Download 2016

Hart Attack

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Download goes, I've got a list. Clashes already seem pretty obvious for some of these, but f**k it.

Really Want to See: Rammstein, Korn, Killswitch Engage, Skillet, Black Sabbath, Deftones, Architects, Down, Skindred, Nightwish, Billy Talent, Ghost, Gojira, Shinedown

Will See if None of the Above are on: The Amity Affliction, Twin Atlantic, Megadeth, Atreyu, Down, Breaking Benjamin, Don Broco, Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes, Halestorm

Interested in: Beartooth, Motorhead, Neck Deep, Delain, Tremonti

That's not including the bands that I haven't heard yet, but obviously there's a LOT there to see. The only band I know and won't give a chance to unless I absolutely have to is Disturbed.

21 minutes ago, dip said:

Doubt Architects will clash with Deftones, they were set to support them at Wembley

Given last time 2nd stage overlapped with Sabbath by half hour, I see similar at the max happening and agree that a Deftones/Architects clash isn't likely. On;y way I see it all fitting it is, Architects 3rd opposite most of Megadeth, Down as a potential header for 2nd and Skindred playing below them. Bar that Skindred/Architects still in those places and Down taking main stage 4th again but it would be their 3rd time of doing that slot over two of the days.

1 hour ago, DomDom1984 said:

See, when I seen Down I thought it'd be a similar main stage slot. And I think they've kept the 2nd stage headers out of that announcement. Nothing other than a feeling on that one.

I feel the same way. There's a few you could see doing it but nobody really jumps out as 2nd stage headliners - even KSE who I said earlier would make more sense 4th down main that day and also they probably wouldn't bother announcing just the one.

Also with Down, I think there's just no way they'd go up against Sabbath at any festival. You can hear so much of Black Sabbath in their music that I can't imagine they'd gather a decent crowd of people who'd rather see them than one of the last Sabbath shows. Perhaps if they don't clash but I still think there'd be that many at main getting a good spot to leave Down fairly unattended.

5 minutes ago, metalicbear said:

Whitesnake announced as first headliner.

12308340_10153303775247081_2366728284865

I'm not over the moon but neither am I upset. I'd watch a few of them at Download so so far so good. I have actually never seen Whitesnake so that will be one off my list.

In terms of placement, I see Download looking like this at the moment -

Rammstein - Korn -  Motorhead - Killswitch Engage

Twin Atlantic

Gutterdamerung

Black Sabbath - Deftones - Megadeth - Down - Skindred - Rival Sons - ??? - Neck Deep - Beartooth

Bullet For My Valentine??? - Architects - Atreyu

Iron Maiden - Nightwish - Disturbed - Halestorm - Billy Talent - Tremonti - Breaking Benjamin - Don Broco - ???

Shinedown - Ghost - Gojira - Delain

Saxon

5 minutes ago, metalicbear said:

In terms of placement, I see Download looking like this at the moment -

Rammstein - Korn -  Motorhead - Killswitch Engage

Twin Atlantic

Gutterdamerung

Black Sabbath - Deftones - Megadeth - Down - Skindred - Rival Sons - ??? - Neck Deep - Beartooth

Bullet For My Valentine??? - Architects - Atreyu

Iron Maiden - Nightwish - Disturbed - Halestorm - Billy Talent - Tremonti - Breaking Benjamin - Don Broco - ???

Shinedown - Ghost - Gojira - Delain

Saxon

TA I doubt would head it, I can see subbing it but they won't take a decent crowd from Rammstein at all. I agree that KSE and Down as 4th again is more likely, not sure why I should be surprised at those bookings. Tremonti surely won't be 6th main stage?, it's identical to last year.

Your Sunday is off, BT did 4th main last time and while they haven't grown, they haven't decreased, provided Halestorm are on main I think they will switch places. Don Broco I don't think will be that low, but I do struggle to see if Shinedon are 2nd stage how they aren't heading it if there is no Maiden clash, if they allow a clash then sub yes but moving up one place on the same day/stage seems silly.

Interesting few things from Andy Coppings recent podcast.

As expected, Iron Maiden will only have 3rd and 4th stage clashing so when predicting your 2nd stage header, it will virtually the same as Shikari was so I wouldn't look at an act that would play lower than 4th on the main stage heading that. There was no mention of Sabbath and Rammstein and considering both played with part crossover, Rammstein 15 mins more so than Sabbath did last time then I can't see there being the issue this time or I would imagine than he'd have said also on this point that it'll only be 3rd/4th alternatives to all main stage headers.

Also, 2016 will see in introduction of main, 2nd and possibly 3rd at least at the top of the bill staggering bands so in one sense the festival will be booking less bands but people will be able to see the acts that cost the ticket buyer the most money and this also meaning longer sets for some bands.

There was also talk of bands on the cusp of the headline point which featured names such as BMTH and Alterbridge to name two of them and talk of there being bands than are one big album away from making it or similarly one away from ruining their chances of it.

He also mentioned that Rammstein came back to him and said they would be touring after a band had pulled out of headlining just two days before. PJ don't sound like they really want to play it, he wouldn't rule out Nickelback but I got the feeling he doesn't thing it's ever something he's likely to do and that if he did the other two headers would have to be that strong and massive to counteract them. He said he's had Van Halen booked twice but they decided no, so he's actually not denied as the conversation got onto the Vodafone leak that they were booked but it fell through now, although I think we all knew that was him being pissed off they'd pulled and he's have rather not have it leak when it didn't need to be.

He has also confirmed a couple of pop punk names are coming up next and with the talk of Rancid recently I'm not as sure as some about them as Andy's reaction and the way he talked wasn't really hyping it up as you would expect for the rarity of someone like them, it was more a case of him saying yup we want to look at this area/genre of band to work/broaden with so you'll see some of those names. I actually think myself that if any fest can grab Rancid as a major festival next year it would be R&L, unless of course their Europe touring structure is just around middle of summer.

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Interesting few things from Andy Coppings recent podcast.

As expected, Iron Maiden will only have 3rd and 4th stage clashing so when predicting your 2nd stage header, it will virtually the same as Shikari was so I wouldn't look at an act that would play lower than 4th on the main stage heading that. There was no mention of Sabbath and Rammstein and considering both played with part crossover, Rammstein 15 mins more so than Sabbath did last time then I can't see there being the issue this time or I would imagine than he'd have said also on this point that it'll only be 3rd/4th alternatives to all main stage headers.

Also, 2016 will see in introduction of main, 2nd and possibly 3rd at least at the top of the bill staggering bands so in one sense the festival will be booking less bands but people will be able to see the acts that cost the ticket buyer the most money and this also meaning longer sets for some bands.

There was also talk of bands on the cusp of the headline point which featured names such as BMTH and Alterbridge to name two of them and talk of there being bands than are one big album away from making it or similarly one away from ruining their chances of it.

He also mentioned that Rammstein came back to him and said they would be touring after a band had pulled out of headlining just two days before. PJ don't sound like they really want to play it, he wouldn't rule out Nickelback but I got the feeling he doesn't thing it's ever something he's likely to do and that if he did the other two headers would have to be that strong and massive to counteract them. He said he's had Van Halen booked twice but they decided no, so he's actually not denied as the conversation got onto the Vodafone leak that they were booked but it fell through now, although I think we all knew that was him being pissed off they'd pulled and he's have rather not have it leak when it didn't need to be.

He has also confirmed a couple of pop punk names are coming up next and with the talk of Rancid recently I'm not as sure as some about them as Andy's reaction and the way he talked wasn't really hyping it up as you would expect for the rarity of someone like them, it was more a case of him saying yup we want to look at this area/genre of band to work/broaden with so you'll see some of those names. I actually think myself that if any fest can grab Rancid as a major festival next year it would be R&L, unless of course their Europe touring structure is just around middle of summer.

But the thing is that Saxon have confirmed that they're headlining the 3rd and they're not clashing with Maiden (I think I have got that right)

Will be interesting to see what Pop Punk bands Download gets but I can't see them getting that many and R&L still getting more in general

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

Because i'd never heard of nightwish I had a look last night at the wacken show. For me it's utter bollox. No idea why stuff like that is subbing a main stage.  Will people actually watch them ?

That hill will be shit to walk up and back down when someone is setting up, it's shit doing that when they aren't but I feel deep down there is something there where if main stage sub goes on before 2nd stage header then it doesn't look that bad with Korn and NW subbing. It could work but that side of it for me is covering the cracks a bit but I do think there was some decent output.

4 hours ago, justanothername said:

But the thing is that Saxon have confirmed that they're headlining the 3rd and they're not clashing with Maiden (I think I have got that right)

Will be interesting to see what Pop Punk bands Download gets but I can't see them getting that many and R&L still getting more in general

I'm unsure if they said no clashing with Maiden but heading 3rd I'm aware of. I don't see it being more than another 2/3 max but I didn't hear enough in the way he said it to expect it to be something ground breaking. Not really pop punk but with mention of Papa Roach from Kerrang, I'm not sure exactly when they would fit in now? 2nd subs subs are defo gone I reckon so it's either heading 2nd or 5th down

Sometimes it's really funny to me how much some bands are different in size in UK compared to the rest of Europe. There are some guys who never heard of Nightwish and they are playing arenas like last 10 years here. Also Biffy Clyro, they are headliners in UK last 5 years at least and they are still playing 3rd or 4th down on most of festivals in Europe 

Rammstein / KoRn / Motörhead / Papa Roach / Twin Atlantic / Crossfaith / Marmozets / Northlane 

Bullet For My Valentine / Killswitch Engage / Asking Alexandria 

Gutterdammarung

Black Sabbath / Deftones / Megadeth / Down / While She Sleeps / Atreyu / Rival Sons / Beartooth 

Parkway Drive / Skindred / Architects 

Sum 41

Iron Maiden / Nightwish / Disturbed / Halestorm / Ghost / Tremonti / Sixx:A.M. / Evil Scarecrow

Volbeat / Billy Talent / Don Broco 

Saxon