Kanye west confirmed

mike99

oh man I can't believe I forgot this one, massive tune

the way they just bounce off each other works amazingly live, WTT certainly isn't the best album in the yeezy catalogue, but I'd be lying if I said a Jay-Z guest appearance wouldn't make me go absolute wild.

I'm sort of hoping there's no one clashing with him that I'm bothered about now, all this backlash makes me think there'll be a proper buzz around his performance and I think it could turn out to be quite enjoyable for me.

Looking at your dp and just as an excuse to spout my opinion, my tied top 2 gigs of 2014: Kanye and Slowdive.

the way they just bounce off each other works amazingly live, WTT certainly isn't the best album in the yeezy catalogue, but I'd be lying if I said a Jay-Z guest appearance wouldn't make me go absolute wild.
so frustrating how weak the second half of WTT is compared to the first. It's the hip-hop equivalent of Hot Fuss by The Killers.

so frustrating how weak the second half of WTT is compared to the first. It's the hip-hop equivalent of Hot Fuss by The Killers.

I used to think that but these days I really enjoy That's My Bitch, Murder to Excellence, Welcome to the Jungle and Who Gon Stop Me.

Great album for me, with only two or three that I skip regularly.

I'm 45 years old, been to many many Glastos and seen various different changes of fashion and headliners and I can honestly say I think Kanye West is going to be a big fail. I'm a fan of all music and I'm a big hiphop fan of past and present, even Jay z was a decent booking but Kanye....just wrong place wrong time. I realise GF has to "keep up with the kids" and all that but I reckon this is a wrongun. He isn't headliner material whether "headliner" status is defined by huge or upcoming musicians.

To throw one out there.....maybe Future Islands could have had the same slot?

• Downvote 5

I'm a huge rocker. I still massively enjoy thrash metal, death metal and even black metal! The posters in my room would suggest a rock fan. I have begun to really enjoy the grunge era and industrial nu metal era! I play a Jackson guitar through two Marshall amps on their overdrive channels. I really am a rock fan.

A Kanye West fan you'd think not.

Well rap is a genre I am just beginning to understand. I saw Eminem at Reading and was very pleasantly surprised, and I'm very open to a good rap set. The energy and passion and arrogance on stage with loud bass drums and synths is a great part of performing art.

Just like heavier bands are a rarity at Glasto I believe that rap is as well I'm pleased to have Kanye a fresh headliner.

Who cares if he's an arrogant person (I'm not sure if he is really as bad as he is made out to be) the Pryamid is a big stage and in this case arrogance will help fill it.

This era of Coldplay and Mumford and Sons needs to end now.

If that era ends and is replaced by the likes of Kanye west, Beyonce et al then the festival as we knew it will change beyond recognition

I'm 45 years old, been to many many Glastos and seen various different changes of fashion and headliners and I can honestly say I think Kanye West is going to be a big fail. I'm a fan of all music and I'm a big hiphop fan of past and present, even Jay z was a decent booking but Kanye....just wrong place wrong time. I realise GF has to "keep up with the kids" and all that but I reckon this is a wrongun. He isn't headliner material whether "headliner" status is defined by huge or upcoming musicians.

To throw one out there.....maybe Future Islands could have had the same slot?

So, he's not a credible headliner in terms of size, and they should replace him with... Future Islands? Whatever you've been smoking, can you bring some to the festival? It sounds potent.

• Upvote 2

I"m watching this interview from Kanye with Zane Lowe at the moment. It's interesting stuff. He's obviously mixed up with what he thinks, but also clearly some interesting ideas in there, love the stuff about 'exclusivity' being the new thing to fight against and how stuff sould be affordable, also admitting he was wrong, that he makes a lot of mistakes. It's worth a watch. More than anyone else he reminds me of Russel Brand, feeling his way through life, trying to suss out how it works but having to do it in public. Not an easy thing to do

(but by God, that Zane Lowe is a tool)

“The class system is the new racism,” he opined. “Class is the new way to discriminate against people. To hold people down. To hold people in their place based on where their kids go to school, how much money they make … I tweeted black lives matter, but all lives matter. My doorman is more important to me than the head of any company.”

Lucky doorman. And there was more: “There’s still the word ‘exclusivity’ being thrown around,” he said. “Exclusivity is the new n-word, because nothing should be exclusive. Everybody should have the opportunity to drink from the same fountain. The idea of exclusivity is the new coloured people fountain concept!”

Edited by Mardy

No Winslow, he's not a credible headliner because he just shouldn't be a headliner, for Glasto at least. I'm not saying he shouldn't be booked at all but as a headliner, no. I think GF are pushing the boundaries in the wrong direction. If every mainstream hiphop artist is a headliner for the next god knows how many years then that's shite. And don't forget I love hiphop, just not for an end of the night climax, so to speak!

• Downvote 1

No Winslow, he's not a credible headliner because he just shouldn't be a headliner, for Glasto at least. I'm not saying he shouldn't be booked at all but as a headliner, no. I think GF are pushing the boundaries in the wrong direction. If every mainstream hiphop artist is a headliner for the next god knows how many years then that's shite. And don't forget I love hiphop, just not for an end of the night climax, so to speak!

Sound logic. "He shouldn't headline because he shouldn't!"

he's one of the biggest acts in the world.

if he plays, he's of course a headliner.

i thought your Future Islands suggestion was the stupidest post of this page, but you've managed to outdo yourself.

I"m watching this interview from Kanye with Zane Lowe at the moment. It's interesting stuff. He's obviously mixed up with what he thinks, but also clearly some interesting ideas in there, love the stuff about 'exclusivity' being the new thing to fight against and how stuff sould be affordable, also admitting he was wrong, that he makes a lot of mistakes. It's worth a watch. More than anyone else he reminds me of Russel Brand, feeling his way through life, trying to suss out how it works but having to do it in public. Not an easy thing to do

(but by God, that Zane Lowe is a tool)

“The class system is the new racism,” he opined. “Class is the new way to discriminate against people. To hold people down. To hold people in their place based on where their kids go to school, how much money they make … I tweeted black lives matter, but all lives matter. My doorman is more important to me than the head of any company.”

Lucky doorman. And there was more: “There’s still the word ‘exclusivity’ being thrown around,” he said. “Exclusivity is the new n-word, because nothing should be exclusive. Everybody should have the opportunity to drink from the same fountain. The idea of exclusivity is the new coloured people fountain concept!”

Definitely, and it's those contradictions that get played out in his music. It's the whiplash movement between self-aggrandizement and self-doubt that I find so interesting.

Edited by Winslow Leach