Download 2016

Hart Attack

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

That'll be about 20 bands less than last year.

Was just about to post this. It works out about 25 less over the four stages. Maybe they are looking to do more staggering throughout the day as suggested? Or just the longer sets. It's gonna be a weird year this year.

If only 20 slots left to announce I'm guessing not much more for the big stages:

Maybe one more Sunday and two for Friday on Main.
With Second I reckon three more Friday and three more Saturday.
Third stage three more Friday, one more Saturday, one more Sunday.
Then that'd leave seven more for fourth so maybe three more Friday, one for Saturday and three for Sunday.

Edited by SOAD

5 minutes ago, SOAD said:

Was just about to post this. It works out about 25 less over the four stages. Maybe they are looking to do more staggering throughout the day as suggested? Or just the longer sets. It's gonna be a weird year this year.

If only 20 slots left to announce I'm guessing not much more for the big stages:

Maybe one more Sunday and two for Friday on Main.
With Second I reckon three more Friday and three more Saturday.
Third stage three more Friday, one more Saturday, one more Sunday.
Then that'd leave seven more for fourth so maybe three more Friday, one for Saturday and three for Sunday.

Sounds like top 3 of main at least are being staggered with leaving time to get from the bottom to the top and back. The idea works in theory but practicality it'll probably failed as there will be so many more than normal heading both ways and it's a shit getting round all the armchair fans half the time as it is. I did think 2nd stage Sunday was basically done though. I'm all for a clashless Billy T, Nightwish, Disturbed, Jane's A, Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin, although those last two with probably clash.

32 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

They made it very clear there'd be a lot less bands. This isn't a shock.

The surprising thing to me is that it seems like the 4th stage is gonna be the one which loses about a third of it's bill which would make up most of the reduced bands. And if anything I thought it'd be the bigger stages losing bands to give the bigger acts longer sets.

2 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

They made it very clear there'd be a lot less bands. This isn't a shock.

Actually I would completely disagree with this.

Who is THEY?

Andy Copping who is the booker of Download on his personal twitter said im pretty sure only once or twice that he's planning on booking less bands this year and looking at longer sets.

Not the official download twitter, nothing on the website, nothing on the forums, at least not clearly marked and posted as an official post, nothing sent out via email mailing list.

If you were a regular Download goer but didn't follow what Andy Copping posts, id image you would be none the wiser.

It's not as if there's a link to his twitter account on the official Download website. 

Not that this is only a Download thing, Over the past few years V have dropped 3 entire stage and failed to communicate this. 

Fests just always looking how they can spend less and charge more. 

1 hour ago, luckysalt said:

Fests just always looking how they can spend less and charge more. 

That isn't necessarily the case though as if they gives acts longer times then I'd think they cost more (I don't know this for defo btw), and less acts and staggered means being able to catch more high bands which makes it more your money's worth.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

That isn't necessarily the case though as if they gives acts longer times then I'd think they cost more (I don't know this for defo btw), and less acts and staggered means being able to catch more high bands which makes it more your money's worth.

Don't see why bands would charge more for a longer set. I'd think it's something that they would want. I mean plenty of bands request it for festivals. Ultimately whatever length set they give they have the exact same expenses. Only time expenses would differ is if they up the production for a higher slot.

Edited by SOAD

29 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Nofx / Pennywise is a nasty clash!

Still lots to be added to Friday, I'd have thought.

They may not clash, if the second stage headliners aren't clashing with the mainstage headliners Nofx will likely be playing earlier. 

It does seem odd that Nofx, Pennywise & to a lesser extent Municipal Waste would all clash given that they're likely to share a fan base. 

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He has signalled that Saxon and Maiden won't clash either and that's 1st vs 3rd. Probably best just to ask him on the tweets.

Aye, I think 3rd headliner clashes just depend on whoelse is on. Pennywise and NOFX confirmed as staggered. All Time Low are overlapping Rammstein a bit apparently as well on the 2nd vs 1st thing.