Download 2016

Hart Attack

1 hour ago, Moey said:

It's the context of the booking. I think their set in '13 was widely regarded one of, if not 'the', best headline shows at DL. Therefore, wouldn't they be rated in the top 5 of bands that DL could book? 

I don't disagree with any of that. I said they're not one of the 5 biggest bands Download could book. That's a different thing to top 5 bands. I agree they're probably in the top 5 bands they could have booked.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has everyone finished squabbling over line ups and biggest bands now? Are all toys safely back in the pram for round 2?

As a first time Download attendee next year, I for one am glad the same bands are playing as I've never seen them. I can see how regular attendees get frustrated, especially as it is not the biggest festival around. Hence why I tend to go to IoW or, dare is say it, Glastonbury (*hides from backlash*) .

As a fan of rock music (and let's be fair, Download is a rock festival that seems to favour metal bands on the bigger stages) Sabbath and Maiden are two bands I've wanted to see for years but never got round to. I've heard Rammstein's shows are incredible, even though their music may not be!

Who else will be worth seeing, baring in mind I am not a massive fan of metal?

On 15 November 2015 at 13:42:36, lightning1000 said:

Basically it comes down to this, if you've been going to download for the last 5 years you've seen it all already. 

If you've been going to festivals in general for over 15 years you've seen these bands so many times that you have no interest in seeing a shadow of what these bands used to be (rammstein and deftones excluded) 

I'm waiting for the 2nd stage to be announced before I cancel my deposit scheme, but I'll be doing werchter and slam dunk so will probably see most of the acts that would interest me on the bill anyway 

Funnily enough, I think it affects the people who started going in the last few years more as they have played recently but the longer I've been going the less the repeat headliners bother me.Personally,when I look at it in the context of the total times theyve played Download In the last 10 years I don't find it too bad.

Maiden three times in 10 years, Rammstein twice in 10 years and Sabbath twice in 10 years.

If you add the two times I saw Maiden when it was Monsters of Rock then it would be 5 times in 27 years that Maiden have played Donnington, Rammstein and Sabbath didn't play Monsters of Rock the times I went.

To be honest with you, they would need to play a lot more often than that for me to get fed up with them.

Rammstein are definitely one of the top bands a band like Download can book.

23 hours ago, nufcdwigo said:

Has everyone finished squabbling over line ups and biggest bands now? Are all toys safely back in the pram for round 2?

As a first time Download attendee next year, I for one am glad the same bands are playing as I've never seen them. I can see how regular attendees get frustrated, especially as it is not the biggest festival around. Hence why I tend to go to IoW or, dare is say it, Glastonbury (*hides from backlash*) .

As a fan of rock music (and let's be fair, Download is a rock festival that seems to favour metal bands on the bigger stages) Sabbath and Maiden are two bands I've wanted to see for years but never got round to. I've heard Rammstein's shows are incredible, even though their music may not be!

Who else will be worth seeing, baring in mind I am not a massive fan of metal?

Aye, let's just close down discussion forums while we're at it.

Huh, after every DL announcement since the Sabbath/Soundgarden pairing a few years ago making me think "same old same old", including all of the ones so far for next year, I've looked at the lineup and thought "wow, that's actually really strong".

Vaguely tempted to go now. I'll see what my mates are up to. Also depends if Tool make it across the atlantic.

Nowt imaginative, but that's the hard rock/metal scene in general atm.

11 hours ago, cragzy said:

I can see all time low, volbeat headline the second stage but I can't think of anyone else to headline the second stage

Well, what about Hollywood Vampires? they playing Rock in Rio Lisbon

Edited by pete76

10 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

A silent movie headlining the 3rd stage on Friday. I'm not gonna attempt to type it's name but you know the one.

Excuse my ignorance, but who the hell are they?? I've seen the announcement, but still none the wiser.

Worth a listen??