Is Kendal Calling the right festival to choose?

BrighterNow

Hi, I'd really appreciate any advice from those of you who have been to Kendal before.

I'm trying to choose which festival to go to this year. I think Kendal has a great line-up so I'm leaning towards that, but just wanted to ask a couple of questions. We're in our 40s - are there lots of people our age at Kendal or is it mostly a younger crowd? Also, I'm mostly into indie stuff, but I've got the impression Kendal is more dance-orientated - is that right? I'm just wondering if I'd find enough stuff that I like. Is there any comedy/poetry or anything like that? And lastly, my partner and I would be coming on our own (none of my friends seem to be into festivals any more) - is the festival quite friendly?

Thanks a lot, really appreciate any replies.

Its perfect for you i reckon from what you've said. A nice mix of older and younger types. You'll find plenty of indie though you likely won't be able to fill a day with acts you know, but if you dont there's plenty of new acts to discover and its a nice place to just relax if there are no bands on.

There are a few dance tents but if you aren't interested you could go the entire weekend avoiding that sort of music. There's a bit of poetry for sure, some performing arts stuff, couple of lecture type things. Not sure about comedy.

And its as friendly as any other festival nowadays, probably not as friendly as festivals were but you won't be totally isolated all weekend

Edited by efcfanwirral

Hello, I think most of the people on here fall into a similar category as you. I'm 45 and have been the last 5 years. They do a good mix of music that's well spaced out. If you like indie there's the calling out tent or acts on the main stage that will suit you.

The layout has an area for dance but it doesn't cater for any particular crowd. It's a decent sized arena that's not a hike from the camping areas. It caters just as much for families as well the teens and we're taking our 2 year old as well as d's the 14 year old with us again this year.

If you want any more details please just ask

Thanks so much for the quick and really helpful replies! From what you've both said, it sounds just what we're looking for. I was just a bit worried about being surrounded by 18-year-olds and feeling really out of place. I'm totally happy with not being able to fill a day with acts I know - one of the best things about festivals is stumbling upon new bands you've never heard of before.

One more question - we'd probably be in the Deer Park area as we don't have our own tent - has anyone stayed there before? Is it very noisy at night? (Sorry, that makes me sound very old and boring!)

The general camping area around the arena tends to be the noisiest and outside of that area it's not really noisy at all. Never personally stopped in the deer lodge but most nights emperors, campervan and family camping are starting to quieten off by midnight

As for stages, forgot about the woodland area, that's a nice place to go and chill, it's a small stage with a bar next to it. They've got a good mix of music styles playing

The general camping area around the arena tends to be the noisiest and outside of that area it's not really noisy at all. Never personally stopped in the deer lodge but most nights emperors, campervan and family camping are starting to quieten off by midnight

As for stages, forgot about the woodland area, that's a nice place to go and chill, it's a small stage with a bar next to it. They've got a good mix of music styles playing

Good mix of music styles? Looking forward to the Hotpots Ramra ;)

Also, I'm mostly into indie stuff, but I've got the impression Kendal is more dance-orientated - is that right?

Thanks a lot, really appreciate any replies.

Going to my first Kendal also :) Picking up on this part of the comment, yes it has it's dance tent but every festival has to have at least 1 dance orientated stage these days to attract people my age (18 unfortunately) and in balance Kendal seems to be comparatively not that heavy on dance music, with more indie in top slots than many similarly sized festivals (Hence in part why I've chosen it).

Hope you enjoy it!

Edit: In my view dance music is destroying festivals like the plague so I commend any festival that aims to balance it out like Kendal has done

I'm starting to get excited about it now! Are tickets likely to sell out? Are they likely to add any more acts? DGrant, looks like we'll both be going to our first Kendal this year even though I'm nearly 30 years older than you! I like dancing, but not keen on most dance music, and some festivals are just too dance-orientated for me. Really excited to see Billy Bragg - I've seen him at festivals before (a long time ago) and he was awesome.

The tickets sell out every year and I would guess they'll be gone quicker this year than any other due to the line up. If you're gonna get them I'd do it sooner rather than later.

They've also only done 2 announcements so there's bound to be a lot more to come including 2 more calling out headliners which is probably the stage that will appeal to you most. Last year's calling out headline acts were augustines, Frightened rabbit and Jimi Goodwin (lead singer with the doves who does solo stuff as well). Can't imagine there will be many more big name main stage acts to come

Plenty of forty something's including me and my wife. This will be our 6th year along with our kids who will be 19 and 16 this year.

I've met people there 20 years older than me and seen parents with babies, the youngest of whom was 4 months old (the baby, not the parents).

Taking our little one this time round (well not so little at eight, guess this means i'm finally going to have to be semi responsible and avoid drunken paint fights with the teenagers and not get off my face at the silent disco. That or I now have the perfect mule for carrying in alcohol from the tents into the main arena... mu ha ha ha ha ha.... As for the original post Kendal is an awesome festival, I have only ever missed 1 since it started and it's never failed to impress. Always a good mix of age groups and people are always friendly, you'll have a great time.

If you see a small child loaded up like an alcoholics pack horse feel free to say hi...

Edited by Scargilla

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm really reassured by all your replies! We are also a couple in our 40s (leaving our grown up kids behind) and were worried it would be full of kids and that we would feel past it! Never been to Kendal calling before and staying in deer lodge. Looking forward to it now!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...