Acts who have worked their way up through the latitude line up...

Gazsimmo1980

So Melvin is on record as saying one of the headliners is an act which has worked its way up over the years. I know Alt J are most peoples guess but surely they are far too new and their rise was fast where the quote from Melvin suggested to me a band slogging their way up to earn their place. The acts springing to my mind are White Lies and The Horrors but, as much as I like both, neither of these seem headliner material at a festival the size of Latitude. So I wondered if we have any other suggestions...

Edited by Gazsimmo1980

Alt-J seem by far the most obvious choice for this.

Won't be The Horrors or White Lies, neither are big enough. A few years ago White Lies would probably have been a decent shout, but the last album saw them lose a fair bit of popularity.

That was essentially my point in a nutshell. My only problem with Alt J is I only recall them playing the festival once in the past - though I could well be wrong as I haven't actually checked, just relying on my scattered old memory. Think if The Horrors or White Lies latest albums made any kind of splash they would have been in with a chance but neither have progressed beyond 6 Music stage headliner calibre since they last played. Mainly suggested as examples of acts who have made their way up through the line up over the years really.

Maybe there's someone we have overlooked though?

That was essentially my point in a nutshell. My only problem with Alt J is I only recall them playing the festival once in the past - though I could well be wrong as I haven't actually checked, just relying on my scattered old memory. Think if The Horrors or White Lies latest albums made any kind of splash they would have been in with a chance but neither have progressed beyond 6 Music stage headliner calibre since they last played. Mainly suggested as examples of acts who have made their way up through the line up over the years really.

Maybe there's someone we have overlooked though?

Alt-J played 2012 and 2013 apparently.

The only other acts I can think of are The Maccabees and The Vaccines but even then I doubt it will be either. The Maccabees haven't really progressed much since they last played and Alt-J just seem a better fit than The Vaccines.

Real shame as Horrors/White Lies would both give excellent headline sets I feel, but I see exactly where you're both coming from. Alt-j would be the obvious choice, but the 'over the years' aspect of it does leave you thinking that that it maay be someone whos been around for longer. Metronomy/Maccabees/Vaccines are all possibilities I think

Edited by DGrant261

Ben howard, The Maccabees, Laura Marling, Bombay Bicycle Club (unlikely considering last year and album cycle), The Vaccines, disclosure, hot chip, the xx (have they headlined yet?)

Most of these acts could probably headline and have worked their way up the festival to varying extents

However, I'd be surprised if it wasn't alt-J, and very happily surprised if it was someone like hot chip or laura marling...

Edited by klipper

Real shame as Horrors/White Lies would both give excellent headline sets I feel, but I see exactly where you're obht coming from. Alt-j would be the obvious choice, but the 'over the years' aspect of it does leave you thinking that that it maay be someone whos been around for longer. Metronomy/Maccabees/Vaccines are all possibilities I think

Metronomy would be great fun. Not sure if they're big enough but I'd love them to be given the chance.

Well when i first heard it my money was on The XX or Alt J it would mark a progression of Lake Stage to Second Stage to Main headliners.

Alot of the acts mentioned so far have only played once before you'd think it would be someone whose played at least twice (though he could mean anything by that) with Alt J not being announced anywhere else i think they are strong favourites.

Here are a few more possibilities

Paloma Faith played second stage 2009 and subbed The National in 2011. Shes really popular now..for some reason

Wild Beasts have played 4 times before have headlined things like EOTR might be a bridge to far mind

James Blake has played twice, has a new album.

Grizzly Bear have also played twice and made their way up the line up, however i don't think they are doing much at the moment and maybe do not have the commercial appeal to be headlining, be a bold move though one of the best bands in the world in my humble one.

and as much as i hate to say it Sam F'in Smith played the lake stage in 2013, Latitude are not afraid of pop acts and he probably has more commercial appeal than all the other acts mentioned.

Wild Beasts are the first band that come to mind. Latitude residents along with British Sea Power - can see them subbing

British sea power were a band I also thought of, along with I am Kloot, as Latitude regulars. I met the singer out of I am Kloot during Foals headline set a couple years back. Nice guy, stole some of my cigarettes and slagged off beady eye for a bit.