Godiva 2015

Perks

Im going for the day out with my mates, have a fair few beers, hopefully a sunny day, the booking this year, they're obviously trying something different to get money in everyday rather than just Saturday, it might backfire as can see a lot of people looking at that Saturday and think no thanks, it looks very much targeting at under 18's.

Under 18s won't spend money at the bar.

I can imagine they won't too much on food either.

Yeah totally agree, looks like they are trying something different, and as you say 18 year olds wont be spending at the bar. The Happy Mondays bought a lot of boozehounds in, that'll be where they make their money. Think we were just spoiled last year to be fair.

Me and me pals are heading the Friday, FLC will be immense, then I'll see the Sat, if the weather is sunny and hot and we're not too rough from the night before, we'll head over. I like a couple of the Wombats tracks, but the pesky teenagers might grind on me!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only really interested in Don Broco & would see Wombats for a few of their hits.

What is the deal with getting into this? Do you have to arrive by a certain time? Is it likely to be "full" before a certain time?

Essentially, we'd probably spend all day drinking in Birmingham (as we'd have to change trains here anyway) before heading over to Coventry for around 7 ideally.

I'm only really interested in Don Broco & would see Wombats for a few of their hits.

What is the deal with getting into this? Do you have to arrive by a certain time? Is it likely to be "full" before a certain time?

Essentially, we'd probably spend all day drinking in Birmingham (as we'd have to change trains here anyway) before heading over to Coventry for around 7 ideally.

Nah...just turn up on the day. As long as you're not trying to take booze in you can normally just walk in.

Give us a shout if you want recommendations on decent pubs in Brum!

Just seen this on Godiva twitter

@godivafestival: Saturday Rhythm tent line-up announced! @bignarstie @LadyLeshurr @theskints @dreadzonemusic and more! /EEHR4psvyW

And I'm back in the game. Bloody hell -- Dreadzone and The Skints. well played Godiva, well played

Edited by Perks

Nah...just turn up on the day. As long as you're not trying to take booze in you can normally just walk in.

Give us a shout if you want recommendations on decent pubs in Brum!

Always disappointed with pubs in the city centre, most of them have closed down.

Yes please! And Coventry if you know any :)

'Sun On The Hill' is dead close to the station (literally 2 mins). Decent music and beer. If you are into your ale you have to try 'The Wellington' which is just up the road from 'The Sun'. There is a 'Brew Dog' round the other side of the station, worth going just to laugh at the funny hipster beards, and just down from there is the 'The Vic' which is worth a visit. Also got the new Snobs, great music and OK beer, quite cheap. And just over the road from Snobs you've got The Sunflower Lounge. All of these are within a 5 minute walk from the station.

Cov I have no idea about mate sorry. Normally heard straight to Godiva once we hit the station (with a can to drink on the way)

Edited by Flaminglippy

Good work FL, forget we have some decent boozers still! What's the new snobs like? Haven't ventured there yet. Not keen. Loved the old one too much

Its not too bad. Not really got much in common with the original Snobs (they show the football and your feet don't stick to the floor!). Musics always pretty good though, the downstairs bit is open all day. Yeah, the old Snobs was a Brummie institution...lost count of how many nights I staggered out of there!

Thanks for the suggestions! Recognise some of them but fancy going somewhere different...

Sunflower Lounge is where we usually find ourselves, although I'm not a fan since the refurb! Wasn't overly keen on the Wellington (assuming it's the one opposite the 02 Academy?) and haven't been in Scruffy Murphy's for a good while... Haven't ventured that way since the Carling Academy/Ballroom days.

Need to try the new Snobs too as I only went to the old one the once. Will check out the Brew Dog for the laugh as well then!

Thanks for the suggestions! Recognise some of them but fancy going somewhere different...

Sunflower Lounge is where we usually find ourselves, although I'm not a fan since the refurb! Wasn't overly keen on the Wellington (assuming it's the one opposite the 02 Academy?) and haven't been in Scruffy Murphy's for a good while... Haven't ventured that way since the Carling Academy/Ballroom days.

Need to try the new Snobs too as I only went to the old one the once. Will check out the Brew Dog for the laugh as well then!

Wrong Wellington dude.. The one FL's referring to is further up Bennett's Hill, it's got at least 20 real ales on

Obviously I am not moaning as its free...however...would have much preferred to have Embrace, Wombats and FLC on same day. Seems to be a lot of erm, whats the word you use when you want to say 'filler' but are being polite, across the 3 days??

Edited by Flaminglippy

Obviously I am not moaning as its free...however...would have much preferred to have Embrace, Wombats and FLC on same day. Seems to be a lot of erm, whats the word you use when you want to say 'filler' but are being polite, across the 3 days??

Absolutely right. Unless their budget has been slashed (with it being council run it's possible) then there is a lot of filler, last year having Happy Mondays, Dan Le Sac vs Scoobius Pip & We Are Scientists in one day probably spoilt us.. Think it was Buzzcocks on the Friday too so this years lineup is really tame in comparison.

As said previously, still good for a freebie but they could've really pushed on this year & got another better undercard/headliner for the Saturday especially

• 3 weeks later...

Went down on the Sunday, had a good day. Bit quiet, didn't queue for a pint once. The sun breaking out when Embrace started 'All You Good Good People' was a nice touch! Some of the set lenghts were a bit odd. Was really enjoying 'The Kings Parade' but seemed they got pulled off early! (and not in a good way).

Shame Embrace didn't come back on for an encore. Good day out though. 

I went Sat, saw the Skints and Dreadzone, both awesome. But wasn't anything after we were interested in, hung around till about 8 - then felt the atmosphere change and it got a bit moody, loads of smashed up 16 year olds, saw fights and police chasing people. So we left. No interest in all that. Was a good day though. Did have one funny thing said to me. In the middle at the front for Dreadzone, dancing away, some absolute bellends infront of us, prob only about 15/16 years old, all they were doing was taking photos of themselves, no interest in the gig. One of the k-nobs turns round to me and says 'can you stop bumping into me please, you keep knocking me' I laughed and said dude, you're in the middle of a gig, dont be silly, he says 'can you stop knocking into me' I said dude. you're in the middle of a gig, no. he then says 'well can you go over there then' and pointed to the side. I laughed and said you fucking go over there' he then sucked his teeth at me. Unbelievable. there was about 10 of them. total waste of sperms, about 5 mins later they left. much to our delight. they've got a lot to learn. Reckon the line up this year on the main stage bought the kids out....just a shame a lot of them are idiots.

I went Sat, saw the Skints and Dreadzone, both awesome. But wasn't anything after we were interested in, hung around till about 8 - then felt the atmosphere change and it got a bit moody, loads of smashed up 16 year olds, saw fights and police chasing people. So we left. No interest in all that. Was a good day though. Did have one funny thing said to me. In the middle at the front for Dreadzone, dancing away, some absolute bellends infront of us, prob only about 15/16 years old, all they were doing was taking photos of themselves, no interest in the gig. One of the k-nobs turns round to me and says 'can you stop bumping into me please, you keep knocking me' I laughed and said dude, you're in the middle of a gig, dont be silly, he says 'can you stop knocking into me' I said dude. you're in the middle of a gig, no. he then says 'well can you go over there then' and pointed to the side. I laughed and said you fucking go over there' he then sucked his teeth at me. Unbelievable. there was about 10 of them. total waste of sperms, about 5 mins later they left. much to our delight. they've got a lot to learn. Reckon the line up this year on the main stage bought the kids out....just a shame a lot of them are idiots.

Yeah, I'd heard there was likely to be trouble on the Saturday. Hopefully they'll learn. Or failing that, they'll stop going to festivals. The Sunday was very family orientated. Kids all the place, all blowing bloody bubbles. All my pints ended up tasting like Fairy Liquid.   

I also went for the Saturday and can kind of echo what Perks has said... Turned up early for The Skints and with the sun out, lots of families about, the place had a really friendly feel to it. We popped off to the pub during the afternoon as there wasn't much else we wanted to see but when we came back around 6ish, there were a few drunk people who clearly cared for nothing but themselves... But hey, it's a festival so that's to be expected I suppose!

Don Broco were great by the way and it was nice to see The Wombats again after a 7 year gap. Mikill Pane was fairly disappointing though but feel that may be because the crowd were more interesting in the chart songs the DJ was playing before hand. 

Overall a decent day for a freebie!

I also went for the Saturday and can kind of echo what Perks has said... Turned up early for The Skints and with the sun out, lots of families about, the place had a really friendly feel to it. We popped off to the pub during the afternoon as there wasn't much else we wanted to see but when we came back around 6ish, there were a few drunk people who clearly cared for nothing but themselves... But hey, it's a festival so that's to be expected I suppose!

Don Broco were great by the way and it was nice to see The Wombats again after a 7 year gap. Mikill Pane was fairly disappointing though but feel that may be because the crowd were more interesting in the chart songs the DJ was playing before hand. 

Overall a decent day for a freebie!

Yeah totally agree, was a lovely atmosphere all day. some of me pals had their kids with them, they loved the family area. It was just on the evening it changed, to be honest, we weren't planning on hanging round late anyway, saw The Skints and Dreadzone and that was us sorted, but as it was a nice day we stayed and chilled out.

The Wombats put on a good show then? Heard people all day on about Don Broco, had no idea who they / he is, but yeah clearly popular.

Defo a decent day for a freebie, without doubt. Fair play to Cov council for doing it.

Yeah Wombats were pretty good, played quite a few old songs too so that was a bonus... They even started playing a new song for about 10 seconds at one point, stopped and were like "shall we just play Moving To New York instead?". It seemed a bit staged but made me laugh at least!

Don Broco were the best act of the day for me, seen them a few times now and although they're not for everyone, the crowd seemed to love them too!

I went Sat, got there about 2.30? Watched Orange Club I think they were called, who just covered Madness and Specials and the like, really enjoyable though, great stuff, Dreadzone, first time I've seen them, didn't disappoint at all, they were brilliant. Family by me however in the tent were just dancing whilst their kids were squirting water pistols at everyone, I had a word with the dad and he casually said don't do that whilst his son completely ignored him and went back to squirt me in the face. I felt like snapping his gun in half, seriously guys, look after your fucking kids. 

Went outside for rest of the day, to be honest the acts all came and went without me being impressed with anyone, Wombats were pretty decent, first time Id seen them since 2008. They were up for it.

Absolutely full of teens onsite compared to other years and we left about 10.15 and there was numerous fights starting between blokes around the exit to the festival to the park land, police everywhere, worse atmosphere at Godiva for years, they seriously messed up the booking this year IMO, its almost as if they're trying to run it into the ground so they don't have to continue.

Beer tasted decent all day long and was never queuing very long and had some decent grub although im sure the food prices have gone up.

Another thing I will say is security onsite for the Rhythm tent was AWFUL. They kept stopping people going in the tent despite it being nowhere near full, I asked can I go throw this in the bin and he said if you do you aint coming back in,

why?

tents full

no it aint look how much space there is, you could fit another 500 people in here

No 

So what shall I do with this

dont care

so shall I throw it on the floor

dont care

so you would rather I threw it on the floor than walk to that bin just there and come back in the space of 5 seconds

no answer

dropped it at his feet and walked off

2 mins later he let in about 100 people

no one had left the tent

this happened numerous times, serious power trips going on.