sisters doing it for themselves

5co77ie

Charli XCX - ace news. Best pop star on the planet (apart from Taylor Swift, natch) at the moment, even if True Romance is much better than Sucker.

High hopes for the Ella Eyre album too, she's had a good run of singles and has lovely hair.

Looking like a much more rounded bill than last year's.

Charli XCX and Neneh Cherry! Latitude, why were they not on your bill?

Cause Melvin hates women? :P

Nice one, not sure if its just Bestival jumping on the band wagon and announcing them seperately or if its a good thing to highlight them? Its a bit odd, "HERE LOOK WE DO HAVE SOME WOMEN!"

Anyway!

Charli XCX and Lianne La Havas = Excellent additions.

Don't really know the others apart from B.Traits.

Edited by LondonTom

Very timley announcement from Bestival there haha :) Surprised Flo wasn't put in with that lot if she is headlining and it does raise doubts.

Can't fault that announcement some great bookings that fit Bestival perfectly, it is one of the few UK festivals that has a long future ahead of it in my view,

Nice one, not sure if its just Bestival jumping on the band wagon and announcing them seperately or if its a good thing to highlight them? Its a bit odd, "HERE LOOK WE DO HAVE SOME WOMEN!"

Why would a festival actively trying to ensure a gender equality on their festival lineups be a bad thing? If it's a "bandwagon" then it's a bloody good one; be quiet.

Why would a festival actively trying to ensure a gender equality on their festival lineups be a bad thing? If it's a "bandwagon" then it's a bloody good one; be quiet.

How do you know they're striving for equality without the rest of the lineup? Could be mostly male and those were the only female based acts on the lineup, cherry picked for a topical announcement.

How do you know they're striving for equality without the rest of the lineup? Could be mostly male and those were the only female based acts on the lineup, cherry picked for a topical announcement.

Adding to the current female lineup of: Little Dragon, Roisin Murphy, Kate Tempest, Rae Morris, Annie Mac, Hannah Wants, plus probably more from the rest I don't know. It's definitely PR but it's not a bad thing, is it?

I didn't say it was a bad thing that they had female acts booked, or that they may have gone out their way to find them. (Though Bestival being what it is, has alot more choice in bigger names that fit its line up without doing much than say Reading.)

But if you want eqaulity, why have they been announced seperately other than a

"We're much less seixst than Reading!" PR campaign when infact in all likelyhood they have just rounded up every other female act that has been booked so far?

I just found it a tad odd to announce seperately, instead of looking at the lineup as a whole.

The way it was announced was a PR stunt obviously, but I think it was just RDB's way of pointing out that Bestival values diversity within it's line up more so than most of the other major festivals.

I'm not sure how far this equality within festival lines ups/music debate goes though... As a gay man, I could claim that the gay artists/bands are majorly under represented in festival line ups, likewise for Asian artists, disabled artists etc etc.

The way it was announced was a PR stunt obviously, but I think it was just RDB's way of pointing out that Bestival values diversity within it's line up more so than most of the other major festivals.

Hmmm, I'm not sure that Bestival necessarily "values diversity within it's line up more so than most of the other major festivals". It could easily be just a natural consequence of the sorts of acts it books.

As you recognise, it was a PR stunt.

And anyone coming from a feminist perspective wouldn't have called those females "ladies". ;)

Hmmm, I'm not sure that Bestival necessarily "values diversity within it's line up more so than most of the other major festivals". It could easily be just a natural consequence of the sorts of acts it books.

As you recognise, it was a PR stunt.

And anyone coming from a feminist perspective wouldn't have called those females "ladies". ;)

Good point. Natural consequence with a retrospective look at us we're more diverse PR stunt to emphasise the point.

The 'ladies' tag line was cringeworthy to say the least, the sort of thing you'd expect to hear at a middle aged hen party.

I'm not sure how far this equality within festival lines ups/music debate goes though... As a gay man, I could claim that the gay artists/bands are majorly under represented in festival line ups, likewise for Asian artists, disabled artists etc etc.

This

so we shouldn't improve one thing because we're not improving everything else at the same moment? :blink: :wacko:Men always tend to delve deep when looking for excuses for why they should stay in control. ;)

Don't twist the point, not for a second did I suggest we shouldn't improve the amount of female acts on festival lineups. I was merely pointing out that if you want overall equality then artists of a different sexuality, disability, race/ethnicity etc (regardless of gender) are even more underrepresented on festival line ups than female acts.

Don't twist the point, not for a second did I suggest we shouldn't improve the amount of female acts on festival lineups. I was merely pointing out that if you want overall equality then artists of a different sexuality, disability, race/ethnicity etc (regardless of gender) are even more underrepresented on festival line ups than female acts.

Personally, I'd doubt that was the case with gay sexuality as traditionally homosexuals have been over-represented within 'the arts'. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

And it's certainly not the case that black artists are under-represented in music, just as they're not under under-represented in sport. Whether or not they're under represented on festival line-ups could be argued over, tho that has more to do with musical tastes within different races/cultures than it does what a festival might book.

Who mentioned 'black' artists? There are other ethnic backgrounds you know :rolleyes:

Yes, homosexuals may be 'over represented' in the arts, but that's not the case when it comes to festival line ups. Have a look through any major festival line up & it will be obvious...

Equality is a nice notion, but in reality people like to pick & choose what sort of 'equality' suits the point they're trying to make.