G-G-G-Gigs 2015

RedRockRick

Luna @ Sticky Mike's Frog Bar, Brighton

Luna @ the Garage, London

Luna disbanded on a high 10 years ago on the back of a top album, Rendezvous, and a splendid farewell UK show at ULU. I didn't expect to see them again, so this short re-union tour became essential, particularly since some posters switched their description from "re-union" to "farewell". Tell me, do you miss me? Ah, Luna, Luna, I'm missing you already.

Visions Festival, Hackney August 8th

JJ were enjoyable although slightly one-dimensional, Jens Lekman's solo set (accompanied by his friend Roland) was even more endearing than expected, and The Antlers nearly blew the roof off St John's church with Peter Silberman's incredible falsetto punctuating an atmospheric and gripping set. Holy Fuck were intense but took a while to get going, and their sound didn't fill the room quite as much as I was hoping.

0/10 for the chatty twats, but I guess it's to be expected at a London gig, a day festival all the more so.

All in all worth the £35 though, even if the 'craft beer and food festival' was not so much a festival but a couple of stalls selling overpriced pints and Jamaican jerk chicken.

• 4 weeks later...

Ryley Walker @ The Green Door Store, Brighton

Pleased to report exactly as expected: intense, expansive, terrific musicianship. I think they probably played about 6-7 numbers as a band (Ryley played 3 solo covers halfway through) but each lasted about 10 minutes. Set your controls for the heart of the Garden Stage. 

Really looking forward to seeing him on Friday, shame that he's only got a 45 minute slot - does a possible solo secret session somewhen over the weekend beckon?

• 2 weeks later...

Will Hoge @ Portland Arms, Cambridge

Back to reality, and a very decent set of what RRR would probably call "heartland rock", though very much of the meat and potato variety.  A terrific touring band made the little Portland shake during a much more lively set than Will's Tennessee roots suggested, and probably than the crowd familiar from airplay on Whispering Bob's country show expected.  Lyrically pretty weak, but the best £7.50 you could have spent in Cambridge that night (some craft pints nearing that in the Portland now though).

PINS at the Portland this week; shaping up to be a great autumn.

SC4M festival, The Railway, Winchester

Annual one day festival heavy on Americana, always attracting a much more heavyweight lineup than the 120 capacity should allow. Andrew Combs the star for me, against strong competition from Barna Howard, Dreaming Spires, Rob Vincent, Peter Bruntnell and Great Lake Swimmers. Fabulous day out amongst true music fans - no chatty twats here.

Annual one day festival heavy on Americana, always attracting a much more heavyweight lineup than the 120 capacity should allow. Andrew Combs the star for me, against strong competition from Barna Howard, Dreaming Spires, Rob Vincent, Peter Bruntnell and Great Lake Swimmers. Fabulous day out amongst true music fans - no chatty twats here.

I first saw Andrew Combs opening for Caitlin Rose in a tiny pub - think it was The Windmill. Just him, a guitar and a cowboy hat. I was i pressed by his voice and his songs - thought he was great at EotR - missed his comedy, sadly!

I always take Bruntnell too much for granted - he was very good on the day. If only everything hadn't been buried under the drums, I'd have given the gold medal to GLS. And, whilst I've seen better shows from them, don't forget the Coal Porters: never a dull moment.

I always take Bruntnell too much for granted - he was very good on the day. If only everything hadn't been buried under the drums, I'd have given the gold medal to GLS. And, whilst I've seen better shows from them, don't forget the Coal Porters: never a dull moment.

I agree with that - I think it was the best I've seen him (Bruntnell) after 6 sxsc/sc4m festivals. Great Lake Swimmers were much better than I expected - though they might be a bit quiet and one-paced (don't really know much of their stuff), but thought they were great. Andrew Combs and Barna Howard were fantastic. As were Small Town Jones. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's the best value musical day out money can buy (if you like that sort of thing).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Low @ Manchester Cathedral

Pretty much the EotR set, with the wonderful new LP in full and a few from "Great Destroyer", so you know how good it was.  Not sure about the Cathedral, which provided stunning views but ropey sound initially (Two Gallants were unlistenable).  "Pissing" and "Landslide" pretty much brought the roof scaffolding down though.  Crowd were mouse-quiet, but certainly not full and at £25 on the door not a surprise.  The gigs at Halifax Minster (Low, John Grant, Midlake) have had better views, sound and beer !

Jane Weaver @ Gorilla, Manchester

Just had enough coins and direction left after Manc's Indy Beer Convention to get in to see one of the gigs of the year to a boisterous but non-chatty home crowd.  Gorilla is a great little club venue that made the synth-driven tunes from "Silver Globe" really bounce, and in "I Need a Connection" I think she has a modern classic, at least in live form. Even better than at EotR.

Graham Parker & The Rumour @ The Brook, Southampton

The clock is ticking down, if this is indeed to be the last set of dates ever. There may arguably have been a couple of moments which made you realise why they didn't in the end make it big, but the whole of the night made you swear they deserved to. Emotional.

The Vryll Society and Dellavega at The Louisiana, Bristol

In a crowd of about 30, above a pub in a quiet part of Bristol, I was hugely impressed by these two bands. Big Jeff was there and in top headbanging form. Dellavega are local to Bristol, started off sounding like early Jam and ended up sounding like Pearl Jam. They definitely have a "sound" developing that's not just standard indie-rock, something potentially interesting. And noisy.

I saw The Vryll Society early on the Sunday morning at this year's EOTR, playing to a fairly full Big Top (which they carried off well), so The Louisiana was a bit different in atmosphere, but the band still delivered and exuded cool. Elements of early Verve, Pink Floyd chords, plus Motorik beats and basslines make for a hugely enjoyable mix.

At just £5 a ticket it was great value, but it makes you wonder how any young bands (or venues) can make money out of this game.

Graham Parker and The Rumour @ The Forum, Kentish

If this was truly to be the last ever show, then really folks, I wasn't going to miss it. They'll have finished on a high: pretty much the same set list as on the preceding nights, no loss of energy and still sounding great. Plus, of course, the horns. Terrific stuff.

DSCF2399.JPG

• 1 month later...

A generally wonderful autumn of LPs and gigs coming to a close.  Since the magical Jane Weaver, I've seen;

Gengahr @ Portland Arms, Cambridge - unconvincing as a headliner. Did enjoy Pumarosa's "Priestess" though.

Richard Hawley @ Corn Exchange, Cambridge.  My first time, missed him at No Direction Home. Enjoyed it as much as clearly did., though prefer the more considered stuff and at times felt a bit like a late Big Country rock-out session.

Destroyer @ Brudenell, Leeds.  My favourite venue, and got a great view and sound right of stage, but the new record isn't a classic, and Dan seemed to be going through the motions at time (unlike the rest of the band), compared with 2012 gig.

Kurt Vile @ Stylus, Leeds Uni.  New venue for me, OK but lacking the vantage pints and beer range of the Brudenell.

Lanterns on the Lake @ The Haunt, Brighton.  Pleasant small club venue, although early Sunday start to allow for a subsequent disco meant I missed both supports.  Lanterns have a classic LP in Beings, but the intricacies doesn't always translate to their slightly bombastic set.  A bit like the first Blue Nile LP being played by Lift to Experience if you like. That said, Stuck for an Outline is truly  immense, and I think their orchestral gig next year much more appealing.

Which brings us to the highlight of the year:-

End of the Road Christmas Party @ Oslo, Hackney. Takes a lot to make me laugh, but Mark Wynn had me in tears.  His Mark E Smith/Max Wall synthesis is genius, improvising banter over AC/DC and Creedence. A must to return to EotR.

Martha were a magnificent power pop act. I thought they were covering "Spirit of Radio" at one point, and it was good.  Only behind Sharon van Etten and Jane Weaver for performance of the year. Best gig sound of the year helped as well.

And Joanna were pretty good too, a set only slightly longer than Peanut Butter.  Not quite the same post-Alanna McArdle, but the new vocalists  have integrated well enough.

Despite the quality sound (same as Rescue Rooms I hear), it was hard to like Oslo and its very officious stewarding - was I alone ?  £5 for a warm can of Beavertown isn't good enough either.  Great night, irrespective of small grumble.

20151101_213813.jpg