First timer

Frigge

Hello everyone.
Im from sweden (so excuse my bad English) and me and my father wanted to go to Download Festival this year.
The thing is neither one of us have ever been on a festival before, countless concerts but not a full festival (There are like no good festivals in Sweden).

The first thing i need to know/get tips about is where to live. The hotels in Castle Donington were expensive a.f. and neither one of us likes campings. B&B? cities nearby?

The second thing is transportation. I guess the city aint that big so if we decide to take in on a hotel or something then maybe it aint such a huge deal but if we sleep in like a close by city, how would the best way to get to and back from the arena?

Third, does someone have an "schedule" of some sort so i can see if any of my favourite bands play time colides?

And lastly, any other survival tips for a newbie? ^^

All help will be gratefull!

1. All hotels b&b's around donnington are either going to be booked or really expensive this close to the festival.

2. If you can get a cheap hotel in derby, that's probably your best option. There is a shuttle bus that runs from derby train to the festival site throughout the weekend.

3. The band times are usually officially announced the week before the festival on the official site, however people will start making their own on clashfinder once more acts have been announced. You can also buy a programme once you're there which will come with a schedule lanyard.

Lastly, bring clothes for all weather, download can be either scorching hot like it was last year, or submerged under water like it was a few years back.

Also, if all those options are too expensive just camp, it's not worth missing out on the band's. I don't like camping but download is definitely one of the friendlier fest crowds I've camped with.

1. All hotels b&b's around donnington are either going to be booked or really expensive this close to the festival.

2. If you can get a cheap hotel in derby, that's probably your best option. There is a shuttle bus that runs from derby train to the festival site throughout the weekend.

3. The band times are usually officially announced the week before the festival on the official site, however people will start making their own on clashfinder once more acts have been announced. You can also buy a programme once you're there which will come with a schedule lanyard.

Lastly, bring clothes for all weather, download can be either scorching hot like it was last year, or submerged under water like it was a few years back.

Also, if all those options are too expensive just camp, it's not worth missing out on the band's. I don't like camping but download is definitely one of the friendlier fest crowds I've camped with.

Thanks mate, im checking hotels in Derby now. Is it realy far Leichter>donington?

Also, as i guess you have camped there, Is it realy loud and stuff? Im underaged and wont be drinking and my dad aint a party animal exactly so i guess we want to go to sleep like normal hours, 12-1 PM.

There's a quiet camping area for families and things so you shouldn't worry.

Just make sure you buy the quiet/family camping tickets.

Yeah, leicester I think you mean? That's much further away. Derby is definitely your best bet, anything else would probably be too much hassle

Or Nottingham. Plenty of transport options from Nottingham

There's a quiet camping area for families and things so you shouldn't worry.

Just make sure you buy the quiet/family camping tickets.

Yeah, leicester I think you mean? That's much further away. Derby is definitely your best bet, anything else would probably be too much hassle

thanks, Yeah Derby would be cool. I am a big football and would love to go visit Pride Park ^^

I'm also a first timer, although I've been to many other festivals... Just wondering what there is to do on the Thursday? Also what is there to do after the bands each night?

Also, what lager do they usually serve in the arena? (This is important).

Lager is Turborg, 4.6%, its alright.

They also sell Guiness at one place and I think theres a Ale bar somewhere on site.

Thursday daytime theres nothing, in the evening they have some bands play in the campsite, unsigned bands, theres usually 4 on, Ive never gone to this as I always do a pub crawl in Donington Village.

After bands finish they have a couple tents in the campsite that have either Karoke, DJ's, Comedians, or some other things like in the past they've had wrestling.

They'll announce what is on closer to the time.

There is a bus from Leicester that passes the Download site but I don't know how long it would take - well over an hour, I would think - Leicester is quite a long way from Castle Donington. Derby is definitely the closest, followed by Nottingham.

No good festivals in Sweden?

Erm....

PosterSRF3-905x1280.jpg

Seems little meh imo, only Judas Priest, Refuge and 5FDP i want to see there.

They also sell Guiness at one place and I think theres a Ale bar somewhere on site.

Thursday daytime theres nothing, in the evening they have some bands play in the campsite, unsigned bands, theres usually 4 on, Ive never gone to this as I always do a pub crawl in Donington Village.

After bands finish they have a couple tents in the campsite that have either Karoke, DJ's, Comedians, or some other things like in the past they've had wrestling.

Do they serve any non-alcoholic alternatives? :)

No good festivals in Sweden?

Erm....

PosterSRF3-905x1280.jpg

Any festival with Toto must be a win. Also I like how they specify that Def Leppard are playing a "Greatest Hits Setlist" Surely thats all Def Leppard have done since the 80's? I'm also a first timer stepping down from Glastonbury the past 2 years to Download is going to be a bit of a shock but the line up is so good this year I think I'll manage.

• 2 months later...

I'm a download virgin heading to the fest with a group of friends, how far away is the village from the festival. Fancy a pub crawl.

From the site entrance I reckon you are just over a kilometre to the first pub. I'll be doing the Donington pub crawl for the very first time this year too on the Thursday most likely. Always arrived Friday morning and been jealous of all those sat outside the pubs.