Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just underlines that total rainfall isn't an adequate indicator of how 'bad' the conditions were. To use a sporting analogy, it's like saying a defender is good because he makes lots of tackles - it doesn't paint the full picture. 

2011, in my mind was a bit of a grim struggle - rain from day one, pretty cold and muddy until Saturday or Sunday. Getting around was difficult and I was cold and soggy from before I even got through the gate. 

2014, there were some big storms when a lot of rain fell in a short period of time - like in 2005, too - but overall personally it didn't feel like a struggle at all. 

This.

I thought I was losing it, too much cider, 2014 seemed okay to me, don't remember long periods of rain at all. 2011 seemed much worse as there was plenty of rain leading up to the festival so it was very muddy but still had a great time.

This.

I thought I was losing it, too much cider, 2014 seemed okay to me, don't remember long periods of rain at all. 2011 seemed much worse as there was plenty of rain leading up to the festival so it was very muddy but still had a great time.

People who can't remember rain in 2014 were either in tents a lot or thoroughly wrecked or have memory issues.

This.

When the rain falls makes a massive difference to how easy it is to deal with.

2005 was ridiculous in terms of total amounts, the flooding, the mud it created etc etc, but the only time it really rained was the flash flooding early Friday, 4-9am or so. Beyond that it was muddy but at least you weren't wet.

I think 2014 was okay because we got three periods of rain - Thursday, the Friday storm (30 mins maybe?), and the Saturday shower for about half an hour. 

2007 just seemed to be constantly pissing down and was really cold. Friends who came with me every year who had been through 97, 98, 05 chucked in after that year because it was so miserable. 

When the rain falls makes a massive difference to how easy it is to deal with.

2005 was ridiculous in terms of total amounts, the flooding, the mud it created etc etc, but the only time it really rained was the flash flooding early Friday, 4-9am or so. Beyond that it was muddy but at least you weren't wet.

I think 2014 was okay because we got three periods of rain - Thursday, the Friday storm (30 mins maybe?), and the Saturday shower for about half an hour. 

2007 just seemed to be constantly pissing down and was really cold. Friends who came with me every year who had been through 97, 98, 05 chucked in after that year because it was so miserable. 

Friday only, pretty much all gone by Saturday afternoon.

People who can't remember rain in 2014 were either in tents a lot or thoroughly wrecked or have memory issues.

Right, just been through all of my 2014 pictures and it looks okay to me, not much mud and plenty of pictures of us all laying around on the grass with the sun shining.

I have found one picture at the pyramid stage when Rudimental were on with dark black clouds but I'm sure that just missed the site. 

So I'll say it again, 2014 was not a bad year!

Right, just been through all of my 2014 pictures and it looks okay to me, not much mud and plenty of pictures of us all laying around on the grass with the sun shining.

I have found one picture at the pyramid stage when Rudimental were on with dark black clouds but I'm sure that just missed the site. 

So I'll say it again, 2014 was not a bad year!

The downpour on Friday was miserable. I was at Disclosure waiting for it to stop, which it obviously didn't, got drenched. The Saturday rain wasn't as bad, seemed shorter than the other and I think I had nipped back to my tent for something when it happened and missed getting caught in it. It definitely was muddy for the rest of the festival after that Friday, but mostly on the paths. I wore wellies from the Friday onwards anyway!

Yep, 2014 was indeed v.moist.

I stood out in the first major downpour just as Vintage Trouble were starting; stood there for about 45 mins thinking when the site power is restored we'll get to see them finish their set, in hindsight I should have just gone for a beer!

The second major downpour I was fortunately in the acoustic tent watching John Illsley :)

I still recall 2011 being worse though, just because it was so bloody cold as well as moist.

The MetOffice Chief Meteorologist has briefed the following:

Remnants of Tropical Depression Bill expected over the Atlantic next week – marked uncertainty concerning the behaviour of these remnants but not inconceivable that there will be media interest suggesting potential for Bill to bring wet weather to the UK later next week (and, for example, affect Glastonbury).

Not looking too promising, according to the Met Office; subject to change of course.

Source/link???

Friday only, pretty much all gone by Saturday afternoon.

I've said this here before, but it depends on where you went. Certain areas were still absolutely wrecked on Saturday. Why? because of the heavy showers that hit in the afternoon. Silver Hayes was bad, the area in/around John Peel got pretty churned up, and the Other Stage field was a total mess.

In my experience, Saturday was still very muddy well into the evening/night. 

Plenty of photos here showing contrasting mud levels

http://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2014/jun/29/glastonbury-2014-day-two-in-pictures

2007 was miserable. By the time The Who came on the rain had properly set in.

As long as it's not relentless rain, I think it's ok.

Yep I agree. Short showers are fine in my eyes. Obviously I'd prefer no rain whatsoever but that appears to be a pipe dream.