Download 2016

Hart Attack

As a neutral here I'd say you definitely look like you're spitting your dummy out more than lightning. Are people not allowed to dislike a lineup?

I've seen you complain a lot about the way TITP has gone. How's that any different from complaining about the DL lineup, other than the fact you like the DL lineup and are getting oddly defensive about it.

It is the same tired old bands, even though some of them are good. There may not be any other options for DL, but that doesn't change that fact.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, devilman said:

I'm not being pissy. It's you spitting out your dummy about the line up. Don't like it don't go. Coming here and crying just makes you look a bit daft. Especially as most of the festivals in Europe have very similar line ups this year.

I guess its hard to tell how I'm really feeling through a forum then. going to download isn't the highlight of my year, I'm not bothered about missing it, the only reason I posted is because people keep saying things like how can anyone complain about this line up, I don't understand? 

So I gave the reason why I personally have a problem with it, anyway I've got better things to do than argue with someone about a festival line up, 

edited for appalling spelling

Edited by lightning1000

Fair dos. This year we have 3 of the 5 biggest bands in the world just now. What is the festival supposed to do? They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The fact you don't like it is more about you than the festival.

My grief with T was that it changed direction without notice and when the festival faithful had already bought their early birds. It went from a balanced and varied line up to serving up pop shite and DJs with no real alternative. This happened in one year. They removed 4 stages with no warning and charged the same price. They stopped booking big acts from varied genres and just recycled a few safe pop friendly acts. It was a truly great thing, I live in hope that they'll revisit the formula that made it so popular but I can't see it happening any time soon. At least with Download you know what you are getting and whether you like the headliners or not, you can't accuse them of not splashing out. There has been a new headliner most years too. I can understand people getting pissed off with the festival, their money grabbing ways, the walking distances, the lack of facilities and their reluctance to act on feedback and put things right. But, in this genre, small as it is, complaining about repetition in the line up is pointless. It is what it is and it's the same at all rock/metal festivals.

Download IS the highlight of my year. Not because of the line up however, but because it's the opportunity for me and my rock friends to let our hair down for 5 days. It's one of 6 festivals for me next year so I shouldn't care about missing it but I would. I really would.

21 minutes ago, devilman said:

Fair dos. This year we have 3 of the 5 biggest bands in the world just now. What is the festival supposed to do? They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The fact you don't like it is more about you than the festival.

I don't think there's anything else they can do, especially whilst trying to keep Soni dead. But I don't think people (except Gazza, obviously) was really criticising them for it; more just stating that that's the reason they won't go.

For me, it's a decent top 9 as far as Download goes. There are 4 bands I'd see, 3 of which I'd love to see (Rammstein, Sabbath and Deftones), however I've seen all three in the last 2 years without even attending Download, so I won't be getting a ticket (not that I ever expect to until Tool headline).

The thing is about people saying oh in such and such a year the same bands were on the bill, these bands do cycles, so in 3 years time it probably will be the same bands again. Its just how it works. The surprising thing is how people still get surprised by this and moan about it.

Copping will buck the trend if he sees there's a big band available who hasn't played but sometimes those bands don't want to play Download, Pearl Jam for example. Im not sure what the situation is with RHCP, they probably don't want to, hence why they didn't do Sonisphere the other year but rather their own show there, I don't think Andy would have bumped any of this years three for them however as they are still a risky booking as people remember them being shit last time they headlined Reading.

Thing is with acts like Korn, you always get a great performance from them, they are always a solid booking and will always be booked and have such a great relationship with Andy and Live Nation.

Then you have bands like Slayer who have the opposite and don't want to work with Andy. It works both ways

Then of course you have acts who see Download as a Metal festival, which Andy is desperate to change to Rock festival but acts and punters still think its metal and they dont want to play or go to the fest.

For me as ive said before, its my favourite genre of music, maybe its my age but I cant get enough of acts like the headliners or Deftones, Korn and Disturbed, Id be happy with them [the undercard ive mentioned] most years as long as they switch around the bill in terms of stages. 

V books the same pop acts ever year but if its your thing I bet you're happy with it. 

Depends what you're into I guess. I think some people on here aren't big rock fans but like to talk a lot, so just say any old shit. Im the same as Devilman, if its your kind of music you will always be happy with what Download dishes up as you'll find something to watch. This year I watched Crobot on 4th during a bit of a patch on other stages I wasn't interested in, they were amazing and will skyrocket up the bill. If you aren't happy with the outlay of money for what you think you will get then Download obviously isn't for you, I think people are only talking so much about them not liking it because the other fests haven't announced yet. 

12 hours ago, devilman said:

Fair dos. This year we have 3 of the 5 biggest bands in the world just now. What is the festival supposed to do? They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

That's a very debateable point. I would argue that there's a lot of bands bigger than Rammstein.

They're not damned if they do, these bookings are just boring to people who go to festivals every year. I think the word which has been used a lot is Lazy when describing these bookings.

10 hours ago, luckysalt said:

The thing is about people saying oh in such and such a year the same bands were on the bill, these bands do cycles, so in 3 years time it probably will be the same bands again. Its just how it works. The surprising thing is how people still get surprised by this and moan about it.

Then of course you have acts who see Download as a Metal festival, which Andy is desperate to change to Rock festival but acts and punters still think its metal and they dont want to play or go to the fest.

Quite far from the truth. People aren't surprised by these bands, that's the problem. There's nothing in there that makes people go Wow! instead they're saying that the booking are boring and lazy. People are moaning because they're sick of being fed the same bands every 2-3 years with very little alternative. It's why more and more people are going to festivals like Hellfest and little boutique festivals like Slam Dunk instead.

AC isn't exactly trying hard to change peoples perceptions of it being a Metal festival now is he. 9 bands announced, all 9 are Metal bands. Why is it that bands such as Biffy Clyro are willing to headline Sonisphere, but not Download.

9 minutes ago, metalicbear said:

Quite far from the truth. People aren't surprised by these bands, that's the problem. There's nothing in there that makes people go Wow! instead they're saying that the booking are boring and lazy. People are moaning because they're sick of being fed the same bands every 2-3 years with very little alternative. It's why more and more people are going to festivals like Hellfest and little boutique festivals like Slam Dunk instead.

AC isn't exactly trying hard to change peoples perceptions of it being a Metal festival now is he. 9 bands announced, all 9 are Metal bands. Why is it that bands such as Biffy Clyro are willing to headline Sonisphere, but not Download.

The same bands are playing Hellfest every few years as well. Let's not pretend it's just Download that's in a rut; it's the whole rock/metal festival scene.

Also Biffy Clyro played Download the year after they headlined Sonisphere so I don't see your point on that one.

Soni fanbois come out and pretend their festival is different. Biffy have played Download more than everybody bar 2 bands I think. It's a stupid argument that defeats itself. If people are tired of seeing bands because they go to festivals every year then the answer to that  is simple. Going to a foreign country to watch the SAME bands doesn't all of a sudden wipe your memories of them. How is Soni getting on by the way? Is it still a handful of deluded hopefuls tracking teh director's every move to plan when he might disappoint them yet again with a "no fest this year" announcement?

18 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

As a neutral here I'd say you definitely look like you're spitting your dummy out more than lightning. Are people not allowed to dislike a lineup?

I've seen you complain a lot about the way TITP has gone. How's that any different from complaining about the DL lineup, other than the fact you like the DL lineup and are getting oddly defensive about it.

It is the same tired old bands, even though some of them are good. There may not be any other options for DL, but that doesn't change that fact.

Because Download is his baby now, they can't do anything wrong. They could book Slipknot, Maiden etc etc every year to headline and he's still be below Coppings waist line on here about it.

16 hours ago, devilman said:

Fair dos. This year we have 3 of the 5 biggest bands in the world just now.

Just shut up! LOL. Talking out of your arsehole, 3 of the biggest bands in the world? They are apart of the least biggest selling genre out there, iconic you could have used but if they were what you said then bar Sabbath they would probably be playing multiple stadium dates instead.

4 hours ago, metalicbear said:

That's a very debateable point. I would argue that there's a lot of bands bigger than Rammstein.

They're not damned if they do, these bookings are just boring to people who go to festivals every year. I think the word which has been used a lot is Lazy when describing these bookings.

It's not debateable at all. If Metallica was one of them it could be used, comfortably bigger than all 3 of the headers regardless of whether they would say Sabbath paved the way for them or not.

Not booking of tbose headers doesn't mean that undercard bands won't play. At least if they have to book the same headers agaib, Sabbath I understand then at least they could mix the other bands below up.

Just spotted Limp Bizkit have announce a European festival date. All the way in August though, when they were around last year. Suppose they could still pop up early in summer and stick around if they have a new album. Would BOA punters kick off if they were announced? :lol:

I'm not endorsing Limp Bizkit or anything, it's just time we moved on from this argument.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Would BOA punters kick off if they were announced? :lol:

I'm not endorsing Limp Bizkit or anything, it's just time we moved on from this argument.

Well they're not going to do R/L again surely.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Did somebody just claim Rammstein are one of the 5 biggest bands in the world?

I did say that. I was meaning within the genre of bands that Download could book but I accept it is subjective at best and probably wrong. :)

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Just spotted Limp Bizkit have announce a European festival date. All the way in August though, when they were around last year. Suppose they could still pop up early in summer and stick around if they have a new album. Would BOA punters kick off if they were announced? :lol:

Have they? what festival is that? haven't seen anything.

33 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I've saved this thread so I can just copy and paste the last 10 pages when Metallica get announced next year.

Now that is one you can use. Devilman probably has as well so he can post it in 12 months and actually post something correct without digging and jumping in.

5 hours ago, devilman said:

I did say that. I was meaning within the genre of bands that Download could book but I accept it is subjective at best and probably wrong. :)

Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, AC/DC, Muse?

Although after that I'm not sure. Hard to judge how big Rammstein are, really, seeing as who the fuck in the real world listens to Rammstein? They may be bigger amongst DL attendees than Muse, I guess.

I'm guessing that you weren't there on the Sunday in 2013. 

Without doubt one of the best live shows I've ever seen. That's why I think it's a great booking. Personally I couldn't care less about maiden or Sabbath. But rammstein? Fuck yeah, I'll have some more of that.

9 minutes ago, Moey said:

I'm guessing that you weren't there on the Sunday in 2013. 

Without doubt one of the best live shows I've ever seen. That's why I think it's a great booking. Personally I couldn't care less about maiden or Sabbath. But rammstein? Fuck yeah, I'll have some more of that.

Huh? I saw Rammstein at Werchter in 2013. They were incredible; there's nothing wrong with it as a booking. What's that got to do with them being one of the biggest 5 bands DL can book?

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Huh? I saw Rammstein at Werchter in 2013. They were incredible; there's nothing wrong with it as a booking. What's that got to do with them being one of the biggest 5 bands DL can book?

It's the context of the booking. I think their set in '13 was widely regarded one of, if not 'the', best headline shows at DL. Therefore, wouldn't they be rated in the top 5 of bands that DL could book? 

DL have booked 3 of the top 5 bands requested. Rammstein are the one that everybody seems to be looking forward to the most. The are THE festival headliners as far as I am concerned. I just hope they get close to 2013 as that was by a country mile the best headline set that I have ever seen.