Y-Not Festival 2015

5co77ie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see what was happening with the campervans last year, but I don't think you would have an issue with getting the campervan parked a bit early - or at least, getting it on site and in a queue for the parking area.  Last year they let families in a little early to start to get their tents set up, but for most it was 2 (give or take 10 min).  Not an issue if the weather is good since folks just sat in a queue and started in on a couple of beverages.  Couple of years ago though it was a race to see if we could get in before the weather hit.  We lost.

Other previous questions - they have published times in advance in previous years, and some friendly kind person usually sets up a clashfinder.

Showers - they do have them.  It's a bit hit and miss though and they are not in abundant supply - but they are there!  I *think* there were about 3 blocks of 4 last year (i.e. 1 shower per 1500 people, assuming they are all working!!!) so you can see how oversubscribed they will be.  Sometimes they have locked them overnight to try to minimize damage, but your best bet is getting up very early doors to try to get in.  Headliners might be a good bet as well, depending on your priorities!!!

It depends which camping area you are in, and how they park the cars up, karl - however, it's not a massive distance.  It looks from the plan (and in previous years) that the family camping is closest to the entrance, and this really is no distance at all.  Then quiet camping.  And then the main area. If you were walking with no gear at all, I can't imagine it would take much more than 10-15 min to the very farthest corner of the site from the entrance.  Obviously laden down with tents and alcoholic consumables, it can take longer.

Couple of years ago they irritatingly parked first-comers as far away from the entrance as they could, which seemed a poor reward for being early.  Folks complained and they improved it last year.

To be honest, getting across the car park is a bigger chore than the site as the grass is uncut and ground uneven.

With the distance being so short, we have found it best to just take the tent in first (and a couple of cans) with the initial mad rush, get the tent up - and then once things have calmed down through security, go back and pick up the rest of your stuff.  Several trips is not too much of a burden if you go with the attitude that's what you are going to do.

It depends which camping area you are in, and how they park the cars up, karl - however, it's not a massive distance.  It looks from the plan (and in previous years) that the family camping is closest to the entrance, and this really is no distance at all.  Then quiet camping.  And then the main area. If you were walking with no gear at all, I can't imagine it would take much more than 10-15 min to the very farthest corner of the site from the entrance.  Obviously laden down with tents and alcoholic consumables, it can take longer.

Couple of years ago they irritatingly parked first-comers as far away from the entrance as they could, which seemed a poor reward for being early.  Folks complained and they improved it last year.

To be honest, getting across the car park is a bigger chore than the site as the grass is uncut and ground uneven.

With the distance being so short, we have found it best to just take the tent in first (and a couple of cans) with the initial mad rush, get the tent up - and then once things have calmed down through security, go back and pick up the rest of your stuff.  Several trips is not too much of a burden if you go with the attitude that's what you are going to do.

Absolutely the way to go. Festivals where you can do this are a real treat. I often leave things in my car until I need them (i.e. excess booze, dry food etc). Really makes life a lot easier I find.

I think last year it took me about 10 minutes to walk from my car to our pitch, and we ended up parking pretty much at the back as well. After doing Glastonbury this year it really is eye opening, and it makes you thankful just how convenient Y Not is!

Cheers for that Martin..., do the Campervans go in a separate field or are they with the tents?

It took us 11 and a half hours to get home from Glastonbury to Manchester this year. Set off from our spot and after six and a half hours we finally got off the site, then into the road queues. To avoid this we'll probably bail out form the Y not late Sunday eve or very early Monday morning. Well that's the plan :prankster:

No problem, dude!  

The campervans last year were in a separate small field next to the main car park. (I should emphasise all these comments relate to last year - they do like to shake things up a bit each year so if you turn up and things are completely different, don't blame me :-) ).  If you go to google maps (earth view), and my memory is correct, then the main car park is at 53.126891, -1.705899, the campervans were in 53.127879, -1.709034, the family and quiet camping in 53.124561, -1.708348 (you can see see the main paths :-), and the main stage arond53.125691, -1.711290

Don't worry about leaving.  Lots of folks leave on the Sunday (not wanting to book Monday off, I guess).  You certainly won't need that much time to get off site and out - especially if you are returning from Manchester and so turning left out of the site back towards the A515.  OK, you don't exactly drive straight out but it is not more than 10-15 min, and we've usually been leaving about 10/11ish on the Monday, probably with the main "rush" (took us a bit longer one year when it had pissed down on the Sunday night, and they were having some problems getting cars off - but that's to be expected).  The majority of traffic is heading right towards Matlock, and of that going left, much heads off down towards Ashborne when you hit the A515.  By the time I've got on the A515 heading North, there are not too many other cars you see which have been at the festival.  

I agree with Martin, you won't have much trouble getting out.  Last year the van field lead to the road out and it was at the back of the site so it was no problem and we left at peak time on Monday, and took 5 mins to the 515 which was clear.  Until our 40 mph only van was on it!!.  I would think about not spoiling your Sunday night if you aren't working Monday as you won't have to put up with anything major like Glasto which is special, in so many ways and infamous for the queue off site.

Think yourselves lucky you have this problem.  I know of 22 of us, and counting, all looking for van tickets!  Something has changed from previous years as there hasn't been a problem in the past.  I think you will have about 5 other vans with you.  That'll be nice!  If we do get a van ticket, keep an eye out for a 1/2 and 1/2 cream and s**t brown Merc 408 and say hello.

If anybody fancies a band recommendation...saw 'Allusondrugs' at '2000Trees' this weekend and they were brilliant. Definitely worth a watch. 

Missed them at trees - so thank you!  I will see you "Allusondrugs" and raise you a "Solemn Sun" and "Woahnows".  2 bands for the price of 1!

No problem, dude!  

The campervans last year were in a separate small field next to the main car park. (I should emphasise all these comments relate to last year - they do like to shake things up a bit each year so if you turn up and things are completely different, don't blame me :-) ).  If you go to google maps (earth view), and my memory is correct, then the main car park is at 53.126891, -1.705899, the campervans were in 53.127879, -1.709034, the family and quiet camping in 53.124561, -1.708348 (you can see see the main paths :-), and the main stage arond53.125691, -1.711290

Don't worry about leaving.  Lots of folks leave on the Sunday (not wanting to book Monday off, I guess).  You certainly won't need that much time to get off site and out - especially if you are returning from Manchester and so turning left out of the site back towards the A515.  OK, you don't exactly drive straight out but it is not more than 10-15 min, and we've usually been leaving about 10/11ish on the Monday, probably with the main "rush" (took us a bit longer one year when it had pissed down on the Sunday night, and they were having some problems getting cars off - but that's to be expected).  The majority of traffic is heading right towards Matlock, and of that going left, much heads off down towards Ashborne when you hit the A515.  By the time I've got on the A515 heading North, there are not too many other cars you see which have been at the festival.  

I agree with Martin, you won't have much trouble getting out.  Last year the van field lead to the road out and it was at the back of the site so it was no problem and we left at peak time on Monday, and took 5 mins to the 515 which was clear.  Until our 40 mph only van was on it!!.  I would think about not spoiling your Sunday night if you aren't working Monday as you won't have to put up with anything major like Glasto which is special, in so many ways and infamous for the queue off site.

Think yourselves lucky you have this problem.  I know of 22 of us, and counting, all looking for van tickets!  Something has changed from previous years as there hasn't been a problem in the past.  I think you will have about 5 other vans with you.  That'll be nice!  If we do get a van ticket, keep an eye out for a 1/2 and 1/2 cream and s**t brown Merc 408 and say hello.

Cheers Martin and Wuddy, all sounds promising and as I'm not working the Monday we can relax a bit knowing it isn't going to be a shitt*r to get out .

Is there plenty of space to put up your tent? I.e. will tents be virtually touching each other, or will there be a decent buffer zone? Thanks

Space really is not an issue at Y Not. I always feel as though they could raise the attendance by a fair number due to the amount of space left after everyone has arrived, but it's definitely a benefit. You'll probably struggle for space if you arrive late and want to camp in the most prime location, but there will be plenty of space elsewhere. 

Whilst agreeing there has been space, they have been increasing numbers and will have done again this year I suspect, to be able to afford the attendance of Mr. Dogg.  Last year the back left field (as you looked from the entrance) was a lot busier than in previous years (thus keeping the overall density low), possibly helped by the outpost bar in the corner - but I feel the folks there were lucky with the weather.  The slope on that hill would have made it very messy had it poured down.

Anybody give us a steer as regards to which tents are likely to play indie at the silent disco?? Pet hate of mine that you go to an 'indie' festival then the silent disco plays chart crap!

I think there was only one silent disco last year, was a mix of indie and chart crap from what I remember... Which isn't much.

anyone know the band running times for friday

I wish.  Their facebook/twitter feeds are peppered with folks asking for running times.  It would be great if they could get them out today, so we can spend a little time over the weekend working a couple of things out.