Cornbury Music Festival 2015

5co77ie

Not in my view no. The most twee middle class safe festival I've been to. Populated by the Chipping Norton set, Cameron, Clarkson, Atkinson, Brooks etc. Has massive VIP area. Also massive cake stall! Like a very large village fete with good music. Pretty site.

Been to every one since 2005. Getting better and better each year. You can avoid the Chipping Norton set and the local day trippers (although these are becoming less) so don't let this put you off.

Vastly expanded new site with great camping facilities. huge general campsite (part flat/part sloping) with amazing views across the beautiful park with its managed trees and vast tracts of open pasture. A separate family/quiet camping area down the hill and a disabled camping area really close to the arena. There are a couple of camper van fields.

Short walk from car park to camping (10 mins max if you're parked far away) and to arena but they have trolleys for hire.

Toilets aplenty and kept really clean and supplied with hand wash and paper. Showers in mobile vans in campsites if you want them, water standpipes available.

Plenty of tent space so don't think the squish of IOW or even Glastonbury, easy to set up your own little encampment with loads of communal space

Campsite opens Thursday afternoon and entertainment that evening is restricted to campsite - so campsite stage and bar, plus an open mic session held round a purpose built campfire area, campsite food outlets and a few stalls open plus a good general shop for anything forgotten and milk, bread and general supplies etc. Always a great atmosphere on Thursday night with people setting up and settling in.

Not the kind of festival where you'll find hordes of drunken teenagers falling on your tent in the small hours but more likely to find groups of adults sitting round by their tents, drinking, singing and just having a good time.

There have been thefts from tents but just need common sense to avoid this and security is good and friendly with constant foot patrols, No fires apart from the designated and organised fire circle but bbq's off the ground are fine.

Arena open Friday 11ish onwards and there are two quick routes from the campsites so you can be there in minutes. No own alcohol in the arena and there are bag searches at all entrances.

Many stalls - usual festival stuff but because it's Oxfordshire there are some more unusual (and sometimes expensive stalls). Good merchandise staff and local record shop brought in to supply CD's etc for all bands playing.

Festival gives lots of local enterprises/charities a presence - e.g Brownies have a Tombola stall, huge tea tent with homemade cakes run by local school, as is the hog-roast.

The festival tries really hard to be independent so the local brewery does the beer tent etc.

Three main stages plus two more little ones and comedy tent and campsite stage and bar. All well spaced so very little if any sound bleed between them.

Main stage (Pleasant Valley) in large sloping area with stage at the bottom of a hill. Surrounded by food outlets and main bar (Tew Drop Inn) To the left of the stage is the only restricted area for people with VIP tickets - they have a posh tent behind a picket fence. he rest ofus sit on ground or chairs behind the line of the sound desk

Songbird stage in a wooded clearing with own bar - lovely relaxed area.

Riverside Stage (acts brought in by local Riverside Festival) - a great place to sit on straw bales and while away a few hours.

Cafe Nero and QI stages set back in wooded glades. Massage tent, comedy stage and last year they'd cleared a natural amphitheatre in the woods which they're planning to use for something this year.

Yes it's a bit posh and food is a little pricey but it's so easy to nip back to the campsite to eat that we find we only need to treat ourselves from the stalls once a day. That said the food is very good.

Great festival for kids if you have them - huge children's area with creative play, storytelling and and allsorts

Waking entertainers and Morris dancing

Great festival - ignore the posh bits or just sit a wonder at it and you'll have a fabulous time

I always get an early-bird ticket which stretches my budget - don't think I could afford to go at full price but I would try to do it if I had to

Edited by Sunny1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...