Most Unpopular Headliners in Recent Years

st dan

Speaking in terms of announcements only and not the performances themselves .. After the mixed reactions to the Kanye announcement tonight .. You'd have to say he's up there with one of the most 'unpopular' headliners of recent years.

Who were the others?

Edited by st dan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's probably best to reserve any actual intelligent conversation about this sort of thing until after Kanye's performed, don't you? Imagine the publicity Glastonbury have got today; "all publicity is good publicity" and all that.

The sheer revulsion in Kanye's announcement seems to be distinctly up a notch on Metallica and Jay Z from what I can rememeber. Hugely devicive and very little of it about the mans music.

yep definitely - not one comment i've seen has been 'oh no, his music's shit'. it's all been 'oh god, he's a dickhead' or 'bet he brings the fucking kardashians' etc

Yeah, but I mean Polarising people.

- Definitely yes

- Definitely no.

There doesn't seen to be a middle ground.

Got ya. I think Jay Z and tbh probably Metallica were v similar, people will go check Kanye just to see what the fuss is about but you are right, a lot of people will categorically say they arent going - although I think there were a lot like that for those 2 aswell.

I just cant believe people didnt get this upset when mumford and sons headlined, theyre far more offensive

The Jay-Z year was different because tickets hadn't sold. As a result, it was more of a weird debate sparked by the Gallagher comments than the outright anger and disdain thats been visible in the Metallica and Kanye announcements.

Lots more places to show anger publically these days as well. I would only have really been reading and talking about Glasto on these very boards in 07/08

Edited by Alcatraz

Kayne West, Jay Z, Metallica ... and I think Arcade Fire too had lots of people scratching their heads.

Arcade Fire was hilarious because people just didn't know who they were. i seriously don't know how you can go to festivals and be totally ignorant to a band that's at headliner level

Mumford and sons are by far the weakest headliner they've ever had. I don't give a shit that they sold loads of albums, piss poor booking it was and I'm sure it dragged all the sheep to watch them hence a big crowd.

Kanye west isnt my thing but at least it won't be bland, drab shite.

It's a bloke shouting.

I'll be elsewhere

Kayne West, Jay Z and Metallica are from genres not represented heavily at Glastonbury, hence the disgruntlement. Arcade Fire, on the other hand, are from the right genre ... but if Mr Joe Average doesn't know who they are, then disgruntlement is unsurprising. With Kasabian being the most 'apt' act, last years entire headliner trio were the smallest Glastonbury trio for over a decade.

Arcade Fire was hilarious because people just didn't know who they were. i seriously don't know how you can go to festivals and be totally ignorant to a band that's at headliner level

I was flabbergasted by the ignorance of people who were straight up 'who the fuck are Arcade Fire', I'm right with you there I don't know how someone could be unawares if them if they go to festivals/ take an interest in music

I wonder if those a bit less brain adled than I can remember the reaction to Kylie being announced (for 05)?

I remember there being disappointment when she pulled out, if that's any help. Although that might have been at least partly fuelled by people being sympathetic for her illness.

Edited by Zac Quinn

I wonder if those a bit less brain adled than I can remember the reaction to Kylie being announced (for 05)?

It's hard to imagine a modern day equivalent hit maker not getting a load of shit if they were to be announced

i bet that was a shitstorm - and even moreso when she pulled out and was replaced by Basement Jaxx haha