Let's Talk About Tidal For a While to Distract Ourselves

ravermum

Missed the overblown pomposity that was the launch of Tidal yesterday?

http://ind.pn/19EQhHQ

Check the link above from The Independent.

Personally, I'm not sure I've seen a bigger collection of arseholes on one stage since the last Tory party conference.

I'd been a vocal supporter of the Kanye booking until this point, but his involvement in this particular project has given me a good excuse not to feel obliged to frequent the Pyramid stage on the Saturday night and agonise over the other myriad choices available instead.

This also adds fuel to my postulation that Daft Punk are bland, conservative middle-of-the-road music makers who've only produced one good record (Da Funk). Take your helmets off lads, you look like a pair of, well, helmets...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was amazing.

So is their 2 Minute Promotion.

I just spent the time looking at this thinking "Always knew Kanye was a w*nker. Always knew Madonna was a douche. Oh dear, Arcade Fire are w*nkers too."

Weirdly enough it's only Christ Martin and Calvin Harris, on videocon, who actually look embarassed by the whole thing. Maybe because by looking in they can see the ridiculous nature of the whole charade.

I went through 3 phases with this, the first was oh good a beats type version of Spotify, I am sure that won't be over priced for the fans, then gradually, oh look Arcade Fire, Daft Punk and Jack White involved and it has lossless streaming.....

Then the announcement came properly I even forgave the overly dramactic ad, I thought I'd give a shot, signed up for the free trial, turns out lossless will be an extra tenner a month and not on the free trial and its just a poorer version of Spotify with some video content.

Then read more about it, and it turns out the artists are just adding their names to a rebrand and they're not involved in creating as claimed at all and back to square.

Still can't work out why highest quality means double the price for the actual music file..

Edited by LondonTom

This was amazing.

So is their 2 Minute Promotion.

I just spent the time looking at this thinking "Always knew Kanye was a w*nker. Always knew Madonna was a douche. Oh dear, Arcade Fire are w*nkers too."

Weirdly enough it's only Christ Martin and Calvin Harris, on videocon, who actually look embarassed by the whole thing. Maybe because by looking in they can see the ridiculous nature of the whole charade.

That video is insane...talking about creating something people have been asking for? Spotify always does what they're doing, the only reason they're in it is to increase their cashflow.

Jesus, who makes a promo video without mentioning a single feature of the product except the fact that it'll make lots of money for people who are already stinking rich?

Because the product isnt the point.

Musicians making millions a year are complaining that some people are only giving them 20cents in royalties when purchasing gives them a dollar.

Missed the overblown pomposity that was the launch of Tidal yesterday?

http://ind.pn/19EQhHQ

Check the link above from The Independent.

Personally, I'm not sure I've seen a bigger collection of arseholes on one stage since the last Tory party conference.

I'd been a vocal supporter of the Kanye booking until this point, but his involvement in this particular project has given me a good excuse not to feel obliged to frequent the Pyramid stage on the Saturday night and agonise over the other myriad choices available instead.

This also adds fuel to my postulation that Daft Punk are bland, conservative middle-of-the-road music makers who've only produced one good record (Da Funk). Take your helmets off lads, you look like a pair of, well, helmets...

Glad someone else thinks this about Daft Punk.

It's been downhill from their first album, albeit with some notable high points along the way.

Was Da Funk their first ever release?

Remains their best in my opinion.

Thronker of a record, but they have produced some watery, forgettable stuff since then

It's a long read, but Steve Albini's essay on the topic of music in the internet age is brilliant-

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/17/steve-albinis-keynote-address-at-face-the-music-in-full

If consumers are getting what they want in a way they want it already - what is there to fix? It's all very well putting together this super-group of artists banding together, but that solidarity is not for creativity's sake, it's for chasing the almighty dollah. This enterprise may take off initially, but as there are other, cheaper methods of acquiring music (legally or otherwise), even lossless music, I have a feeling it's doomed to fail.

If the music industry wants to make more money for artists, the artists maybe do need to take control, but it's the record labels they need to be taking control from as they're the ones taking the cut of the profits, not the suppliers.

Is Rich involved here?

Thought I spotted him in the video, couldn't recognise him without the weird album cover smile, didn't wanna believe it was him, "I care because you do" is an all time fave of mine. Tbf its been obvious for ages that kanye can be a knob so that's definitely less of a blow.

Edited by klipper

Is Rich involved here?

I thought it was him (see 0:35) but much like klipper I'm not sure. I looked it up and there's not much more than a few others that are pretty sure it's him. Would really go against his reclusive and "you have to be mentally ill to be famous" stuff.

Edited by dentalplan

So are Tidal giving any more support to artists than Spotify? Someone needs to enlighten me on this whole shenanigans.

by support do you mean cash? "at least one act was offered as much as $3m and a 3 per cent stake in the new service, according to one manager familiar with the discussions."

The way I see it the artists are likely to have just been told to attend the press event by their record labels, it needs label buy in, not artist buy in for these sorts of services to work.

On the other hand, they seem to have solved a problem nobody has, it's just going to be a service that people with Beats headphones will use, in as much as they have been sold a product that isn't any better than what they can get for a fraction of the cost.

The artists, the promo and the premise of the thing itself don't bother me though, barely registers does it?