Night time activity at EotR?

oysterboy

Hi, I am going to End of the Road for the first time in 2015 (super excited!) and wanted to enquire about whether there are any night activities? i.e. Do most people stay until Monday, and if they do stay, is there lots to do? Also, when do people typically arrive for the festival? I'm wondering how many precious holiday days i should be taking for this.

Thank you!

You will love it!

An increasing number of people arrive on Thurs, but most still arrive on Fri afternoon. There is music in limited areas till (I think) 3am on Fri and Sat nights, but I think most things shut down at 11pm on Sunday - loads of people stay till Monday though.

Part of the attraction for me is that night-times are generally pretty quiet, there is very little disturbance (or 'entertainment') in the campsites.

There's some areas open Thursday night until 3am as well. More than Sunday but not as much as Friday and Saturday.

Not a lot goes on in the campsites, but the arena and woods are still open. It's quite a pleasant atmosphere, but it's mostly atmosphere more than activity. Really cool though.

I think the reason the campsites tend to be quiet at night is that you're in early September, in a relatively high up, exposed position in the campsite and for most people its cold enough that you don't want to be sitting around outside chatting. You certainly notice the temperature drop when the sun goes down.

Personally I'll be there for when the gates open on the Thursday. There isn't much going on on the Thursday though. There will be 4 or 5 acts on in the smallest (tented) stage and the cinema tent will be showing stuff, but most folk will be happily catching up with friends while sampling the cider and real ales available.

Tipi Tent, the 'smallest stage' has 'secret sets' on Fri, Sat & Sun that go on until around 3am. These are usually 2nd sets by artists that have appeared elsewhere on site, normally that same day.

They are called 'secret' because they used to be just that. However last year it was possible to work most of them out through internet / twitter etc or just by peeping at the list on the sound mixing desk!

Comedy can be until 1am-ish. Certainly Knightmare in the Woods was last year.

Not sure what time the outside disco or the silent disco both finish. They are normally still going when I bimble off to my tent at 2 or 3 am

You'll love the festival. I come away every year with a shed-load of 'discoveries' that cost me a fortune in CDs in the following months!!

Yes, lack of sleep was always my camping bugbear. First two years we camped in the section adjacent to the Woods Stage and even that was ok. Last year we made the effort of carting our things up to the monument/folly area and it was as quiet as it is at home. Like the option of staying up late but without being kept up all night.

The outside disco stays open until 3am where is promptly (but naturally) comes to an end. It's an amazing disco with a really cool floor lighting instalment (feels like a groovy 70's disco kind of thing).

The silent disco is where you can pay (I think it was a £10 deposit which you do get back) and dance till 3am too - this one is centred mainly for the kids and teenagers tbh while the outside disco has a lot of older songs played. On the sunday last year Richard Hawley did an amazing set on the outside disco where he solely played vinyl for 3 and a half hours - it was fantastic!

You'll love EOTR - I went last year for the first time stewarding and as soon as applications opened this year I got straight on it without hesitation. It is my favourite festival I've ever been to so far :D

Looking to meet, looking to join happy campers group? Looking to join also tent share scheme? Victor and Inez got own tent. Happy to share cooking, bringing own sausages!!

Also more info on late night. Victor also looking to steard, some simon guy tell him music finishing 10.30 because of numbers increase restrictions, must be maybe acoustic somewhere? People arrange things etc. Anyone tell when last buses go on Monday/

• 3 months later...

Never understood people taking a guitar, bongos or worst of all, a f*****g ukulele to a festival.

If you were any good you'd be booked and paid to play, not sat around your tent playing a shit version of Wonderwall at 4am. 

Please, out of respect for your fellow campers, no guitars on the campsite. 

There are usually a couple of talented guitarists hanging out at the big ('in arena') campfire near the Cider bus/Tipi tent. Now that is nice, really good, because it doesn't keep people wanting to sleep awake all night.

Edited by LowerMead

Never understood people taking a guitar, bongos or worst of all, a f*****g ukulele to a festival.

If you were any good you'd be booked and paid to play, not sat around your tent playing a shit version of Wonderwall at 4am. 

Please, out of respect for your fellow campers, no guitars on the campsite. 

There are usually a couple of talented guitarists hanging out at the big ('in arena') campfire near the Cider bus/Tipi tent. Now that is nice, really good, because it doesn't keep people wanting to sleep awake all night.

Love this . So true.