Download 2016

Hart Attack

24 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It's not such an easy decision to say Friday is the weaker day now, Sabbath is all that just edges it. Very poor show from Download this year for the money and a joke of an effort to deal with changes. They should have binned Down instantly and looked to replace as quick.

Sunday is the weakest day imo. Iron Maiden is the only real saving grace for me

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gozpot said:
Just now, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Yeah Sunday is strongest in terms of the bigger acts by quite a bit, Halestorm's last album went top 10 over here and they're fairly low down.

Im not really a fan of Nightwish, Disturbed haven't released anything I really like for a long time now, the big acts aren't that great

1 minute ago, Gozpot said:

Im not really a fan of Nightwish, Disturbed haven't released anything I really like for a long time now, the big acts aren't that great

Nightwish are still an arena band, despite how balls they might be. The big acts might not be great, but they are big. Hard to say that for Saturday, drops off a cliff after Megadeth.

2 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Nightwish are still an arena band, despite how balls they might be. The big acts might not be great, but they are big. Hard to say that for Saturday, drops off a cliff after Megadeth.

They have done one arena....hard to justify being an arena band.

Rival sons must have played maybe 4 out of the last 6 years (sure someone will correct me on that). Copping clearly loves them.

I used to like them, but the lead singer is a bit of s self-indulgent prick, in my opinion.

Best is still the Sunday for me.

Did you see someone who has paid to go Download ask can he ask

1 - why he hasn't replaced Motorhead or Rival Sons

2- where has the money gone from the booking of these acts has it gone into another area of the festival

He replied, 1 - No, 2- None of your business.

Seriously, we are a customer and its none of our business, he must know that there's many people upset by this, he can't understand there's been literally no communication with the CUSTOMERS what exactly is happening with the Motorhead slot apart from Lemmy's hat been put in the slot on the poster and we are in talks over a tribute, more info in a couple weeks, Lemmy died 3 months ago, there's less than that to the actual festival so really you would have thought they would have had some information on this by now, a show in SEPTEMBER is already advertising a Lemmy tribute and saying who is involved. 

The other issue, Rival Sons being bumped up, if he booked them in the 5th slot down in the first place then why all of a sudden does he feel they are big enough for 4th slot, they aren't, they aren't even big enough for 5th in mine and a lot of other people's opinion. BUT Andy doesn't want to know OUR opinion, especially if we have already paid for our ticket, instead anyone who disagrees with him he blocks or says glad you aren't booking the festival. I remember when you used to be able to have a great chat with Andy about things, 2009 he took onboard fans opinions, it REALLY felt like he wanted to put on THE best festival he could for the FANS. But now it feels like hes trying to book what will sell the most with the least outlay.

So I was angry right, like all of you, but then I thought about it.

Im not stupid I know Download has had numerous sponsors pull away from it, in the village they used to have multiple sponsor stages for the punters like Duracell, Monster, VK etc they've all pulled away, well Monster was pushed when they signed the deal with Red Bull, then Red Bull don't want to put a stage on anymore either. I understand they've lost revenue and they need to make back what they can in other areas, especially when fans still want stuff to do in the village so they have to pay for it themselves instead of a sponsor, however, thing is at a festival they have their Pepsi deal to only sell Pepsi not Coke, Lager is branded to Turborg only, Red Bull is the only energy drink so why would these brand pay extra for a stage when there is no other choice anyway, they're already paying in a deal to get their brand onsite, so its not like theres NO money coming in.

But I completely understand that Andy is probably looking at the number of tickets sold, then the cost of say a Limp Bizkit to replace Down, then he's looking at the extra tickets that booking Limp Bizkit to replace Down will sell, then he's thinking nowhere near worth the value. So no replacement is booked. Act gets bumped up, Live Nation saves some money and come the festival everyone will be happy. 

The thing is though he doesn't have to come across so blunt and harsh on twitter, but people have spoken to him like crap on there for a long time, its gotten to him and won't have a conversation with people anymore, but he doesn't go on the official forums either. He's become the face of Download and sadly when people are angry he's also the target of their anger.

Download has become just like the other fests, whereas it used to feel our opinion was valued, now we either like it and go or we don't and stay at home. 

This was always going to happen once Soni was knocked off. Now the choice is go abroad or go Bloodstock and I think a lot of people who go Bloodstock do Download anyway. As long as Download is shifting the tickets nothing will change. But lets not be stupid here, if Download isn't making money it wouldn't be happening, its not a favour to us, its a business to them. So it will be continued to be run as such. This is why there's no Down replacement at first I was pissed about it, but then I thought about it and so I wrote what I did above. 

So, basically, nothings going to change folks and we all just get used to it and if you don't like the line up, don't go. Hell I did the same with V in 2010, that was my last year after years and years of going because it was local to me and they had line ups I liked, they stopped giving me value for my money for my tastes, so I stopped going.

Thats your only choice as a customer, go or don't. Me stop going to V didn't change anything though, it only went in the opposite direction and become even more against my tastes and now I go to Victorious instead. 

17 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Did you see someone who has paid to go Download ask can he ask

1 - why he hasn't replaced Motorhead or Rival Sons

2- where has the money gone from the booking of these acts has it gone into another area of the festival

He replied, 1 - No, 2- None of your business.

Seriously, we are a customer and its none of our business, he must know that there's many people upset by this, he can't understand there's been literally no communication with the CUSTOMERS what exactly is happening with the Motorhead slot apart from Lemmy's hat been put in the slot on the poster and we are in talks over a tribute, more info in a couple weeks, Lemmy died 3 months ago, there's less than that to the actual festival so really you would have thought they would have had some information on this by now, a show in SEPTEMBER is already advertising a Lemmy tribute and saying who is involved. 

The other issue, Rival Sons being bumped up, if he booked them in the 5th slot down in the first place then why all of a sudden does he feel they are big enough for 4th slot, they aren't, they aren't even big enough for 5th in mine and a lot of other people's opinion. BUT Andy doesn't want to know OUR opinion, especially if we have already paid for our ticket, instead anyone who disagrees with him he blocks or says glad you aren't booking the festival. I remember when you used to be able to have a great chat with Andy about things, 2009 he took onboard fans opinions, it REALLY felt like he wanted to put on THE best festival he could for the FANS. But now it feels like hes trying to book what will sell the most with the least outlay.

So I was angry right, like all of you, but then I thought about it.

Im not stupid I know Download has had numerous sponsors pull away from it, in the village they used to have multiple sponsor stages for the punters like Duracell, Monster, VK etc they've all pulled away, well Monster was pushed when they signed the deal with Red Bull, then Red Bull don't want to put a stage on anymore either. I understand they've lost revenue and they need to make back what they can in other areas, especially when fans still want stuff to do in the village so they have to pay for it themselves instead of a sponsor, however, thing is at a festival they have their Pepsi deal to only sell Pepsi not Coke, Lager is branded to Turborg only, Red Bull is the only energy drink so why would these brand pay extra for a stage when there is no other choice anyway, they're already paying in a deal to get their brand onsite, so its not like theres NO money coming in.

But I completely understand that Andy is probably looking at the number of tickets sold, then the cost of say a Limp Bizkit to replace Down, then he's looking at the extra tickets that booking Limp Bizkit to replace Down will sell, then he's thinking nowhere near worth the value. So no replacement is booked. Act gets bumped up, Live Nation saves some money and come the festival everyone will be happy. 

The thing is though he doesn't have to come across so blunt and harsh on twitter, but people have spoken to him like crap on there for a long time, its gotten to him and won't have a conversation with people anymore, but he doesn't go on the official forums either. He's become the face of Download and sadly when people are angry he's also the target of their anger.

Download has become just like the other fests, whereas it used to feel our opinion was valued, now we either like it and go or we don't and stay at home. 

This was always going to happen once Soni was knocked off. Now the choice is go abroad or go Bloodstock and I think a lot of people who go Bloodstock do Download anyway. As long as Download is shifting the tickets nothing will change. But lets not be stupid here, if Download isn't making money it wouldn't be happening, its not a favour to us, its a business to them. So it will be continued to be run as such. This is why there's no Down replacement at first I was pissed about it, but then I thought about it and so I wrote what I did above. 

So, basically, nothings going to change folks and we all just get used to it and if you don't like the line up, don't go. Hell I did the same with V in 2010, that was my last year after years and years of going because it was local to me and they had line ups I liked, they stopped giving me value for my money for my tastes, so I stopped going.

Thats your only choice as a customer, go or don't. Me stop going to V didn't change anything though, it only went in the opposite direction and become even more against my tastes and now I go to Victorious instead. 

It's still a completely bollocks argument though. Luckily the Sunday hasn't been fucked over....still considering whether or not to give that idiot my money though.

When you say it's a business?, you are correct. Being a business though, they have a job to appease the customers and not deliberately fuck them off. It wasn't that great anyway before bands started pulling, certainly not £200+.

But like I say, they've obviously sold what they wanted to consider it a success, with no competition they can continue, they have a core audience of people who want to go to an outdoor rock festival. There's nothing else anywhere near that scale in the UK. 

Bloodstock does metal but not the big, BIG names, Rambling Man is growing and is looking better this year than last and I suspect will continue to grow but it doesn't have anything for the younger crowd. 

Soni was their competition and they got rid. Until something that scale returns no need for them to worry.

Someone on the Download Forums had it spot on. Copping doesn't think he can get away with doing this, he knows he can. The masses have bought tickets for the headliners and couldn't care less for most of the under-card or if Rival Sons have been bumped up etc. Their problem is always going to be years where they don't have massive headliners like this year - you only have to spend 5 minutes on the Download Forums to see just how much people are turning on the festival and especially Copping himself, and they're supposed to be the die hard fans. 

In regards to the point about competition I actually don't think Download needs a direct competitor to end up losing massive amounts of ticket sales. Ramblin' Man doesn't have anything for the younger crowd, but festivals like Hevy, 2000 Trees, Slam Dunk etc do and are consistently putting on great lineups and growing each year, much like Ramblin Man and Bloodstock. These festivals all cater to relatively specific audiences which Download are half-heartedly trying to cater to but ultimately failing due to poor under-cards year in year out. 

A lot of people are getting fed up with Download altogether and have started going to the equivalents abroad too as they're cheaper and offer better value for money. I've seen loads of people start going to Graspop, Rock Am/Im Park and especially Hellfest.

In terms of the Download demographic you look at the Hellfest lineup and it offers far more value than Download. They have way better customer satisfaction to as they actually care - they replaced Down with Puscifier within days. Download goers only knew that Down weren't playing Download because Hellfest announced it - Download left Down on their official posters for a fortnight. Hellfest is so popular now that Download appear to be directly trying to compete with it, with Download France. You look at the Download France lineup and compare it with Hellfest and it's an utter embarrassment. I can't see it being a great success this year but if Live Nation throw money at bands next year and demand exclusives then they'll rob Hellfest of bigger bands which will ultimately only hurt the French punters. 

12 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Copping doesn't think he can get away with doing this, he knows he can.

Not entirely true ....  I know he can have his gonads squeezed until words of apology flow from his gob and tweets are deleted.

Copping isn't the boss.

If anyone wants to pursue a complaint about Copping, it's worth remembering that.

Hello, not sure if there was a better place to post this it can someone please advise whether it is better to stay in Derby or Nottingham for travel to and from the festival and also all over vibe of the town.  Coming from overseas, older fans one with serious health issue so can't camp and looking for the best place to book.

any other tips for some Download (and uk festival) virgins.

2 hours ago, jo9999 said:

Hello, not sure if there was a better place to post this it can someone please advise whether it is better to stay in Derby or Nottingham for travel to and from the festival and also all over vibe of the town.  Coming from overseas, older fans one with serious health issue so can't camp and looking for the best place to book.

any other tips for some Download (and uk festival) virgins.

Nottingham is the better town but it much,much easier getting to and from the Festival from Derby.

There are Skylink airport buses that go from both Nottingham and Derby city centres (and, I think, Leicester) and stop outside of Donington Park.  Not sure about the Derby buses, but the Nottingham ones run 24 hours a day, every 20 mins in the daytime, a couple of times an hour during the evening, and, I think, every hour at night.  Download's own shuttle buses, however, run from Derby station.

Depending on what you are looking for in the place that you stay, Nottingham is probably livelier, and has a greater choice of bars/places to stay, Derby, however, has some nice hotels (The Hallmark is right next to the station, but may be a little pricey during Download, if you are okay with walking, Jurys Inn is, maybe 20 mins walk from the station and I'd recommend it from personal experience) and, in my opinion, a much better selection of good, reasonably priced small restaurants.

Oh, I nearly forgot - a new Premier Inn has just opened up in Derby that is within walking distance of the station.