Could there ever be an extreme metal stage at Glastonbury?

HGavin

I saw Mayhem live at a festival in New Zealand two days ago. Also Lamb of God, Judas Priest, Soundgarden. They were all pretty awesome, but Mayhem particularly blew me away. Extreme metal is awesome, it's an acquired taste with a certain fan base but there's surely enough people at Glastonbury into diverse music. Could there ever be room for a heavier stage?

I think there could be a hard rock or punk dominated stage, but extreme metal seems a huge leap from anything we have now. I would wager that even the people that really want metal at Glastonbury are on about Iron Maiden rather than Carcass.

Edited by dentalplan

I hope not. Segregating genres to different stages will just divide the festival. Better to have a range throughout the site, if they don't clash of course! West Holts is already too close to the black music stage.

Yeah you couldn't get away from all the 'black music' on that stage last year what with Bryan Ferry, Disclosure, Goldfrapp, Bonobo, Tune-Yards, Public Service Broadcasting etc.

I hope not. Segregating genres to different stages will just divide the festival. Better to have a range throughout the site, if they don't clash of course! West Holts is already too close to the black metal stage.

Quite. Next thing you know, they'll be creating whole villages dedicated to a specific genre.

But.... no. I'd love to see more metal/rock/punk stuff at Glastonbury but prefer it to be mixed in on the other stages. I'd rather wander about than stay at one stage all day :)

Is there such a thing as black music?

Edited by Gnomicide

Caught a band that were playing before the person I went to see. They said in their opinion Metallica were the 10th heaviest heavy metal band at the festival. So if you look around rather than stick at one stage, my guess is you'll be catered for.

Edited by whisty

West Holts gravitates towards black and urban music. Is there any doubt about that? That's not to say other stuff isn't to be found there or that stuff isn't to be found elsewhere but it seems to have found a natural home there.

Only to a small extent. Better to say that it focuses more on rhythmic and roots music, but that's more likely to be made by non-whites. I'm usually hoping for all manner of Middle Eastern and Latin American "flavas", but happy for, I dunno, dudes like Taraf de Haïdouks to also join the party.

West Holts has changed a bit over the last few years. Was all dreadful tuneless arseflute playing for a while. Seems to have broadened it's remit since about 2010 and is all the better for it.

West Holts has changed a bit over the last few years. Was all dreadful tuneless arseflute playing for a while. Seems to have broadened it's remit since about 2010 and is all the better for it.

You mean since 09 when Rolf Harris played? Arseflute indeed.

Its much better since they've stopped booking rapists if thats what you mean.

what do you mean? Modern dance got a prime Pyramid slot at the last Glastonbury.

Yes, it really did.

I'm gutted I missed it. I've seen it since and it looked excellent. Some beautiful stuff in there. Very pleased it got a good reaction from the crowd.