Kanye west confirmed

mike99

Here here, well said. A lot of people do seem to be forgetting this is a Festival of Performing Arts and not another Rock Festival.

I'm no Kanye fan, but I'll happily use the opportunity to go and see something on another stage, and would never deny someone who's a big fan of the opportunity to see him headline.

I'm a huge rocker. I still massively enjoy thrash metal, death metal and even black metal! The posters in my room would suggest a rock fan. I have begun to really enjoy the grunge era and industrial nu metal era! I play a Jackson guitar through two Marshall amps on their overdrive channels. I really am a rock fan.

A Kanye West fan you'd think not.

Well rap is a genre I am just beginning to understand. I saw Eminem at Reading and was very pleasantly surprised, and I'm very open to a good rap set. The energy and passion and arrogance on stage with loud bass drums and synths is a great part of performing art.

Just like heavier bands are a rarity at Glasto I believe that rap is as well I'm pleased to have Kanye a fresh headliner.

Who cares if he's an arrogant person (I'm not sure if he is really as bad as he is made out to be) the Pryamid is a big stage and in this case arrogance will help fill it.

This era of Coldplay and Mumford and Sons needs to end now.

• Upvote 1

to be fair to the dude, he's playing a predominantly white festival, where hip hop isn't "that" massive in the UK, definitely not compared to the States any way.

I'm also not aware of him coming out and saying anything negative about the backlash so far has he?

He might just be earning a little bit of my respect.

There's always been a good crossover between metal fans and hiphop to my mind.

One of the best gigs I ever attended, I was part of this happy thrashing throng:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMj7yPa6Hg

Anyone who says there's no place for hiphop at glastonbury hasn't got a fucking clue. As for KW, not my thing but he's more than welcome, more so now than ever.

Edited by Spindles

Aye. Not really heard much else by her so can't comment anything else she's done, but that's a seminal moment right there.

she embarrasses everybody else on that track. somebody else said it on here a day or two ago, but Kanye did a great trick there convincing people Nicki Minaj was a decent artist

Agreed, I'd go as far as saying it's the best verse on the whole album by quite a wide margin.

As for her solo stuff, Starships is fucking awful and even she's admitted that Anaconda is a novelty at best. For along time after Monster it seemed like she was just going to slide into paint-by-numbers diva pop territory, but her last album, while extremely patchy overall, does at least prove that she is very talented and can make good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDisyi-iQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCC6AQVYOA

oh and that silly petition has just reached 100k!

It's irrelevant now. Just something for people to do so they feel like they're doing something.

Quote from one of the little Einstein's who signed it: "I shared the hell out of this on Facebook. I never even heard of Glastonbury but I just hate Kanye that much. haha"

It's nothing to do with Glastonbury any more.

Just spent an hour on the Guardian looking through the comments.

The path to madness this way lies.

If I have learned one thing in life, it is that reading the comments on news sites is a doorway into the minds of the criminally insane.

If I have learned one thing in life, it is that reading the comments on news sites is a doorway into the minds of the criminally insane.

Yeah, it's a lot more measured than facebook/twitter comments but there's still plenty of crackpots fuming at the mouth at the thought of having to use the red button to see another act on their telly over the weekend.

I do thoroughly agree! They seem to be massively cynical people who I doubt have even listened decently to a bit of Kanye and are drawing assumptions.

I doubt that they are even that friendly people to know and certainly not the spirited festival folk who have been to the festival.

They keep referring to the 'privileged home county kids'. That's the fucking problem of bands like Mumford and Sons and all this indie tripe. Who I bet they are fans of. Not Kanye West.

I just can't believe it.

Also I can't believe how these people also suggest that it's all to do with the money. When it is known that and suggested in the article by Emily that artists perform at a reduced price for charity. And that Glastonbury is the only real major festival that models its self around charity.

Agggghhhhh ! I can't stand them

Edited by willutalk

Actually, that'll be fun - What's everyone's top 3 Kanye songs?

Mine:

All of the Lights

Gold Digger

Monster

I'm no connoisseur but from the ones I know:

Heard Em Say

Homecoming

Through The Wire

Honourable mentions to I Am A God (the croissant line is an all-time classic), American Boy (tho I'm not sure if this counts as a Kanye song, was on Estelle's album) and All of the Lights (miles better than anything else Rihanna has done since)

Edited by Zac Quinn

I think this needs to be seen some more. Hope he brings an orchestra!

Imagine being there, great showcase of his talent live and the whole gig really shows how good his first two albums are, which i sometimes forget - shame he didn't play family business, yet to find a decent recorded live performance of that on youtube, lets hope glasto puts a change to that (okay my setlist hopes are getting out of hand, c'mon klipper, just be happy he's headlining...)

Edited by klipper

Imagine being there, great showcase of his talent live and the whole gig really shows how good his first two albums are, which i sometimes forget - shame he didn't play family business, yet to find a decent recorded live performance of that on youtube, lets hope glasto puts a change to that (okay my setlist hopes are getting out of hand, c'mon klipper, just be happy he's headlining...)

His talk at the beginning is great as well, "because... I don't wanna mess up my dvd"

2.50 mark right here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=824im-XzeMcstill kick myself that I never went to the College Dropout tour when John Legend was on keys throughout the whole show.