Yurts at Worthy View

Jamieyorkshire

Hi

Am hoping someone who has stayed at WV before may be able to help us.

We have booked a 2 person Yurt at WV and wonder if we will be able to easily fit a 2 person air bed in this and will this give us any room at the sides for some of our spare kit? Or is there a pole in the middle meaning we will need 2 singles? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

We stayed in a 2 person Yurt last time and were pleasantly surprised at the room we had, plenty of space for a double air bed and all our gear, the height is great too. The pictures on the Worthy View site don't do the yurts justice, we were very glad we booked it.

• 7 months later...

Stayed in a 4 person yurt last year, no pole in the middle so can't imagine there being on in a 2 person, walking past and looking in there did seem to be room for extras.

would you say ok for 4 'single' people ie 4 single airbeds? Do you have any pics of the inside? I've had a bell tent before which is very roomy. The head height on a yurt looks decent.  Thanks very much. 

would you say ok for 4 'single' people ie 4 single airbeds? Do you have any pics of the inside? I've had a bell tent before which is very roomy. The head height on a yurt looks decent.  Thanks very much. 

We didn't have a Yurt but did have the 4 man Tipi tent last year. It was massive. Certainly enough room for 4 single air beds and all of our gear and booze. We could have easily got another 1 or 2 people in there. The yurts looked to have a similar footprint.

We stayed in a bell tent a few years ago,I got chatting to the guys pulling them down on the Monday,I had a look inside the yurts and we all agreed that the bell tents were the best,the yurts looked dark inside so you would need a lamp during the day whereas the bells had a nice ambient light and were bigger,you also get air flaps you can unzip to get a nice breeze over you,very handy when you're hanging.

We stayed in a bell tent a few years ago,I got chatting to the guys pulling them down on the Monday,I had a look inside the yurts and we all agreed that the bell tents were the best,the yurts looked dark inside so you would need a lamp during the day whereas the bells had a nice ambient light and were bigger,you also get air flaps you can unzip to get a nice breeze over you,very handy when you're hanging.

thanks for the feedback, have been lucky enough to grab a bell tent now and cancel the yurt as feared too cosy. Have had bell tent last two years - loads of room.

There definitely isn't room for 4 standard size single airbeds in a 4 man scout tent. They'd end up like 1 giant bed! We were sardines in a 4 man with 4 people, even with 2 people on self-inflating roll mats.

Was very happy with the 8 man scout last year, but have booked a bell tent for this year. Happy to see all the positive comments!

From what I have read it sounds as if the bell tents are towards the back of the field - how much longer would you say it would take to walk to the entrance of the festival vs staying in a scout tent? Appreciate this will all be best guess.

for the last two years they have been close to the entrance so less far to walk from the car park. Quieter too as far less people walking past. This is further from pennard gate (10 mins?) but some of the scout tents are also ten mins walk - it's pot luck with them.  Once I've left WV I'm gone for the day, it's downhill when you're carrying drinks for the day ahead and there's a lock up in pennards to store things if necessary. You walk  so much anyway it doesn't bother me too much (even the hill!) proximity to strummerville now, the park, SE corner, green fields etc is good even on the walk to bed! 

for the last two years they have been close to the entrance so less far to walk from the car park. Quieter too as far less people walking past. This is further from pennard gate (10 mins?) but some of the scout tents are also ten mins walk - it's pot luck with them.  Once I've left WV I'm gone for the day, it's downhill when you're carrying drinks for the day ahead and there's a lock up in pennards to store things if necessary. You walk  so much anyway it doesn't bother me too much (even the hill!) proximity to strummerville now, the park, SE corner, green fields etc is good even on the walk to bed! 

Sold! Thanks for all the advice

3 hours ago, OBface said:

This is the sort of question that goes down like a lead balloon here but does anyone know how much they were charging to use the hairdryers etc in the pamper parlour last year and how busy they were? Honestly asking on behalf of someone else :)

Well... In 2014 they were free. This year however I think it was £5 for drying hair, £5 for straightening (or maybe it was £7 each, £10 for both). No consideration for how long you took! Cheaper than the salon on site. Some people may scoff but if you have long/thick hair it's really no fun to not be able to dry it properly. I paid once only to dry it because I spent a while queuing before I realised! It felt great, so there! After that I didn't notice much of a queue as probably half the people not prepared to pay. Some people paid that/queued as long for breakfast every morning so it depends on your priorities. I'm happy to make my own bacon butties!

Not wanting to really start a row, as I confess I stay in the comfort of my caravan, but I do wonder whether all the efforts to avoid a bit of mud, iffy toilets, have regular showers and get your hair done have reached the point where some people would be better off having a holiday in a hotel in the sun rather than spending a week in what will probably be a somewhat muddy field in Somerset.

I love camping but hate carrying all the stuff. I love festivals but I'm in my forties now and appreciate some kip. I don't avoid mud but only a fool wouldn't avoid iffy toilets surely if there was a choice?  I embrace my she-wee :) and seek out the compost toilets where possible but bear the long drops if necessary. I could easily go without drying my hair and did so on 4 out of 5 days.  Showers? Yes I had 3. The water supply to worthy view is, quite rightly limited.  I'm a woman, I menstruate! I don't see it as an endurance test. Each to their own. Enjoy your caravan! 

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason we now camp in WV - we're in our 40s/50s - is the 5 minute walk from the car to a pre-erected, cool, canvas tent. Lugging all your gear for 5 days camping (it used to be 3 in the old days), even when you're fairly fit, is an endurance challenge. I've done it in blazing sun and apocalyptic mud. Tough mudder's got nothing on it!