Download 2016

Hart Attack

On 03/11/2015 05:38:20, t8yman said:

of course they will. they headlined reading and leeds. and they deserve to. great band, with metal credentials that would put many of the crowd to shame. they were the hardest working band in the country on their way up. I'm not as in love with them as I was on the first few albums, but I would never deny them their success.

R&L is not download , i don't believe biffy have the cross over power to headline both festivals like muse or the prodigy could. i've seen biffy a handful of times and thought they were plain average and could even say boring/mood killers in 2012. only highlight i can take from them was at soni 2011 when they played the intro to raining blood before there's no such thing as a jaggy snake.

again this is just my opinion, i don't claim it to be correct and in all honesty would love to see a scottish band headline download and rock it.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems people aren't overly fond of the lineup but I'm going to be positive and say I'm pretty damn happy so far.

Rammstein - Pretty flawless headliner
KoRn - Bit odd as a sub but will get a huge crowd and do a great performance. A great band and despite doing Download a lot it's not like they tour the UK that much really. I've only seen them three times since and including 2008.
Motorhead - Wish Lemmy had taken a year out for his health and I won't be watching as don't like them outdoors.
Black Sabbath - Decent performance last time and it's one of the last chances to see them so good booking.
Deftones - funny how Copping said they couldn't sub main anymore but great booking for me. One of my fave bands.
Megadeth - Very solid. They can either be brilliant or just ok. Of course hoping for the former.
Iron Maiden - bit odd to have them and Rammstein again but they were great the two times I saw them in 2014. Not an ideal headliner for me but will happily watch if nothing else on.
Nightwish - Definately gotten bigger but bit surprised at sub. But they will bring an awesome stage production and they were incredible last time they played. Preffered the last singer but watching the Wacken videos the new one is pretty great.
Disturbed - Don't really care but been a while since they were last booked. Won't be unhappy if nothing else on at same time.

Edited by SOAD

1 hour ago, lightning1000 said:

Ozzy was awful last time sabbath played and I'm guessing he hasn't got any better since.

The fact that he said they're too old to record a new album says a lot for me. It's purely just a payday, they were very good on their own tour. Ioomi was in such good form too. If you saw them in 2012 though you've seen them.

Been away on holiday for two weeks and Download does another anouncement eh? 

See some people happy, some not, some people slag it off and I dont think they even ever go. 

For me when I saw the Hellfest/Rock AM Ring announcements I picked out Korn, Deftones and Disturbed as three bands I would take from there in the big spots so im happy with that, I understand however how some people do not like the announcement, Korn play a lot and the problem is when you drop a band down the bill its hard to raise them up again without some sort of mainstream success. But they still perform to a very high standard. Deftones have maintained their spot, where they played at Reading has no influence IMO. They are no weaker than when they subbed when they last played in 2010, thats six years ago, they are a good booking when you look at the length of time its been. Disturbed havent played for 5 years, and released a new well received album, their spot is fine to me.

Motorhead and Megadeth again in a third on main stage on the bill is awful bookings for me, I like the bands but they play too often and the same place on the bill, Korn at least have moved around the bill, gone on second stage for example, they haven't played a sub spot on main for 7 years. Next it will be Down playing 4th on main. Just put them lower down the bill or on a different stage. 

Onto Nightwish, I agree, I cant see them as a sub on main stage at download, 

Id have gone all out and gotten Alice Cooper

And mixed it around as such

RAMMSTEIN

Korn

Disturbed

Killswitch Engage

Down

SABBATH

Cooper

Megadeth

Motorhead

Ghost

Anthrax

MAIDEN

Deftones

Nightwish

Volbeat

Trivium

Edited by luckysalt

7 hours ago, cornucopia said:

How the fuck people can complain about the lineup so far is beyond me. It's worth the ticket money already.

Because Sabbath day is virtually the same as last time they played, and Korn/Nightwish are not subs. Motorhead is the most generic booking of I can't be arsed to look for anyone else there is.

The likes of V/T may rotate their headers every 2/3 years in some cases, but Download just rotate their while lineup, put the price up and in the long run you are paying more for just the same thing you did last time.

Bearing in mind that not everyone will buy an early bird ticket and this year a lot have been put off. Sabbath isn't really a major coup.

Edited by thewayiam

We can talk all day about lack of imagination and repeat bands but the simple fact is that Sabbath, Rammstein and Maiden sell anything between 10,000-20,000 more tickets than the likes of SOAD, Avenged Sevenfold and Linkin Park.

Will Metallica and Slipknot be there again next year or the year after? Yes, almost certainly.Simply because they want to shift tickets.

Unless Download want to downsize so they can have different headliners, expect to have the same conversation every year.

1 hour ago, Red Day said:

Aye sabbath are no major coup, what have they ever done for rock/metal. Be plenty time to see them on future tours eh ???

Not really the point is it and it's well known that they're planning on ending their tour in Birmingham, so that suggests they are considering a tour after festivals.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Because Sabbath day is virtually the same as last time they played, and Korn/Nightwish are not subs. Motorhead is the most generic booking of I can't be arsed to look for anyone else there is.

The likes of V/T may rotate their headers every 2/3 years in some cases, but Download just rotate their while lineup, put the price up and in the long run you are paying more for just the same thing you did last time.

Bearing in mind that not everyone will buy an early bird ticket and this year a lot have been put off. Sabbath isn't really a major coup.

You forgot to mention that the duo of Rammstein and Maiden last headlined Download together 3 years ago and not a single band on the lineup hasn't played before.

What also needs to be taken into consideration is the fact that Download need to get the big hitters in to keep Sonisphere at bay.

You can guarantee that if Download didn't book Maiden, Rammstein and Sabbath then Sonisphere most certainly would(bizarrely, people would be praising the Sonisphere line-up and tickets would be snapped up)

Its no coincidence that the one time Soniphere has managed to put on a festival in the last few years the headliners were Prodigy, Metallica and Maiden.

Whingers gonna whinge. So far we've got 3 bands for each day and yet the days are being toted as exactly the same as before. What a load of bollox. This will be a record year at Download. Tickets in some categories have sold out in record time. If you don't like the bands so far I'd say you are in a minority and will be very lonely whining from home whilst the rest of us are having an awesome time. To suggest that V/T line ups are more imaginative is laughable, but if that's what you like you are on the wrong forum. Enjoy getting showered in ned piss whilst Calvin presses the play button in fantastic style.

Basically it comes down to this, if you've been going to download for the last 5 years you've seen it all already. 

If you've been going to festivals in general for over 15 years you've seen these bands so many times that you have no interest in seeing a shadow of what these bands used to be (rammstein and deftones excluded) 

I'm waiting for the 2nd stage to be announced before I cancel my deposit scheme, but I'll be doing werchter and slam dunk so will probably see most of the acts that would interest me on the bill anyway 

1 hour ago, Black_Crow said:

You forgot to mention that the duo of Rammstein and Maiden last headlined Download together 3 years ago and not a single band on the lineup hasn't played before.

You're correct I did, those two back together is bad. No point in coming put with stuff like its only 9 banda announced like the rest of the lineup will be imaginative. Down, Trivium etc to come, usual repeats.

4 hours ago, lightning1000 said:

Basically it comes down to this, if you've been going to download for the last 5 years you've seen it all already. 

If you've been going to festivals in general for over 15 years you've seen these bands so many times that you have no interest in seeing a shadow of what these bands used to be (rammstein and deftones excluded) 

I'm waiting for the 2nd stage to be announced before I cancel my deposit scheme, but I'll be doing werchter and slam dunk so will probably see most of the acts that would interest me on the bill anyway 

There seems to be some kind of weird entitlement expectation going on here. Do you really think that somehow there are new headline standard bands sitting waiting to get wheeled out for your enjoyment? There isn't. To get there they have to play lots over a decade or more. All the festivals that cover the genre you like will have the same bands on cyclic repeat. I'm looking at going to 2 festivals in the states next year, they'll pretty much have the same bands that Download does. Werchter has a wider coverage but has pretty much the same core of bands you'll find on a Leeds/Reading line up. It's on my radar and has been for a while. Not as a Download replacement, but as a July festival to replace the piece of shit that T has become. Festivals book the bands that their punters will pay to see. If your tastes have changed then that festival isn't for you anymore. Go find something else. I've never seen Deftones at Download, never seen Down or Trivium at all. If they are up against good popular bands this year that will likely remain the same. This will be my 7th Download. Given the choice between sitting at home and preaching to anyone who will listen that X band isn't as good as they used to be, or actually going out and seeing live music, I'll be there enjoying what they've got left. You're a long time dead but also, so is the music industry. 

58 minutes ago, devilman said:

There seems to be some kind of weird entitlement expectation going on here. Do you really think that somehow there are new headline standard bands sitting waiting to get wheeled out for your enjoyment? There isn't. To get there they have to play lots over a decade or more. All the festivals that cover the genre you like will have the same bands on cyclic repeat. I'm looking at going to 2 festivals in the states next year, they'll pretty much have the same bands that Download does. Werchter has a wider coverage but has pretty much the same core of bands you'll find on a Leeds/Reading line up. It's on my radar and has been for a while. Not as a Download replacement, but as a July festival to replace the piece of shit that T has become. Festivals book the bands that their punters will pay to see. If your tastes have changed then that festival isn't for you anymore. Go find something else. I've never seen Deftones at Download, never seen Down or Trivium at all. If they are up against good popular bands this year that will likely remain the same. This will be my 7th Download. Given the choice between sitting at home and preaching to anyone who will listen that X band isn't as good as they used to be, or actually going out and seeing live music, I'll be there enjoying what they've got left. You're a long time dead but also, so is the music industry. 

No entitlement at all. I think it looks shit for me personally so far, so if there's nothing I like on 2nd I'm cancelling my ticket. Not sure what the issue with it is? 

Maiden, megadeth, Motörhead and sabbath, I'll be really happy when they're no longer taking up high spots at festivals. If you feel otherwise then that's cool, but don't get pissy because people have a different opinion.