5 acts who have never appeared at Glastonbury but really should

Martin Ashford

These would be artists still alive and performing regularly but never get a look in. My suggestions are:

Todd Rundgren - frequently in the UK. The master of psychedelic wizardry himself - never played

Dweezil Zappa - as close to the real thing as it gets.Tours the UK regularly and played at High Voltage festival a few years ago

Santana - the ultimate festival band and Woodstock heroes - never played

Jefferson Starship - another legendary West Coast outfit who tour here regularly - zilch.

That's not how you spell Kraftwerk.

Kraftwerk were true innovators and totally deserve their legendary status. But Depeche Mode are apparently the most successful electronic group of all time, have a 30 year career of chart hit records. Kraftwerks back catalogue is no where near as extensive as Depeche Modes and they are no where as good as a live prospect.

No one can deny the importance of Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode owe them a massive debt of gratitude. But for a Britsh band to be so innovative, successful and to possess such huge back catalogue of work to not even play at Glastonbury is a bit of a shame.

Kraftwerks back catalogue is no where near as extensive as Depeche Modes and they are no where as good as a live prospect.

The first bit is false, the second is subjective.

And Kraftwerk have played tons of other British festivals and seem like a shoe in on WH or Other. Glastonbury seems to be a conspicuous hole in their history.

The first bit is false, the second is subjective.

And Kraftwerk have played tons of other British festivals and seem like a shoe in on WH or Other. Glastonbury seems to be a conspicuous hole in their history.

Depeche Mode have dome 13 studio albums and 53 singles. Kraftwerk have 10 albums and 24 singles. How is the first bit false?

Depends on how you define extensive. Kraftwerk have covered a lot more musical areas than Depeche Mode and could potentially appeal to a greater variety of people.

I'm not saying it's not strange that Depeche Mode haven't played, just that with Kraftwerk's history and recent touring schedule over the past few years its more unusual that they haven't played.

Depends on how you define extensive. Kraftwerk have covered a lot more musical areas than Depeche Mode and could potentially appeal to a greater variety of people.

I'm not saying it's not strange that Depeche Mode haven't played, just that with Kraftwerk's history and recent touring schedule over the past few years its more unusual that they haven't played.

I can't agree with that mate. Kraftwerk have imo covered nowhere near as many musical areas as Depeche Mode. Depeche Mode went from bubblegum pop to synth rock goods with everything else in between. I don't see how Kraftwerk could appeal to far more people when Depeche Mode are far more popular and successful.

As a fan of of synthesised and electrical music, I have the up most respect for Kraftwerk. They are true originators and are one of the most influential bands to have walked the earth. I totally agree with you, they really should have played Glastonbury. But I just think when you weigh up everything, Depeche Mode strike me as a far bigger omission.

I can't agree with that mate. Kraftwerk have imo covered nowhere near as many musical areas as Depeche Mode. Depeche Mode went from bubblegum pop to synth rock goods with everything else in between. I don't see how Kraftwerk could appeal to far more people when Depeche Mode are far more popular and successful.

As a fan of of synthesised and electrical music, I have the up most respect for Kraftwerk. They are true originators and are one of the most influential bands to have walked the earth. I totally agree with you, they really should have played Glastonbury. But I just think when you weigh up everything, Depeche Mode strike me as a far bigger omission.

I agree with this and I'm a much bigger Kraftwerk fan than D.M

I think Kraftwerk have a much stronger back catalogue but it's a lot stranger how D.M have not played. I base this on them being British, a lot more current and more appeal to the casual fan.

I'd be a lot less surprised if Kraftwerk made the line up

Kraftwerk covered krautrock, synth pop, experimental pop and techno. Admittedly they wouldn't play any krautrock, but still.

It's more the touring aspect that makes me think Kraftwerk are the biggest missing factor anyway. I'll admit I'm not that up to date on what Depeche Mode does, but Kraftwerk play shows every year and have played Bestival, Latitude and T in the bleeding Park in recent years. Depeche Mode don't seem to do shows with the same pattern as Kraftwerk.

Edited by Untz

That's my point. They're more expected than Depeche Mode and therefore more conspicuous by their absence.

Yeah was agreeing with you. I caught them at T, after missing out on tate tickets and they were great. They are very active at moment, in holland weekend after Glastonbury, so fingers crossed. It's very odd how it's not happened yet

These would be artists still alive and performing regularly but never get a look in. My suggestions are:

Todd Rundgren - frequently in the UK. The master of psychedelic wizardry himself - never played

Dweezil Zappa - as close to the real thing as it gets.Tours the UK regularly and played at High Voltage festival a few years ago

Santana - the ultimate festival band and Woodstock heroes - never played

Jefferson Starship - another legendary West Coast outfit who tour here regularly - zilch.

You've only listed 4. I'm guessing swifty as the 5th is implicit right Martin?

Has Feist ever played? Love to see her there.

Has she done anything as good a song as My Moon My Man?

She could do that and the Boys Noize remix supplemented with a video with me making a tit of myself on the travelators in Manchester airport. This is my ambition.

Has she done anything as good a song as My Moon My Man?

She could do that and the Boys Noize remix supplemented with a video with me making a tit of myself on the travelators in Manchester airport. This is my ambition.

We all need ambitions in life ;)

Her last album, Metals, was pretty damn good.