Download 2016

Hart Attack

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PMSL - they can't even get suitable headliners or three days without having just a few bands on constant repeat. :lol:

As ive said its more keeping headliners out of Sonisphere's hands.

When you take a look at the top 4 of each main stage this year they did pretty well.

SLIPKNOT - Headlined 2 years ago, but at top of their game, the biggest band in modern metal.

JUDAS PRIEST -Hadn't played in 7 years

FFDP - played in recent years but have grew massively, getting that push up the bill

CLUTCH - haven't played in 6 years

MUSE - never played Download before, along with Foo's are the biggest name in modern commercial rock 

FAITH NO MORE - hadn't played in 6 years

ADTR - Hadn't played main stage before [if they have its like 8 years ago] getting a huge push

RISE AGAINST - headlined second a few years ago up against Black Sabbath so a lot of people wouldn't have seen them

KISS - haven't played in 7 years

MOTLEY CRUE - hadn't played in 6 years, last ever festival show

SLASH - played 3 years ago but as second stage headliner, last played main stage 5 years ago

BILLY IDOL - played 5 years ago

so when you look at that theres not many repeat bookings and the ones there are in big positions are new to those slots apart from Slipknot. 

Thing is, rock fans are loyal to these big headlining artists, they are happy with big names coming back, I think its worse if you go to both Download and Soni every year as they will repeat much more, but if you go just Download then its not as bad.

Say if Metallica are back next year its been 4 years. I think that is a fair enough gap IMO. Its only if you are going Soni and Reading you will have seen them more often and thats not Downloads fault.

I know they are branching out to new headliners though and trying to grow new ones, I've spoken about this at great length before.

yep, but when these types of fests start branching into new musical areas - such as with Muse - they start to lose the metal crowd, as Soni found out. They also end up competing with R/L to a certain extent.

i can't see it working on any sustainable basis, but I wish them the best of luck anyway because I'd much rather that it did work.

Edited by eFestivals

The issue is that even this year with Soni off police/other reports said about 45k camping 70k overall turnout per day which is okay turnout but with a reasonably stacked line up and no Soni its not a tremendous success - albeit improving on last years low showing.

Other than a lack of bands, a probable likely price hike if its a 4 dayer which might price a lot of people out. You also have people who prefer a weekend only event due to work commitments as its additional leave needed if they feel they need to arrive early. I thinl it raises a lot of questions as to how successful itd be.

The positives though would be getting more people in a day early and spending money, more scope for boosting bands up if its a half day with lower expectations. However other than the negatives raised above if they cant keep up the momentum and commit to 4 days in future years after moving to that itd look weak going back to a weaker 4 dayer or down to 3 days due to lack of acts

The issue is that even this year with Soni off police/other reports said about 45k camping 70k overall turnout per day which is okay turnout but with a reasonably stacked line up and no Soni its not a tremendous success - albeit improving on last years low showing.

Other than a lack of bands, a probable likely price hike if its a 4 dayer which might price a lot of people out. You also have people who prefer a weekend only event due to work commitments as its additional leave needed if they feel they need to arrive early. I thinl it raises a lot of questions as to how successful itd be.

The positives though would be getting more people in a day early and spending money, more scope for boosting bands up if its a half day with lower expectations. However other than the negatives raised above if they cant keep up the momentum and commit to 4 days in future years after moving to that itd look weak going back to a weaker 4 dayer or down to 3 days due to lack of acts

Stacked lineup?

Unless the 4th day is a mini one rather than a full extra day where they bands start later in the evening on the Thu when alot of campers have already come and set up like a few other fests already do. Saying that I can't see an extra day working at all imo.

Edited by jump

It's a pretty busy place already on Wednesday, I doubt people would take Tuesday off if it went to 4 day, they'd just bin the pub crawl/campsite party. I'd rather it didn't go to 4 days but I've yet to do a four day festival so I'd give it a bash.

When I say this year was "stacked" thewayiam, I mean relatively so compared to previous years.

In regards to getting people in earlier I think a lot do arrive early but not all, to have an extra day would surely be entice ALL to arrive early as its an extra day spending funds on beer/food/merch however its not as simple I dont think. Download already falls during school and exam time and I think many like its on one weekend as they need to take maybe friday and monday off - mayve not even Monday if they are localish and can head home Sunday night, so more music might not convince them to shift to coming on weds/thurs if it means more annual leave had to be used. Especially if its a half dayer and the bands are less than par, but increasing the music would mean more cost for those who do like arriving early but they'll need to pay more for the luxury and again if its only a half day or lesser acts it might put people off paying even more to arrive early.

I think if it cant run as 4 days every year then dont do it, if they expanded to 4 then went back to 3 a year or two later that'd look weak

Perhaps, but then they are limiting themselves to it for a "one year only" when they'd clearly rather not if they went to the effort.  Obviously if it's sustainable they can say "it was so successful it's back in 2017 as a 4 dayer", but then in 2018 if there's not enough bands around and they have to go back it'd look just as bad.  So I think regardless they'd need to be sure it's sustainable in the longer term.

I don't think it's impossible, and as above there's definite benefits and with turnout fluctuating so much over the years, maybe they do want to try and solidify a higher turnout but they get good turnout on a 3 dayer at the current prices, when they get good line ups regardless of whether sonisphere runs or not, so I don't think Sonisphere is their biggest issue, and unless they can do it without bumping up prices a fair bit they'll risk pricing people out of it.  They should focus on what actually works and that is getting a good line up for 3 days, if they can't do that then how would they even manage it at 4 days?

I'll make this clear, its because of the potential four headliners available next year, if they don't nail those four, it won't happen and I think it would only happen when 4 headliners are there that would require it, we all know the undercard would be difficult to fill. 

Last year the fourth headliner didn't get done and it remained at 3 days. 

Rock AM Ring did something similar the other year where they managed to get 4 headliners and put on a few bands on the Thurs and it went back to 3 days afterwards, id imagine this will be the situation.

Did Andy actually say that it would be four days? The way I read it was that he had made offers to four bands and,if they all said yes, he would work something out then.

Maybe co-headliners or make the second stage bigger for one year??

It would be, it was going to be last year too, if it came off [2014]

It would be, it was going to be last year too, if it came off [2014]

Last year was considered weak though with A7X and Linkin Park. Even Aerosmith aren't everyone's cup of tea. Haterz would have hated if the "other" headliner wasn't a good solid one. Not me like, I loved them all :)

Last year was considered weak though with A7X and Linkin Park. Even Aerosmith aren't everyone's cup of tea. Haterz would have hated if the "other" headliner wasn't a good solid one. Not me like, I loved them all :)

Those 3 weren't necessarily the 4 he initially had others out to though