• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

hopefully like a ton of bricks and they're never asked to return

RHCP looked better on iPlayer than they did in person in 07

What did Melvin DO to Die Antwoord

Did any of you fuckers actually go and see SOPHIE or are you all as thick as you make out to be

To be fair they voted arctic monkeys as the greatest festival headliner ever. 

Still, pretentious post is pretentious 

I watched the red button stream yesterday and I hadn't heard of any of the acts except for Cage the Elephant and The Vaccines. It seems as though the line up is still watered down with soundalike pop punk bands rather than mixing it up. Hopefully with BBC 3 no longer showing the highlights they can branch it out a bit more from now on.

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I watched the red button stream yesterday and I hadn't heard of any of the acts except for Cage the Elephant and The Vaccines. It seems as though the line up is still watered down with soundalike pop punk bands rather than mixing it up. Hopefully with BBC 3 no longer showing the highlights they can branch it out a bit more from now on.

You've never heard of Fall Out Boy, the 1975 or Biffy Clyro? 

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What do dis mean?

4 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Maybe he made them go out and pretend to be an absolute appalling noise? Cos that's what happened.

bad post, 2/10, try harder next time

2 hours ago, devilman said:

They ain't going away, they'll be headlining UK fests before too long. :)

Good. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

31 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

To be fair they voted arctic monkeys as the greatest festival headliner ever. 

Still, pretentious post is pretentious 

i hope this one's better for ya lightning baby

Apologies for the really long post but the festival has been a long time coming! + wanted to get my thoughts out in one post.

Another damn good weekend at Reading for me. Had no issues with any knobs camping near us and the weather was ridiculous - scorching hot one day and heavy showers the next, all good fun. I did get a sense, as did the rest of my mates, that even at 20 we felt slightly out of place sheer mass of 16/17 year olds that were there, so may be looking for a new festival experience next year. 

Before I touch on the music, WHO THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO LEAVE 4-8 BOTTLES OF WEETABIX OUTSIDE EVERYONE'S TENT ON SUNDAY MORNING? The absolute carnage in purple as hundreds were launched at once, how no-one saw that outcome coming I don't know. On to the music...

Friday
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes: What a brilliant way to start the festival, generated some serious energy for an act so early in the day. Would love to catch these guys playing in a tent. 7/10

Lower Than Atlantis: Nothing too special here but enough catchy songs to keep me entertained. 6/10

Die Antwoord: I'd been anticipating the chance to catch the guys again after I watched them from the back of the NME tent in 2014, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Even without knowing a lot of their music their performance was infectious. 7/10

CHVRCHES: A surprising small crowd for these guys but I thought they were really great. Lauren Mayberry's voice is wonderful, and worth seeing just for Clearest Blue alone. I'd love to see these guys get higher slots in the future. 7/10

Disclosure: 4th time seeing Disclosure and again I thought they put on a good show. The crowd was absolutely rammed but well worth the crush. A little disappointed by the lack of guests though. 7/10

Foals: They absolutely killed it. Best act I saw all weekend and the best Main Stage headliner I've watched at Reading apart from Queens of the Stone Age. Got three rows from the front by the time they dropped Cassius. An unforgettable set. 9/10

Saturday

Skindred: Seen these guys a few times before and unsurprisingly they put on a great show. Gotta give them a 7/10 just for that dig at Justin Bieber.

Netsky: The biggest disappointment of the entire weekend. A dust-filled NME tent packed by a terrible crowd and an even worse setlist from Netsky. Real shame. 3/10

Eagles of Death Metal: How great are these guys!? Was totally blown away by them and couldn't wait to listen to more of them when I got back. 8/10

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard: WHAT A SET!  People-Vultures bangs. Great hair too. 8/10

My Nu Leng B2B Oneman + Dread MC: Seen these guys a few times at clubs before so more of the same for me here, wasn't particularly captivated and the tent was rammed with topless LADS determined to mosh to E V E R Y T H I N G. 6/10

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Drew a massive crowd and I thought they were okay. Not awful, but not exactly the dream I had of seeing them live growing up listening to their music. They were just a bit.. lifeless I guess. Still enjoyable nonetheless. 7/10

Sunday
Black Foxxes: These guys are great and I'm hoping they are heading for big things. Would recommend them to all. 7/10

Basement: First time finally seeing these and I thought they were pretty good. Nothing worth writing home about but definitely benefited from being in a tent. 6/10

Jauz: Best act the dance tent saw all weekend. Not even the endless WHOOP THERE IT IS could ruin my enjoyment. 7/10

Fall Out Boy: Was taken aback by their stage production but I thought they were tiresome after a few songs. Stuck it out as I have nostalgia for some of their older material but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored at times. 6/10

Biffy Clyro: Fifteen minute longer set than FOB :wub: It went off. 8/10

TLDR: Foals smashed it, Biffy was great, RHCP and Disclosure were okay, FOB just passable. 

#nopyronoparty I'm making my way through FOB's set on iPlayer now, outstanding stuff. Not as good as the 2013 set so far, but there's still time. Best headliners R&L have had since The Cure. I hope Pete Wentz gets enough time off from his busy schedule playing Mac in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia for them to do some more UK dates soonish.

1 minute ago, 6daviesdr said:

Download will undoubtedly have FFDP headling or possibly coheadlining at some point in the not to distant future. 

Not that i like either, but I'd say they're growing at the same rate as avenged were at the same point in time.

But they're really not. It took A7X 6 years to go from 5th down at Reading to headline DL and there's nowhere near the same hype for FFDP that there was for A7X.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes put on the best set of the entire weekend at Leeds. Hands down. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand and you could see that he was genuinely loving every second of it. Amazing to see. 

It was hard work running around in my blue boiler suit for this, but worth it. Still finding new bruises from this set. 

31 minutes ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

But they're really not. It took A7X 6 years to go from 5th down at Reading to headline DL and there's nowhere near the same hype for FFDP that there was for A7X.

Well, with that logic FFDP may very well headline DL in 6ish years then. No that i think they'd deserve it personally, but that timescale is not out of the realms of possibility. DL will want new blood for headliners just as much as reading do.

Seems a bit suspect Parkway Drive pulling out of Leeds to me. It could have been a real family emergency but call me sceptical but if they had been due to play Reading (with TV coverage) would they have continued and played the afternoon show then headed back home, as Leeds was last date of European Tour so there would have been plans to fly home etc after gig? 

Had a fantastic weekend once again.

Saw some incredible performances from some great bands.

Highlights were Biffy,Clutch,Skindred, Cage the Elephant, King Blues, Slaves,Arcane Roots, Thrice and Slaves secret set.

Though,after getting soaked and caked in mud in Download and Glastonbury, the main highlight was that it was mostly dry with no mud

Also,Red Hot Chili Peppers went down very well from where we were standing.I know a lot didn't like them and apparantly it didn't come accross well on TV but there was a huge crowd and most were having a great singalong.Went to the left of the crowd near the end so I could make a quick exit to catch the end of Mastodon and the crowd was even more ram-packed there.As I said, I know they aren't the most popular on here but the organisers will see the Chilis booking as a huge success.

All in all, a great weekend once again, may have over indulged even more than usual this weekend(no mean feat) but I've got a nice week off work to recover.Yee hah.

Die Antwoord, Foals, Maximo Park, Cage The Elephant and Brian Fallon were the best of who I saw.

I was obsessed with Slaves this time last year, saw them 5 times in the space of a few months, but gone off them for whatever reason and only really enjoyed The Hunter and Sockets.

Courteeners have gone really stale too, but the atmosphere there was great and they definitely warranted that slot (at Leeds, doubt they were anywhere near as well received down south).

EODM were great of course but the crowd was absolutely dead, hopefully the festival won't give bands slots that are too high for them again based on non music reasons again. Was cool to hear Moonage Daydream covered for a second time this summer, but Last Shadow Puppets did it better.

Went to see Coheed and Cambria on a whim despite not really knowing much about them and was really impressed. The cover of Nirvana's Drain You was class.

It was good to see Maximo fill the FR tent. Expected it as the headliners that night didn't have many options if you wanted to see some rock/indie music, but still, what a set it was. The best of the weekend. New song sounded good too.

Bring on 2017!