Blur?

wozwebs

If they are going to come back together every few years as a recording band then I can't see Damon worrying about the 2009 show. He doesn't like someone who would be that sentimental about it all, that he would worry about not living up to that performance. They were outstanding in 2009, but whether it's this year, or in 5 years, I think Damon would be confident enough, and would want to play their new songs on such a stage. 2009 will never go away, people who were there or watched on TV will not forget how good they were that night, even if they didn't quite match it again. I could understand if it was their own gig like a Knebworth, Spike Island etc, but its Glastonbury. Surely a band such as Blur wouldn't worry about tarnishing any memories.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sadly went in 2009, my first and stupidly missed them , we had to work the next day and had to go, something I have never done again, first timers mistake, so if they did perform again I might be up for it, depending on clashes, though after seeing that set back I doubt they could better it, for me the hits set they did totally blew anything away that they might do again.

If they are going to come back together every few years as a recording band then I can't see Damon worrying about the 2009 show. He doesn't like someone who would be that sentimental about it all, that he would worry about not living up to that performance. They were outstanding in 2009, but whether it's this year, or in 5 years, I think Damon would be confident enough, and would want to play their new songs on such a stage. 2009 will never go away, people who were there or watched on TV will not forget how good they were that night, even if they didn't quite match it again. I could understand if it was their own gig like a Knebworth, Spike Island etc, but its Glastonbury. Surely a band such as Blur wouldn't worry about tarnishing any memories.

Not sure about that. Particuarky when you hear him speaking about it at the start of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJlBzkXQTk

Just looking at it brings back the goosebumps.

I wish I had some confidence that they might play. Hyde Park is far too close too Glastonbury for me to consider as a sensible option financially but I'd hate to miss out on the chance to see them this year and maybe have to wait another few years. I will be trying for the gig in Scotland that has been mentioned but I think that's gonna be a bastard to get tickets.

I don't think rumour would just be based on the fact they're back, they it was coming out Neil had some info they could be playing glasto as far as I remember

I don't remember anything about them playing Glastonbury. They were added as a rumour for Glastonbury, TITP, IOW and BST when he found out they were back, so I assume just covering all bases.

I don't remember anything about them playing Glastonbury. They were added as a rumour for Glastonbury, TITP, IOW and BST when he found out they were back, so I assume just covering all bases.

The day the announcement came out, Neil posted:

"and now we think (from info) that it might be Glasto."

Don't know whether that meant he thought the announcement would be Glasto tho.

That's what I was referring to anyway, I couldn't imagine sticking them in as a rumour without hearing anything at all about them maybe playing

I thought it was him more putting 2+2 together that he thought it was possible? He hadn't really heard anything in particular if I remember rightly? (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Neil)

On one hand, I'd love to see them again this summer, and if they're not at Glastonbury, I'll probably try to come over early for one of the Hyde Park shows (A Sunday one would be ideal - will be driving over from Europe for Glastonbury that day so could set off early and make a stop!)

On the other, 2009 was one of the proper great Glastonbury headline sets, up with Radiohead 97, where any reprise couldn't possibly live up to the original (see Radiohead 2003 - also good, but not quite 97). In fact, 09 was probably the best thing I've ever seen on the Pyramid. I love the band and I love the festival but...

Opening the Other would solve that problem, but it would be chaos unless it was a very well kept secret ahead of time. Quite how that's accomplished these days is a mystery - unless they were to book two secret acts, one on the Pyramid and one on the Other, and split the crowd!