Kanye west confirmed

mike99

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

omfg, I've just listened to Graduation for the first time in years (reckon not done a full one since before MBDTF) and it's nothing like I remember, it's fucking incredible. I was surprised when I looked on my iTunes plays (because I've only ever had one iTunes library in my life, despite about 6 computer changes, am fookin magic) and saw that Graduation dominates the top end of the list, so thought I should go back, good decision. There's barely any slack in there (yeah, Drunk And Hot Girls's lyrics and delivery are horrible, but that beat is a killer), and it's probably got more range than any other Kanye album, he pulls it all off outrageously well. I reckon this could potentially his best album. Revised listing!

MBDTF > Graduation > Yeezus > Dropout > Pablo > Late Registration > 808s > WTT

No shade on 808s being that low, listening now and it's comfortably a 9/10 at least. Kanye's just fucking brilliant isn't he?

Also I reckon list threads could be good for us to keep going across the fallow; like my iTunes top 25 is an eerie autobiography, hadn't really looked at it before today, could have a nice thread where we all post them and we can peer at each others' top 25s and harshly judge.

I did this today with 808s and Heartbreak. Never liked it that much but had it on today and it fucking banged.

6 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Also I reckon list threads could be good for us to keep going across the fallow; like my iTunes top 25 is an eerie autobiography, hadn't really looked at it before today, could have a nice thread where we all post them and we can peer at each others' top 25s and harshly judge.

Wish I could. You must be the only cat with foresight to keep a library for over a decade without best versions of yr self erasing them. I'm stuck here using my memory to recall what I listened to like a deadbeat.

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Holla to Burn by Usher

Being told to "let it burn" by Usher has recently gone out of vogue my man.

Edited by dentalplan

Still representing last.fm. My stats are very skewed towards my most listened to albums from when I was 16 or so - Funeral, Hospice, In Rainbows, Microcastle, Illinois. Reinforces what I already know about me being a stickler for albums though.

Edited by Tuna

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

I know Ye gets a lot of people calling for the old stuff blah blah blah fair enough but personally, I started getting really into it from 808s tbh. Don't think it's the dud some people make out! Other than that MBDTF is obv #1 and TLOP > Yeezus for me lads. 

808's only comes bottom of the list for most people because out of all his masterpieces, it's the slightly lesser one. Still a fantastic album, and there's no doubting the huge influence it's had on a LOT of today's current artists/music (Drake, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean etc all owe a lot to it I'm sure). For me it just has a few more dud tracks than usual with a Kanye release (Amazing, Robocop, and I personally find think Heartless is ageing horribly). 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Still a fantastic album, and there's no doubting the huge influence it's had on a LOT of today's current artists/music (Drake, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean etc all owe a lot to it I'm sure).

This is 100% the way I feel about it. When I listen to it, I can just hear how everything else came after.

Like I said - I've never delved deep enough to allow myself to be gripped by the early stuff in the same way I have the more recent. Don't know whether that's just a preference or what. 

I don't have an issue with 808s, it's just not really my style. Yeezus is my favorite but probably not his best, it just hits all the right buttons for me. I still think Graduation is his worst. So I end up with something like Yeezus>MBDTF>College>TLOP>Late>808>Graduation. He's one of them that doesn't really have a dud though so I'm always happy to go through them to check if that's still the case.

Became kinda obsessed with my top 25 most played when using an ipod to the extent that I ended up resetting my account, something I immediately regretted. 5 years laters, I then failed to export my plays from itunes to last.fm (apparently you only had one chance to nail it) so I reset it again in frustration. Got right into in using last.fm/tweekly, but that fell by the wayside when moving to Apple Music so it rarely picks up anything I play.

Also - Graduation is by far the worst album he's done imo. I really went off him for a couple of years when that came out, helped no doubt by that stinker of a show he played at Manchester Apollo around that period. 

Reading this thread is my first realisation that 808's isn't universally loved. Thought I was the only one who didn't have it top 5.

Pablo and College Dropout are interchangeable in 3rd/4th for me after Graduation and MBDTF.

Interestingly the 808's thing isn't the most shocked I've been at a hip hop list lately. I read that Kendrick had ranked DAMN. at #1 and TPAB #3 in his list of best albums. Can only assume that he was trying to promote the new album or that the man has indeed gone mental.

Edited by ConorC

if 808s feels dated now it's probably mainly because, like FF was alluding to, other people have come along and done the same thing slightly better since. Still some absolute belters on it tho, when taken in context of where his personal life was at the time Heartless will forever be devastating IMO.

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Nah, Heartless is outstanding, Quinnerz is on the money with his assessment. Mind you, I'd switch it out in setlists for the all time #banger Love Lockdown if it were up to me.

Likewise. Think Heartless' mainstay in his setlists over any other tracks from the album makes me dislike it even more. Love Lockdown is an absolute stormer. Paranoid from that album is also a forgotten about pop banger.

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Does he never do Love Lockdown live? Top 5 tune of his.

Speaking of live, when do people reckon he'll be back on our shores? I read he was planning on resuming touring at the start of 2018. Here next autumn? Or even festival season?

There was an interview with someone quite high up with Live Nation (can't remember who) and he said Kanye was touring Europe in 2018.

• 1 month later...