2015 - any help or advice needed ?

ramragon

HI it's our first year at kendal after being at Leeds fest for a few years, but after the shockingly bad line up announcements we decided that kendal is the place to be, my question is regarding keeping the beers cold I've noticed that kendal don't like people nipping in and out with cars, so going to the supermarket every morning for ice maybe a problem, can you buy ice from the supermarket on site, it may sound a trivial question, but if the weather is kind to us it could be an important question

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to get a decent cool box and fill some 4 pint milk bottles with water and freeze them. Even after 4 or 5 days there's usually still a bit of ice in the bottles. Keeps your bacon and beer cool. Just don't leave the cool box open and when you use a can or 2 replace them. 2 or 3 milk bottles will keep ur beer cold for days

Hi first time at KC. What's the camping situation like. Don't want 24 hour party land, but not needing the family field. Probably lean more to the quieter part. Any hints/tips on location.

And also what's the space like - is it rammed with tents right up to each other and no space at all or more relaxed with space to lie down outside tents in some comfort?

And is there a 'Rush hour' when arriving and if so how to avoid.

Much thanks in anticipation

Hi first time at KC. What's the camping situation like. Don't want 24 hour party land, but not needing the family field. Probably lean more to the quieter part. Any hints/tips on location.

And also what's the space like - is it rammed with tents right up to each other and no space at all or more relaxed with space to lie down outside tents in some comfort?

Hi chuckles, you seem to be similar to myself in respect to partying. If the layout is similar to the last few years you will find that as you come into the main entrance down the hill the further left you go the quieter itll get (the arena entrance is about 400m right of the main entrance). At the end of the general camping there is a row of toilets and a road before you get into the family camping and campervan field. I tend to camp somewhere near these toilets and have never had a problem either partying or getting sleep.

As far as rush hour I cant tell you about Thursday but I would advise the earlier the better if you are turning up on the Friday. It seems that between 10-12 on the Friday morning is peak time although there wasnt much of a queue at any time last year. Turn up much later than dinnertime on the Friday and you may find general camping busy although its nowhere near as bad space-wise as other bigger festivals so youll always find somewhere to camp.

On top of what sloaney said, there will be quite a few camping areas that will suit, just avoid next to the arena entrance which can get rowdy.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the layout this year in both the camping and arena areas, last year there were around 20, 000 on site and over the next 3 years theyre talking of increasing to 35, 000 gradually. With that in mind theyve obviously drawn out plans of how the arena and camping areas will look with that sort of crowd. I cant see how last years layout would cope with an eventual 15, 000 extra people so it will change. Wether or not they introduce the new layouts this year and test the waters with a crowd of around 25, 000 to see if its managable to fit an extra 10, 000 in remains to be seen.

There is always a site map released around june time, so we'll get our answers then no doubt.

As for busy times to arrive, theyve tried to handle this year as sensible as possible and at last I heard theyd limited thursday tickets to 12, 000 meaning that youll get around 50% arriving thursday and the rest on friday. With there being a main stage line up thursday id guess most people will wanna be in and set up to enjoy what theyd paid for so id expect a steady flow from opening throughout the day.

Sloaney & Ramragon

many thanks for the helpful advice - all sounds very sensible, seems like I will be veering to the left on entrance. It'll be a bit of a pisser if they move the site around and I end up with the teenagers (more for them probably xD ) but life is a learning experience!

Out of interest the increase to 35k is pretty ambitious if as I understand the current number of paying public to be 18,000 (according to efest). Its great that the owners have the drive to go for it. How do you think they will achieve it - will it be17,000 more of the same kind of people that currently go or appeal to a different, additional, audience? Would it be a shame if they go after the V, Leeds/Reading, TitP etc crowd? Not that they aren't lovely lovely people but it seems like KC has a different thing going for it ie go more for the vibe and the line up is a bonus?

I hope I haven't offended anyone here......if so apologies!

Cheers

Nah you won't offend anyone on here so don't worry. The usual attendance is around 20k, they're increasing it to 25k this year and if it works out they'll be trying 30k next year by the seems of it. There's plenty of space in the deer park, they just need to move it about a bit.

It sells out every year so I suppose from the organisers point of view if the demands there why not see if they can increase it a bit. It's sold out in record time this year and I'm yet to meet anyone who has a problem with the line up so happy days

• 2 months later...

We do campervan field, it's usually well organised with a plot for your caravan and car with fire gaps either side of you.

Visitors were fine, other people camping with you is the tricky one. It's obviously not been a problem in the past but last year there were loads of people with big tents in there who weren't even with campervan party's.

There's so many people wanting campervan tickets this year I can see it kicking off at some point

Only down side is its a bit of a hike into the arena from campervan field

We do campervan field, it's usually well organised with a plot for your caravan and car with fire gaps either side of you.

Visitors were fine, other people camping with you is the tricky one. It's obviously not been a problem in the past but last year there were loads of people with big tents in there who weren't even with campervan party's.

There's so many people wanting campervan tickets this year I can see it kicking off at some point

Only down side is its a bit of a hike into the arena from campervan field

thanks!

i was thinking of putting a tiny pop up tent up in my mates camp too with supplies in so hopefully wont need to go back to the van much!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah yeah, done my fair share of emperors camps as well !

They're splitting the crowd this year with selling limited thursday tickets so if you're coming Thursday you should be fine, gates open between 9am and 11am both days. They normally have an emperors overflow so even if you arrive and it's packed there's an option. If you're coming Friday I'd get there sooner rather than later as most people like to be on sit by the time the music starts.

Anything more feel free to ask

Yeah yeah, done my fair share of emperors camps as well !

They're splitting the crowd this year with selling limited thursday tickets so if you're coming Thursday you should be fine, gates open between 9am and 11am both days. They normally have an emperors overflow so even if you arrive and it's packed there's an option. If you're coming Friday I'd get there sooner rather than later as most people like to be on sit by the time the music starts.

Anything more feel free to ask

We bow down to the mighty oracle ;)

When are you calling the winner of the comp ramra?