2015: the bands you're most looking forward to seeing (a rolling thread!)

WM Hall

same rules as last year

make a list (IN ORDER) of the bands you're most excited to see at this year's EOTR, whether you've seen them before or not. Maximum 10 bands!

when the next bands are announced, update your list!

1. Sufjan Stevens

2. Natalie Prass

3. Future Islands

4. Mac DeMarco

5. Sleaford Mods

6. Kiran Leonard

7. Euros Childs

8. Saint Etienne

9. Flo Morrissey

10. Julie Byrne

Edited by WM Hall

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not going this year. Which is a bit naff.

BUT.....if i WAS going, I would say EVERYONE should see Nadine Shah. Just an AMAZING voice, and with songs to match. Moody brilliance. AND, if she was to do a 'secret' gig at that piano, that would be just.........well......i lack the vocabulary to descripe how brilliant that would be......

At the moment;

Sufjan

My Morning Jacket

Pond

Low

Giant Sand

Nadine Shah

(who rank top as I haven't seen them before)

Then;

The war on drugs

Tame Impala

Mark Lanegan Band

Laura Marling

Django Django

Delines

(Who I have seen before)

Balls, that's 12.... sorry.

I haven't done any investigation of unknowns yet, so hopefully many more nearer the time. Cracking line up in my opinion.

Django Django

Sufjan Stevens

Laura Marling

War On Drugs

Low

St Etienne

Joanna Gruesome

Sleaford Mods

Fat White Family

Alvvays

Loads more that I've heard the odd track on Spotify etc that I'm looking forward to checking out depending on clashes.

I just listened to Carrie and Lowell for the first time. Nice but underwhelming (in the context of a festival headliner on the Woods stage) and a bit 'samey' as the album progressed. I'm sure there are plenty who will find Sufjan's gentle and tender folk-pop entertaining, but while I respect his talents, I think my tastes need a little more instant gratification, amplified guitars, beats, etc. So I'll be in the minority who are more looking forward to Tame Impala then... and yes I did think The Flaming Lips were the best thing about 2014 ;-)

I just listened to Carrie and Lowell for the first time. Nice but underwhelming (in the context of a festival headliner on the Woods stage) and a bit 'samey' as the album progressed. I'm sure there are plenty who will find Sufjan's gentle and tender folk-pop entertaining, but while I respect his talents, I think my tastes need a little more instant gratification, amplified guitars, beats, etc. So I'll be in the minority who are more looking forward to Tame Impala then... and yes I did think The Flaming Lips were the best thing about 2014 ;-)

Yeah I have to agree with you on the sufjan album. I have been listening to it for a couple of weeks. Its lovely don't get me wrong. But towards the back end of the album for me it was lacking a bit of variety .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just added Rylie Walker to my list (and high up in the list), after listening to a few Youtube clips, some of his stuff is very reminiscent of the late great John Martyn:

Love Ryley Walker's new album. He's my number 1 must see. Well, obvs it's Sufjan really, by Ryley is number 2. All I can say is I hope they stagger the acts for Sufjan because not many are going to miss the chance of seeing him, meaning it's going to be empty elsewhere. The Woods stage is going to be RAMMED!

Just heard This is the Kit for the first time. Check them out. Lovely stuff. Didn't know they were playing. Chuffed they are.

"Earthquake" off the last album "Wriggle Out the Restless" is an absolute belter, if a little unrepresentative of the rest of their sound. Would be perfect on the Garden Stage in the afternoon sunshine, woozy from a real ale or two!

Edited by paulwa

That I've seen before :

The War on Drugs

My Morning Jacket

Andrew Combs

That I've not seen before :

Crushed Beaks

Flo Morrissey

Girlpool

Joanna Gruesome

Nadine Shah

The Black Tamborines

The Duke Spirit

Actually there's a whole load of others that I've not seen before that I'm really looking forward to (e.g. Ex Hex, Ryley Walker, Natalie Prass), but it looks as though I'll get the chance to see them elsewhere before EOTR, so omitting them here helps to keep this list to the allotted 10.