Hart Attack

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2016 at 4:27 PM, luckysalt said:

Did you see someone who has paid to go Download ask can he ask

1 - why he hasn't replaced Motorhead or Rival Sons

2- where has the money gone from the booking of these acts has it gone into another area of the festival

He replied, 1 - No, 2- None of your business.

Seriously, we are a customer and its none of our business, he must know that there's many people upset by this, he can't understand there's been literally no communication with the CUSTOMERS what exactly is happening with the Motorhead slot apart from Lemmy's hat been put in the slot on the poster and we are in talks over a tribute, more info in a couple weeks, Lemmy died 3 months ago, there's less than that to the actual festival so really you would have thought they would have had some information on this by now, a show in SEPTEMBER is already advertising a Lemmy tribute and saying who is involved. 

The other issue, Rival Sons being bumped up, if he booked them in the 5th slot down in the first place then why all of a sudden does he feel they are big enough for 4th slot, they aren't, they aren't even big enough for 5th in mine and a lot of other people's opinion. BUT Andy doesn't want to know OUR opinion, especially if we have already paid for our ticket, instead anyone who disagrees with him he blocks or says glad you aren't booking the festival. I remember when you used to be able to have a great chat with Andy about things, 2009 he took onboard fans opinions, it REALLY felt like he wanted to put on THE best festival he could for the FANS. But now it feels like hes trying to book what will sell the most with the least outlay.

So I was angry right, like all of you, but then I thought about it.

Im not stupid I know Download has had numerous sponsors pull away from it, in the village they used to have multiple sponsor stages for the punters like Duracell, Monster, VK etc they've all pulled away, well Monster was pushed when they signed the deal with Red Bull, then Red Bull don't want to put a stage on anymore either. I understand they've lost revenue and they need to make back what they can in other areas, especially when fans still want stuff to do in the village so they have to pay for it themselves instead of a sponsor, however, thing is at a festival they have their Pepsi deal to only sell Pepsi not Coke, Lager is branded to Turborg only, Red Bull is the only energy drink so why would these brand pay extra for a stage when there is no other choice anyway, they're already paying in a deal to get their brand onsite, so its not like theres NO money coming in.

But I completely understand that Andy is probably looking at the number of tickets sold, then the cost of say a Limp Bizkit to replace Down, then he's looking at the extra tickets that booking Limp Bizkit to replace Down will sell, then he's thinking nowhere near worth the value. So no replacement is booked. Act gets bumped up, Live Nation saves some money and come the festival everyone will be happy. 

The thing is though he doesn't have to come across so blunt and harsh on twitter, but people have spoken to him like crap on there for a long time, its gotten to him and won't have a conversation with people anymore, but he doesn't go on the official forums either. He's become the face of Download and sadly when people are angry he's also the target of their anger.

Download has become just like the other fests, whereas it used to feel our opinion was valued, now we either like it and go or we don't and stay at home. 

This was always going to happen once Soni was knocked off. Now the choice is go abroad or go Bloodstock and I think a lot of people who go Bloodstock do Download anyway. As long as Download is shifting the tickets nothing will change. But lets not be stupid here, if Download isn't making money it wouldn't be happening, its not a favour to us, its a business to them. So it will be continued to be run as such. This is why there's no Down replacement at first I was pissed about it, but then I thought about it and so I wrote what I did above. 

So, basically, nothings going to change folks and we all just get used to it and if you don't like the line up, don't go. Hell I did the same with V in 2010, that was my last year after years and years of going because it was local to me and they had line ups I liked, they stopped giving me value for my money for my tastes, so I stopped going.

Thats your only choice as a customer, go or don't. Me stop going to V didn't change anything though, it only went in the opposite direction and become even more against my tastes and now I go to Victorious instead. 

Completely agree with this - a shame that download is taking this turn though. However, i do think it can be revived. In terms of next year, if they announce some unexpected bands (bands like tool, no doubt etc), mixed with a strong undercard i think people will be happy. All we need is rarity and surprises and all might be well

On 1 April 2016 at 7:18 PM, PastCaring said:

Oh, I nearly forgot - a new Premier Inn has just opened up in Derby that is within walking distance of the station.

Thanks for the advice :-) booking the Premier Inn.  Travelling from Australia and paying a lot of money for bands we won't get to see here.  So be grateful and support what you have, we didn't and lost our only real rock festival.

12 hours ago, jo9999 said:

Thanks for the advice :-) booking the Premier Inn.  Travelling from Australia and paying a lot of money for bands we won't get to see here.  So be grateful and support what you have, we didn't and lost our only real rock festival.

That Soundwave? The last one was pretty awful compared to past ones, but if you have no alternative surely its better than nothing, I was shocked it failed to sell still.

Until people stop buying earlybird tickets, and buying tickets when only 9 bands have been announced - nothing will change. You are a captive audience if you do. I used to love download, but the truth (for me) is that I havent really enjoyed the last few for various reasons (mainly the shitty weather - I know that isnt anyones fault). I've enjoyed 2000 trees far more, and despite horrific weather in parts, last year ATG was a great festival. I think the churning of headliners and lack of exciting new bands, coupled with the corporate side of things has made things get a bit tired.

This is the first year that none of our "gang" are going since DL started, thats between 6 and 14 people, every year since day one, and we did RIP about 3 times too.

We might be doing 2000 trees.

15 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Slaves aren't honouring their UK tour or festivals either, not a fan myself but that's such a shitty way to treat the fans.

That's completely to be expected when a band splits up though. Happened since the dawn of time.

28 minutes ago, ToffeePopcorn said:

Thinking about buying a ticket having never been, but after reading how pissed off everyone's getting; it's pissing me off and putting me off...

We likely to have the next wave of bands anytime soon?

Sure but there are about five bands to be announced and they're gonna be mostly tiny acts so it won't change things for you.

47 minutes ago, ToffeePopcorn said:

Thinking about buying a ticket having never been, but after reading how pissed off everyone's getting; it's pissing me off and putting me off...

I'd save your money, it's dire for over £200 this year.

1 hour ago, ToffeePopcorn said:

If you like the line up then go dude.

If you don't then don't go its as simple as that.

Yeah pretty gutted hevy is not a thing this year now. Or at all again by the seems of it. Starting to think I'll give DL Saturday a miss now as well.

I suppose that just leaves me with 2000trees, which for 80quid is pretty excellent tbh. Well unless reading pulls something tremendous out of it's arse, which i highly doubt.

What a shit year for uk festivals.