Staying offsite. Frowned upon by KC?

Bristle

I stayed in Askham in 2013, which is about 5 mins drive, 20/25 mins walk from the site. Didn't have any problems getting in or out the entire weekend.

Don't know why there's a gripe about doing it, you pay the same amount whether you're going to camp or not (and if you're staying off site, you're not going to be bringing loads of booze in as more than lifely you'll be driving).

We'll be riding to and from with bicycles from nearby Clifton each day. Have you seen places to lock up bikes in previous years? This is my 1st year attending the festival. Travelling from Melbourne.

Edited by Bristle

To be honest who cares what K.C think about leaving site - especially after paying all that money for a ticket! I'm staying in Penrith - nothing against the festival facilities but this festival is not exactly well known for having dry weather....

• 3 months later...

They are not letting people back on site once you leave this year...it's even frowned upon to go back to your car.

Other years they have let people come and go...there'll be a few upset festival goers this year!

Really ? I'll be amazed if they try and reinforce that, a lot of people legitimately stay in hotels and b&bs around the surrounding area.

As for going back to the car, on the initial set up most people do a few trips back and forward rather than be weighed down with everything in one go. Again I can't see how that can be reinforced.

I'll see if I can find anything out about it

If I recall right the car thing from was a couple of years back and wad more down to overzealous jobsworth security guards than actual policy. Once a message was fed through to the main entrance it was all good. The leaving/ returning to site thing is something they'll need to nip in the bud though with the additional numbers over the next few years, they do state on web they can offer passouts, wouldn't surprise me if they tried to tighten this, would help to prevent the thieves leaving on 1st night loaded with phones etc

I fully understand folk organising these pass outs but they say this every year and it's never a problem.

I'm staying off site Sunday night so will be going out in the morning and back in at lunchtime. Oh how we will laugh when they knock us back at the gate now after me saying that :-)

Hmm like a prison camp then. How strange

Exactly...and to what end? I can see they need a pass out system to prevent wristbands going over the fence etc but why be unnecessarily restrictive about it? All it's going to do is annoy people who have paid good money to be there and should have the freedom to go off (or for that matter stay off) site if they want to.

I agree, it does sound very restrictive. Festivals are meant to be places where you feel really free, not like a prisoner! Are they really allowed to stop you going on and off site when you've paid for a weekend ticket?

Also, we need to leave on Sunday evening. Presumably there won't be a problem with that?

Also, we need to leave on Sunday evening. Presumably there won't be a problem with that?

You are obligated to stay on site unless permission is given for you to leave!!

NB - Im kidding, stopping you leaving would probbaly be classed as kidnap or unlawfully detaining or something!!