Queueing at Glastonbury

bennyhana22

Obviously, GF is big. And there are a lot of punters.

But, as a first timer, I'm slightly disconcerted by the not infrequent reference to queueing to get into smaller venues, presumably particularly in the SE Corner after main stage close.

How often do you encounter this? One of my favourite things about festivals is the freedom to wander in and out of places, without the awful constraints of typical Saturday night club capacity/dress code/does your face fit bollocks.

I can understand that, if a secret set starts, word gets around and a place gets rammed...no-one would want a dangerous riot as too many people try to pile in. But, in general, am I going to be pissed off by the number of times I see a queue and think, fuck it, and move on?

Ben

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The queues are every night between the end of headliners and about 2/3am or later, depending on the venue, and for pretty much every venue. Their length can vary, depending on who is playing, the weather, if the queue is being managed properly etc etc. Whether the queue is worth it depends on you and what's inside - I queued for over half an hour to get in somewhere last year (the Ministry of Health) not even sure the queue was going anywhere, but it was well worth it. Also, sometimes the queue can look worse than it is and there will often be a big movement in the queue when acts change and people come out.

There's loads to do without going inside, for example the Hell and Genosys stages are out in the open, and you can have a good natter with strangers in the queue if you do decide to join.

The worst queue on the whole site is the one for the silent disco in the Park and not just because of the length.

Many thanks for your instructive and insightful response, Mr Wali...!

Ben

Thing is, that's exactly the point. Don't feel you have to queue. Walk on, 50m away there'll be something else

Yup. Not queued for any entertainment in the 4 I've been to.

It does seem though that the stuff people queue for is the DJs and such in the late night areas, the sort of thing I'd queue to get out of.

There's always something else around the corner.

Worst I've encountered (apart from at the end of the headliners) was actually getting into the festival on Wednesday morning. That really was bad. Other than that I've been able to get around to everything I've wanted pretty easily!

Worst I've encountered (apart from at the end of the headliners) was actually getting into the festival on Wednesday morning. That really was bad. Other than that I've been able to get around to everything I've wanted pretty easily!

and that's the silliest queue of all.

or not, as it gets people out of the way before i arrive.

Yeah don't queue, if you want to do the late night bit go before a headliner finishes of at 2am when the queues have gone. Plenty of other late night venues without queues, small bars and discos all over the site not just the South East corner.....

Worst by some way is the chaos after the main stage close. If yr not that fussed about the headliner - getting in 11-11.30 is worth a punt if you want to walk straight in. And dont try to get there down the railway line after midnight. You wont get close before they re-direct you round thru West Holts and its bedlam up on that bit of the road and will slow you down.

And the monorail doesnt stop there at that time obviously.

He's right, though.

He's right, though.

I know, CG, I know...

I guess I was just trying to get a feel for the frequency with which one might encounter queues, that's all! (having never encountered that at a festival before).

I'd have no intention of queueing unless there was something I really had to see. Just wondered how prevalent it was, is all...

Ben

?

It's just grim. It takes forever to go down, there's no other entertainment around really to keep you occupied, you can hear everyone having a good time inside and the queue seems to be full of tits with people regularly jumping in as it just meanders up the hill.

And yet, I find myself in it every Wednesday night (if I haven't passed out). I think that's the thing I hate the most about it.

It's just grim. It takes forever to go down, there's no other entertainment around really to keep you occupied, you can hear everyone having a good time inside and the queue seems to be full of tits with people regularly jumping in as it just meanders up the hill.

And yet, I find myself in it every Wednesday night (if I haven't passed out). I think that's the thing I hate the most about it.

one night in there last year was almost the most fun i've ever had, it was hilarious. mind you, i was high as a kite and completely drunk. i guess that's why it was so good, ha

don't remember it being that hard to get in...?

Edited by majormajormajor

one night in there last year was almost the most fun i've ever had, it was hilarious. mind you, i was high as a kite and completely drunk. i guess that's why it was so good, ha

don't remember it being that hard to get in...?

Yeah, it's pretty good once you're in and that's probably partly the reason why the queue is so bad.

I should clarify that my opinion is biased as once the week kicks off proper I'll be in the SE corner for most of the night so I don't see it then usually.

Queue for the loo if you must....Dont piss on the ground

Don't queue for a shower/phone recharge/venue/bar/food/se corner/silent disco/noisy disco/tshirt/

There will always be something better to do than queue.

Don't be a sheep.