Kanye west confirmed

mike99

He’s been dropping music all year and no one has given a shit. I honestly think Kanye is done. People have had enough and they find it uncomfortable to watch now.

People who still talk highly of him don’t touch his newer stuff and are a bit detached from what he does now. My flatmate is a massive Kanye fan but I don’t think he listens to stuff after Yeezus.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

He’s been dropping music all year and no one has given a shit. I honestly think Kanye is done. People have had enough and they find it uncomfortable to watch now.

People who still talk highly of him don’t touch his newer stuff and are a bit detached from what he does now. My flatmate is a massive Kanye fan but I don’t think he listens to stuff after Yeezus.

Dropping music all year? Was it not just that one shit Nah Nah Nah song? (edit: oh no wait Wash Us in the Blood too, although that got a bit of hype, although notably muted for Kanye I agree).

I think everybody is well aware that he’s not the artist he once was, but that doesn’t remove the fact that for a long time - longer than any other hip hop artist I can think of - he was dropping solid classic albums regularly. Suppose he had to fall off eventually - it was just more apparent with Kanye as the drop off was so instant.

Its a shame that his mental state has finally caught up with him, and I really hope the divorce pushes him to seek proper help rather than what I fear is the more likely scenario and pushes him further the other way. 

Edited by FloorFiller

Wash Us In The Blood was amazing but the last one took away from it. What he needs is a normal release with a schedule that he sticks to and marketed without controversial outlandish statements, it's impossible to get hype for the guy coz you never know if he'll even drop anything and you spend the whole run up having to defend him in your own mind.

I appreciate his mental struggles though and if he got a grip on that and never released anything again I'd see that as a happy ending.

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Dropping music all year? Was it not just that one shit Nah Nah Nah song? (edit: oh no wait Wash Us in the Blood too, although that got a bit of hype, although notably muted for Kanye I agree).

I think everybody is well aware that he’s not the artist he once was, but that doesn’t remove the fact that for a long time - longer than any other hip hop artist I can think of - he was dropping solid classic albums regularly. Suppose he had to fall off eventually - it was just more apparent with Kanye as the drop off was so instant.

Its a shame that his mental state has finally caught up with him, and I really hope the divorce pushes him to seek proper help rather than what I fear is the more likely scenario and pushes him further the other way. 

Yeah, I agree that he's done basically nothing. Wash us in the Blood gave me some hope, but I'm giving up on looking forward to Kanye releases now when he constantly delays his albums. His new Sunday Service record was interesting and it did show how he can produce pretty much anything, but the glory days are behind us.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Eh if he comes back with a good release then people will just talk of JIK as a weird blip in his ever evolving career. Kids See Ghosts was in 2018 which was really popular and TLOP is surely just as popular as Yeezus.

28 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Eh if he comes back with a good release then people will just talk of JIK as a weird blip in his ever evolving career. Kids See Ghosts was in 2018 which was really popular and TLOP is surely just as popular as Yeezus.

I tend to think that KSG was absolutely solid, but he should've halted at TLOP. Ye was pretty poor in comparison and JIK was even worse. Although Jesus Is Born (Sunday Service Choir) redeemed it very well.

33 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Kids See Ghosts was a fantastic album and went down well with the critiques but I wouldn’t say it was a massive commercial success?

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kids See Ghosts was a fantastic album and went down well with the critiques but I wouldn’t say it was a massive commercial success?

It's interesting, I think it could've been if it was better promoted. The single show they did at CFG was incredible, I would've certainly attended a global tour. I think it's possible that Kanye just had too much going on to give it the attention it deserves. Cudi is now coming into the spotlight more (recent collaboration with Eminem, quite a few with Travis Scott) so perhaps another KSG album will be more within the mainstream.

Kids See Ghosts was a near perfect album imo and would be given much more acclaim had it been another 20 minutes longer. Him and Cudi releasing KSG2 would be great as they definitely bring out the best in each other.

Kanye still has plenty to offer and can make music that is up there with his best, but he's totally lost the ambition to put together a fully cohesive hour-long piece and I think maybe even the ambition to hone his finest ideas.

If the divorce does happen, I could see him going fully into dad-mode or down a much, much darker path. Whether either outcome creates music or not isn't really important at this point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

who cares about that though? I don't rate an album based on how much money the music execs made. In fact it's probably best for someone with bi polar to stay out of the whole promotion and tour engine. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Not really my point tho. You were saying that people who talk highly of him don't talk of his newer stuff, but I'm sure many would say that KSG is one of his best projects.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Welp looks like the long rumoured Kimye divorce is finally happening. A couple of years back I’d be inclined to make a ‘get hyped for 808s part 2’ comment, but honestly I’m just worried for what this’ll do to Kanye’s mental state. 

Isn't the bloke reaping what he's sewn a little bit? I mean, even as a fan of his music it's can't be denied what an utter knob of a bloke he is. I mean supporting someone who ignored anything going on in the world right now.

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Isn't the bloke reaping what he's sewn a little bit? I mean, even as a fan of his music it's can't be denied what an utter knob of a bloke he is. I mean supporting someone who ignored anything going on in the world right now.

He is human. He is fallible, just like the rest of us. He’s mentally unwell and a divorce for anyone will be traumatic to varying degrees. To say ‘Isn't the bloke reaping what he’s sewn a little bit?’ is not only ignorant but also immature. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

He is human. He is fallible, just like the rest of us. He’s mentally unwell and a divorce for anyone will be traumatic to varying degrees. To say ‘Isn't the bloke reaping what he’s sewn a little bit?’ is not only ignorant but also immature. 

Leaving aside his personal issues as you've mentioned, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect his support for Trump in particular to massively bite him on the ass, commercially speaking. 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I can't say that I am a huge fan of his work, *cliché alert* his earlier stuff was better but I saw him in a different light in his podcast with Joe Rogan. I'm not au fait with his particular condition but he did come across as quite manic during that interview, his mind seems to work at a thousand mph. Just when I found myself understanding and even agreeing with some of his "three dimensional" thinking, he'd moved onto another subject without concluding the last. I appreciate that it's very difficult to gauge the personality of someone within a three hour timeframe but it's much better than a TMZ soundbite. I'm not entirely sure his support for DT was genuine but who knows? It's difficult to tell what's a publicity stunt and what's genuine from most "celebrities" these days.

In my experience, mental illness can make us all act in ways that could be deemed annoying, inappropriate or offensive but at the same time, I've been on the wrong end of persistent, even abusive behaviour and you can only be supportive for so long. All I'd say to you is, try not to be judgmental. Despite his wealth, fame and underneath all the bravado he's just as vulnerable as the rest of us. If he does need help, I hope he gets it, as whatever you think of his personality, he's made a fantastic cultural contribution over the last 15 years or so.

• Upvote 1

He said he liked Donald Trump becoming president because it made him think that he too could become president. He has previously said his political beliefs were more aligned with Bernie, so I feel like it's more support for a non-politician becoming president than anything else. 

I also think that anybody who jumps on the hate bandwagon that is aware of Kanye's mental health issues needs to take a look at themselves. If you're going off TMZ headlines and a few clips then you can be forgiven for thinking he's a dick, but ultimately there's plenty of great references from people he's worked closely with.

There's a reason why Kanye fans can be quite intense. It can be a very back-to-the-wall experience trying to defend a man that ultimately has a good heart and tries to do things that genuinely help people, where as there are many, many other celebrities out there that seem like genuinely nasty people that are loved.

If Kanye had a PR team that he'd listen to he'd be seen in such a different light, but he doesn't because ultimately he doesn't need a PR team.

20 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

I also think that anybody who jumps on the hate bandwagon that is aware of Kanye's mental health issues needs to take a look at themselves.

I think that is oversimplifying a wee bit in the other direction.  It's entirely possible for someone to both have mental problems and be a dick; they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.  Entirely believable that bipolar can produce out of character behaviour but also massively exaggerate certain existing aspects of character.  I'm always a bit wary of using illness as an excuse (not the right word I know but all I can think of right now) for behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think that is oversimplifying a wee bit in the other direction.  It's entirely possible for someone to both have mental problems and be a dick; they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.  Entirely believable that bipolar can produce out of character behaviour but also massively exaggerate certain existing aspects of character.  I'm always a bit wary of using illness as an excuse (not the right word I know but all I can think of right now) for behaviour.

Exactly this. I know people with mental health problems who are lovely warm, caring people. I know people with mental health problems who are narcissistic arseholes. Stephen Fry is one of peoples most oft requested fantasy dinner guests and he has a similar mental health problem. Donald Trump clearly has mental health issues and is a horrible person.

I actually think it's very unfair on people with mental health issues to excuse all character flaws as being down to their mental health problem because if you know one of the arseholes and people excuse it because of their mental health issues it's going to make you less trusting of a lovely, warm and caring person who says they have the same diagnosis. 

I mean seriously that hologram and the things he made it say made me think he was a creepy, controlling douche and I say this as someone who has a family member who suffers from Bipolar. Yes during acute episodes she can be challenging but she is always caring, kind  and not a massive egotist. 

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, I agree with that, but I think at the moment something becomes a bandwagon and somebody is clearly suffering in public then that's pretty vile behaviour. I don't understand why somebody would need to outwardly express hate at somebody that they don't know, but that's multiplied when the person in question has such widely publicised issues.

16 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

Yeah, I agree with that, but I think at the moment something becomes a bandwagon and somebody is clearly suffering in public then that's pretty vile behaviour. I don't understand why somebody would need to outwardly express hate at somebody that they don't know, but that's multiplied when the person in question has such widely publicised issues.

Bandwagon jumping is definitely a problem, agreed. SM pile-ons are an absolute nightmare.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I can't say that I am a huge fan of his work, *cliché alert* his earlier stuff was better but I saw him in a different light in his podcast with Joe Rogan. I'm not au fait with his particular condition but he did come across as quite manic during that interview, his mind seems to work at a thousand mph. Just when I found myself understanding and even agreeing with some of his "three dimensional" thinking, he'd moved onto another subject without concluding the last. I appreciate that it's very difficult to gauge the personality of someone within a three hour timeframe but it's much better than a TMZ soundbite. I'm not entirely sure his support for DT was genuine but who knows? It's difficult to tell what's a publicity stunt and what's genuine from most "celebrities" these days.

In my experience, mental illness can make us all act in ways that could be deemed annoying, inappropriate or offensive but at the same time, I've been on the wrong end of persistent, even abusive behaviour and you can only be supportive for so long. All I'd say to you is, try not to be judgmental. Despite his wealth, fame and underneath all the bravado he's just as vulnerable as the rest of us. If he does need help, I hope he gets it, as whatever you think of his personality, he's made a fantastic cultural contribution over the last 15 years or so.

My thinking to this is closer to Quarks below. 

On 1/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, OffshoreToon said:

He said he liked Donald Trump becoming president because it made him think that he too could become president. He has previously said his political beliefs were more aligned with Bernie, so I feel like it's more support for a non-politician becoming president than anything else. 

I also think that anybody who jumps on the hate bandwagon that is aware of Kanye's mental health issues needs to take a look at themselves. If you're going off TMZ headlines and a few clips then you can be forgiven for thinking he's a dick, but ultimately there's plenty of great references from people he's worked closely with.

There's a reason why Kanye fans can be quite intense. It can be a very back-to-the-wall experience trying to defend a man that ultimately has a good heart and tries to do things that genuinely help people, where as there are many, many other celebrities out there that seem like genuinely nasty people that are loved.

If Kanye had a PR team that he'd listen to he'd be seen in such a different light, but he doesn't because ultimately he doesn't need a PR team.

Maybe that's the thing. Maybe he did need a team to control his arse a few times.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:31 PM, Quark said:

I agree with a lot of this.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Andre91 said:

Obviously I expected yourself to come in and fair enough. But let's get one thing totally straight, he was a gob shite arse before any of this marriage breakup stuff. Years back and way before when it was the happy days he was. It's not immature to see someone who hasn't helped himself in anyway way before this and like Quark said again, being mentally ill doesn't excuse you from being a dick. Hasn't even really made a secret of his way has he in the last 15 years. There are music artists of whose music I like but if I think they are knobs then Ill agree and accept it.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:21 PM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Leaving aside his personal issues as you've mentioned, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect his support for Trump in particular to massively bite him on the ass, commercially speaking. 

Not at all. For me that just lowered my expectations. And if as said there was publicity stunt involved at all then that just adds to it.