Kanye west confirmed

mike99

Surely I'm not the only person who is

1) not going this year (unless resale works for me), and

2) gutted to miss Kanye?

People might have difficulty separating the man from his music, but the guy's a genius in my opinion. He's a fantastic producer, and although he may not be everybody's favourite rapper, there are few people in hip-hop with such an outrageously eclectic, era-spanning set of skills. Late Registration is hands-down my favourite hip-hop album by anyone, ever.

Edited by CardiffWanderer

I am not going catch up on the 35 pages since he was announced :P I presume most of my feelings have been covered here/elsewhere

Utter utter shite booking, I reacted quite badly to the news and more famous for being dick head celebrity than his music and it does worry me about the vibe /future attendees he will bring....but the pettition to have him canceled annoyed me for some reason, I can't quite put my finger on it. (Almost as bad as the hyperbole that surrounds West and his folowers :P)

Bloody heck mike99 returned with the news!

Edited by LondonTom

I am not going catch up on the 35 pages since he was announced :P I presume most of my feelings have been covered here/elsewhere

Not really mate, no. There have been one or two angry posters, but the majority recognise Kanye's an artist who's reached headliner status and even if they don't like him, there's several dozen other stages they could go and enjoy and - up until Kanye - potentially the Pyramid as well. I'd say eFests' reaction is more measured than the rabid insanity of Facebook and twitter where people just seem to want to let off steam, with or without a ticket.

Utter utter shite booking, I reacted quite badly to the news and more famous for being dick head celebrity than his music and it does worry me about the vibe /future attendees he will bring....but the pettition to have him canceled annoyed me for some reason, I can't quite put my finger on it. (Almost as bad as the hyperbole that surrounds West and his folowers :P)

Bloody heck mike99 returned with the news!

Agreed, white middle class Pitchfork readers can be a nuisance.

• Upvote 1

Unimpressed by this. Not only is the guy a dick but I happen not to like his music either so I shall be elsewhere.

Just looked at the Glastonbury facebook comments for this - Could not find one single positive response to this announcement. Think they got this one wrong.

Aww, well maybe Glastonbury will ring you up next year and book something you DO happen to like.

watched this today

jesus christ Glastonbury is going to be incredible.

Just looked up the setlist for this (shall watch later)

I find it interesting how people say he plays 'all the hits' at festivals

but there are plenty more hits he could put in there at the expense of others (blood on the leaves twice)

The more I see of Kanye, the more I wish tupac was still alive. I do like Tupac. I didn't til I gave him a chance. I've today listened to more kanye than I ver have done and I'm yet to find a tune I like.

Have you heard Kendrick Lamar's new album? It ends with an interview with Tupac edited to sound like he's having a conversation with Lamar.

Have you heard Kendrick Lamar's new album? It ends with an interview with Tupac edited to sound like he's having a conversation with Lamar.

No. Hip hop isn’t really my thing, but I was given a few Tupac tunes to listen to and loved them. Lyrically they were spot on. I read up on him and realised how great he was. I have a couple of albums and really enjoy them. I like Nas too and stuff like NWA.

I think some of the problem I am having with Kanye is his voice. It isn’t “good enough”. He is a bit to whiney for me. Compared to how smooth Tupac or Dre is. It’s like a boy. The production is good, but they are ruined by the rapping for me. When he doesn’t rap – I like the tune. His voice doesn’t work for me. I’m often struggling to hear what he is saying, The rappers I like are more story tellers. He doesn’t seem to do it (I have listened to about 10 tunes - jesus walks is my favourite by a long long way)

I have never listened to Kendrick. I’ll have a listen to him later / tomorrow. See what I think.

I think Dre's big problem is that most of his raps are ghostwritten and most of his best beats were produced by someone else.

In the great East/West hip hop divide I was always a Biggie Smalls fan myself, Tupca just didin't ever work for me, probably because a load of my mates were religiously into him, I grew to dislike him through that I think.

No. Hip hop isn’t really my thing, but I was given a few Tupac tunes to listen to and loved them. Lyrically they were spot on. I read up on him and realised how great he was. I have a couple of albums and really enjoy them. I like Nas too and stuff like NWA.

I think some of the problem I am having with Kanye is his voice. It isn’t “good enough”. He is a bit to whiney for me. Compared to how smooth Tupac or Dre is. It’s like a boy. The production is good, but they are ruined by the rapping for me. When he doesn’t rap – I like the tune. His voice doesn’t work for me. I’m often struggling to hear what he is saying, The rappers I like are more story tellers. He doesn’t seem to do it (I have listened to about 10 tunes - jesus walks is my favourite by a long long way)

I have never listened to Kendrick. I’ll have a listen to him later / tomorrow. See what I think.

Fair enough, if you just don't like the sound of someone's voice then there's just no way round it. I'd recommend giving Kendrick a try though, especially if you like Tupac and Nas.

I think Dre's big problem is that most of his raps are ghostwritten and most of his best beats were produced by someone else.

In the great East/West hip hop divide I was always a Biggie Smalls fan myself, Tupca just didin't ever work for me, probably because a load of my mates were religiously into him, I grew to dislike him through that I think.

I do prefer Biggie's vocals to Tuapc's to be honest. I like that smoother, slightly breathless sound. MF Doom and Killer Mike have got similar rapping styles. As for Dre, great MC, but I just can't get past the feeling that the ugliness in his songs is a reflection of the man himself.

I do prefer Biggie's vocals to Tuapc's to be honest. I like that smoother, slightly breathless sound. MF Doom and Killer Mike have got similar rapping styles. As for Dre, great MC, but I just can't get past the feeling that the ugliness in his songs is a reflection of the man himself.

Dre has the flow but but thats only becuase other, less succesful mc's have written everything for him. I haven't ever given MF Doom a real go, have some of his albums but never really given them a thorough listening, I just always end up returning to 36 Chambers in all honesty - nothing that I listen to ever beats that for me from a hip hop perspective.