Laura Marling..

gigs

loved her first couple of albums, but not convinced by the weird American accent she's developed more recently. That said, the current single is great, although I didn't recognise it as her (largely due to said weird accent).

That's because it sounds so much like Cat Power it's untrue. That's not to say it's not brilliant, but the similarities are uncanny.

Agreed, somewhat lacking in atmosphere - she suits a smaller stage. I remember choosing to watch her on The Park Stage at Glastonbury, over Muse on the Pyramid in 2010. At the time (when it's fair to say I was somewhat in love with her) it was the right choice - it was wonderful. However, having seen her about 3 times since (and never having seen Muse), I'm somewhat regretful.

Agreed, somewhat lacking in atmosphere - she suits a smaller stage. I remember choosing to watch her on The Park Stage at Glastonbury, over Muse on the Pyramid in 2010. At the time (when it's fair to say I was somewhat in love with her) it was the right choice - it was wonderful. However, having seen her about 3 times since (and never having seen Muse), I'm somewhat regretful.

This is actually a complete lie (damn you, booze). It was Midlake who clashed with Muse, Miss Marling was either just before or another night. Either way, the key facts remain, a)she was great (as were Midlake), B) I've still never seen Muse (and probably never will), c) I've seen Midlake about half a dozen times now, so am slightly regretful.

True, but I doubt I'll see them. My days of 'big' festivals are drawing to an end I think, and same with gigs really - anything over a few hundred people is too many.

On Midlake, good point about Tim Smith, I was lucky to see them with the original (I assume) line up, but am also really impressed with the post-Tim sound. I love Antiphon and saw them on that tour and thought they were brilliant.

have to say I get the idea that Laura is very, very good but just doesn't do it for me at a festival (and I have tried two or three times, honestly).

there is something too earnest, too nice. and I realise that the problem is me because i would happily listen to half an album (say) when cooking dinner.

I do still think it was funny just how loud Kurt Vile was a couple of years ago in the tent drowning out her delicate tones on the Woods.

sorry Ms Marling.