Collect at Glastonbury

campinghater

Hi,

So my mates and I got coach tickets this year; the problem is we usually have a lot of equipment and failing one of our other mates getting car tickets and bringing our stuff with them I can't see us being able to bring all our stuff.

The coach rules seem to be a bag and a tent. We have fairly large tents, chairs, sleeping bags, large inflatable bed, beers, etc etc

Anyone know if there's a way to collect this stuff down there, perhaps in the lock ups? or if I can order this stuff and collect it down there? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

I came on the coach last year and bought my chair and bed from the camping store there. Was £28 for both. I stuck to spirits in my rucksack and a very small lightweight vango sleeping bag. Everything fit in nicely and it was great to be able to walk to my camp without giving myself a hernia. I shall be packing the same this year, even though I'm driving down.

Cosy Camputer have operated an order and collect service for several years, I don't know for sure but I assume they will again although not until much closer to the festival.

To be honest, there's enough camping stores on site that ordering ahead isn't that important - it'd be a huge surprise if you weren't able to find whatever you needed - it'll just cost a bit more than online or in your local camping shop.

The problem with order and collect services (or with buying on site) is that you are BUYING the equipment NOT hiring it. This means you are responsible for taking it home with you. Even though you'll have drunk your beer so wont' have that to carry, you will still have to take tents, camping chairs, airbeds etc. home and put them with the rest of the camping gear you already own.

You'd be amazed how many dickheads buy brand new kit on site because they can't be arsed to carry it on site, then dump it five days later because they can't be arsed to carry it offsite. Don't be one of those dickheads.

So either:

• Bring less stuff
  • Buy on site but be prepared to take everything you have bought home again
  • Stay in pre-erected camping like Worthy View, Camplight etc.

Some of these aren't badly priced really, if I were still a camper I'd certainly consider this to be a good option.

No, they're not as costly as some people think, especially compared to the cost of buying brand new kit every year!

I'm working this year, but must admit that now I'm 'getting on a bit' camping, and especially lugging kit on and off site, is starting to get harder on the back/hips/knees every year - next time I'm attending as a punter I'll certainly consider pre-erected camping.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

You can get a shuttle bus from the site to Tesco and stock up on a lot of things. We emptied our backpacks in our tents then took them empty to Tesco to fill with booze and other fun things we might need. Like a bottle of champagne!

Plastic, of course, as strictly no glass is allowed on site?

Isn't another problem with collect - I think Millets or someone offered such a service at one time - that you have to go down onto the site shopping area, collect your stuff and then lug it back up to where you want to camp.

And as P&a P says, you still have to take it home.

If you can't get stuff to the site, how are you going to take it away?

Do Glasto do a drop off point for stuff you don't want to take home and therefore donate? I've been 4 times and always take everything home but still interested.

Nope. It's not the festival's responsibility to dispose of tents and other equipment people are too lazy to take home. If you bring it in, you take it away again.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Nope. It's not the festival's responsibility to dispose of tents and other equipment people are too lazy to take home. If you bring it in, you take it away again.

I know it's not their responsibility and i always take everything home, just thought maybe they have a charity collection point. Like I said, just interested and being nosey.

When I went in 2013 the Campsite Stewards had a collection point in each camping field where you could bring your tent and they would donate them to charity.

I personally am forced to utilise that facility when I go, as coming from Australia I simply don't have enough room to take a tent with me to Glasto on the plane. Therefore I have to buy one in London.

When I went in 2013 the Campsite Stewards had a collection point in each camping field where you could bring your tent and they would donate them to charity.

I personally am forced to utilise that facility when I go, as coming from Australia I simply don't have enough room to take a tent with me to Glasto on the plane. Therefore I have to buy one in London.

This isn't an official thing - the campsite stewards do this in some fields to ensure good quality tents don't just get dumped in fields, and no-one should rely on this happening every year.

If you're coming from Australia you could use pre-booked camping to save you buying a new tent every year.

This isn't an official thing - the campsite stewards do this in some fields to ensure good quality tents don't just get dumped in fields, and no-one should rely on this happening every year.

If you're coming from Australia you could use pre-booked camping to save you buying a new tent every year.

Isn't that really expensive? I think I read somewhere on efests that they now recycle left tents and hire them out for the fest. This would be a good idea for those flying in and not able to carry a tent. Maybe I dreamed it

Isn't that really expensive? I think I read somewhere on efests that they now recycle left tents and hire them out for the fest. This would be a good idea for those flying in and not able to carry a tent. Maybe I dreamed it

It can be expensive, but then so can buying a brand new tent, sleeping bag, airbed etc. every year...

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

I tried to book Camplight this year but I was sold out before I was told about it.

Other pre-booked camping sites are quite pricey, not something I can really afford. I can buy a tent in London for under 50 pounds, take a compact sleeping bag with me on the plane, and spend less than 1/4 I would on pre-booked camping.

In 2013 I was told the tents will be going to this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/10095764/Glastonbury-tents-to-be-given-new-lease-of-life.html

If there is no official process for recycling tents, then I will actively seek out somewhere on Monday morning which is doing a similar scheme to the above.

Edited by 01seb

• 2 weeks later...