelevent, we just go for the tickets as soon and however we can and then just turn up in June (travelling from whichever country we happen to be living in at the time). End up seeing less and less of the big stages every time we go. I do however understand some peoples desire to know the lineup and would not berate them for feeling that way. Cashing out has never crossed our minds. i do think its really good that GFL give people upto the start of May to change their minds, i'm not aware of any other festivals that do this?

Sharon Van Etten is TBC, anybody that needs any more line-up than that is doing it wrong.

EDIT: And so are Hot Chip and Mavis Staples, you'd be crazy to not pay up (although, don't, because I need your ticket in the resale, thanks).

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

All six of our group are paid up already. Im just glad to have a ticket really. We've all had a moan about kanye west but there'll be tons of other things to do or see. Whoever the headliners are I'd go anyway, as long as I'm lucky enough to have a ticket. Looking on these forums all the time is making me way more impatient about the line up being released though

Myself and Ms Bza have our first on the way, due in August. When I heard the due date I subtly (so I thought..) mentioned Glastonbury and pondered out loud about the timings.

She responded with a slight sigh and the line 'don't worry, you can still go to your festival...'. :)

Going to be my last fest without some kind of sling or trolley setup.

That's bloody close timing. Due in July and you'd be in danger of missing an early birth. August is far enough out that the chances drop massively of that happening.