Lineup 2016

Matt42

Ridiculous, its a music festival not a political debate. Cancelling the group is a lack of professionalism on Rock en Seine's part considering the number of fans they will now disappoint. 
Jesse's views are bound to be slightly warped being the unimaginable terror he's been through, his statements albeit ignorant were really not justifiable to remove the band from the festival. 
Absolute illogical clowns, its a shame the organisers are so desperate to be so politically correct

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, meepmoop said:

Ridiculous, its a music festival not a political debate. Cancelling the group is a lack of professionalism on Rock en Seine's part considering the number of fans they will now disappoint. 
Jesse's views are bound to be slightly warped being the unimaginable terror he's been through, his statements albeit ignorant were really not justifiable to remove the band from the festival. 
Absolute illogical clowns, its a shame the organisers are so desperate to be so politically correct

I dunno mate. I'm a big EODM fan, but it's hard to defend someone who said that all the Muslims in the street were celebrating a terrorist attack and that they must all be in cahoots with each other. It does seem odd though that he said that months ago, has since apologised, and they're only now taking them off the lineup.

I'm still looking forward to seeing them at Leeds, but he's gone down in my estimations. But who knows what crazy shit we'd come out with in the spur of the moment if we were involved in an event as traumatic as that.

3 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Where is the full Huges's quote? I found like 5 different parts :D 

If you google Jesse Hughes you'll quickly find his interview - it's with some kinda right-wing magazine thing.

14 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I dunno mate. I'm a big EODM fan, but it's hard to defend someone who said that all the Muslims in the street were celebrating a terrorist attack and that they must all be in cahoots with each other. It does seem odd though that he said that months ago, has since apologised, and they're only now taking them off the lineup.

I'm still looking forward to seeing them at Leeds, but he's gone down in my estimations. But who knows what crazy shit we'd come out with in the spur of the moment if we were involved in an event as traumatic as that.

It's because he reiterated it and then went further with the allegations,

1 hour ago, meepmoop said:

His views were already warped before the attack.

It's a matter of judgement whether you think he should be allowed to play at R+L but there's simply no way he should be allowed to play a Parisian festival after stoking the fires like that.

Edited by dentalplan

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's because he reiterated it and then went further with the allegations,

It's a matter of judgement whether you think he should be allowed to play at R+L but there's simply no way he should be allowed to play a Parisian festival after stoking the fires like that.

Ah ok I wasn't aware of that. He's handled the whole thing terribly, but there's probably millions of Americans with similar views to him and who knows how he was raised to end up with those beliefs.

Don't know why I end up defending him at all really. They're really fucked up views. Probably best to just separate the music from the person and just enjoy it. Or not if you don't like EODM.

It comes down to the festivals morals and what they want to promote really - I think Rock en Seine are justified in cancelling them if they wish to make such a statement. I reckon R&L won't do anything, but I suspect if these comments were made before they were booked then they might have had second thoughts.

13 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

It comes down to the festivals morals and what they want to promote really - I think Rock en Seine are justified in cancelling them if they wish to make such a statement. I reckon R&L won't do anything, but I suspect if these comments were made before they were booked then they might have had second thoughts.

I think if these quotes had been reported on more heavily they would be getting kicked off more lineups. But I've literally only seen them on here, apart from one NME reported, but that was relatively ok... just the quote about how everyone should carry guns. Very debatable but not particularly offensive.

1 minute ago, Odessa said:

I think if these quotes had been reported on more heavily they would be getting kicked off more lineups. But I've literally only seen them on here, apart from one NME reported, but that was relatively ok... just the quote about how everyone should carry guns. Very debatable but not particularly offensive.

Yeah there hasn't really been much public outcry from it has there, if there was then perhaps R&L would have felt more pressure to cancel them. Perhaps that's why Rock en Seine have cancelled - I imagine the backlash was worse in France considering how much more emotive the situation will be there.

13 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

Yeah there hasn't really been much public outcry from it has there, if there was then perhaps R&L would have felt more pressure to cancel them. Perhaps that's why Rock en Seine have cancelled - I imagine the backlash was worse in France considering how much more emotive the situation will be there.

Yeah exactly. I don't think the band involved was really of interest to the UK public after a day or two, just the attack itself. In France it will of course have been dissected a lot more to the point where the band has got a lot more attention than over here. But I'm genuinely shocked by that quote about coordination between all the Muslims. Just an unbelievable level of ignorance/stupidity. No way I'd be looking the other way if it was a band I wasn't into, feel like an idiot for doing so really.

1 minute ago, Odessa said:

Yeah exactly. I don't think the band involved was really of interest to the UK public after a day or two, just the attack itself. In France it will of course have been dissected a lot more to the point where the band has got a lot more attention than over here. But I'm genuinely shocked by that quote about coordination between all the Muslims. Just an unbelievable level of ignorance/stupidity. No way I'd be looking the other way if it was a band I wasn't into, feel like an idiot for doing so really.

Yeah, it's really the worst possible reaction to the situation. Spreading fear and dividing people even more when he could have used his platform to promote unity

I haven't read all of the reports about Jesse Hughes' comments but I'm a bit lost on some of it.

when he says he saw Muslims celebrating,is the outrage because they claim he made this up? Or because he should ignore it as it is a minority and he made it look like all Muslims were celebrating.

He says that some Muslim security guards didn't turn up for work that night, has this been proved incorrect? Or is the contovery because he said this without proof?

is the outrage because of his guns comments? Because many in America feel this way.

i know I can research this myself but it's Sunday morning and my google search brings up more or less the same article with the questions above unanswered.

Edited by rivalschools.price

20 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I haven't read all of the reports about Jesse Hughes' comments but I'm a bit lost on some of it.

when he says he saw Muslims celebrating,is the outrage because they claim he made this up? Or because he should ignore it as it is a minority and he made it look like all Muslims were celebrating.

He says that some Muslim security guards didn't turn up for work that night, has this been proved incorrect? Or is the contovery because he said this without proof?

is the outrage because of his guns comments? Because many in America feel this way.

i know I can research this myself but it's Sunday morning and my google search brings up more or less the same article with the questions above unanswered.

I think it's because he slagged off people who in  some cases gave their lives to save others and also before trials have concluded. 

18 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I think it's because he slagged off people who in  some cases gave their lives to save others and also before trials have concluded. 

Ah right, fair enough.

Most of the reports have left that bit off, no wonder my hangover-addled brain couldn't work out what the controversy was about.

if he has done that then no wonder he has been pulled from the festivals in France, only himself to blame.

43 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Ah right, fair enough.

Most of the reports have left that bit off, no wonder my hangover-addled brain couldn't work out what the controversy was about.

if he has done that then no wonder he has been pulled from the festivals in France, only himself to blame.

I may have generalised the first bit,  but the second is certainly true. 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Never seen a more desperate attempt to sell tickets than offering pass holders a acoustic biffy show in a ballot.

you're so fucking stupid. no one, not even FR, thinks they can sell £200 tix by inviting ticketholders to an acoustic Biffy Clyro show. if it was Eavis doing this you'd be nursing at least a semi

2 hours ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

you're so fucking stupid. no one, not even FR, thinks they can sell £200 tix by inviting ticketholders to an acoustic Biffy Clyro show. if it was Eavis doing this you'd be nursing at least a semi

I also don't think they'd target Leeds as the location for a show if that was the main reason. Surely a London based acoustic show would push more people to buy tickets (based on population / number of people that work in the city during the week).

:D My instant thought when I saw the advert was 'oh, this is marketing leeds. It must be selling badly then'.

When you see things like Riot Fest, it just puts this line-up into perspective. It's balls in comparison. 

American Fests are pissing all over us these days. :( 

When Good Charlotte is a highlight, something is wrong.

When you see a line up with two sets of co-headliners, 3 of the 4 are probably not quite headliners yet, all 4 having played in the last 3 years that is crap. The subs being average, two of which again probably aren't strong enough to be subs. Add in some of the terrible acts they have booked and some of the bad clashes (RHCP & TDCC // Foals & Maximo Park // Biffy, The 1975, Good Charlotte & The Temper Trap). That's just a few of the reasons why it is so weak this year.

2 hours ago, jonnyx said:

American Fests are pissing all over us these days. :( 

European & American festivals are always much stronger. In Europe just look at the prices - 3 days @ NOS Alive for £100 and they have a ridiculously strong set of headliners. Sziget for around £200 for 7 days and all kinds of music 24/7... I'm not sure why but I have some kind of silly loyalty to Reading even after saying my 5th year would be my last.

18 minutes ago, The Ghost Of Eddie said:

When you see a line up with two sets of co-headliners, 3 of the 4 are probably not quite headliners yet, all 4 having played in the last 3 years that is crap. The subs being average, two of which again probably aren't strong enough to be subs. Add in some of the terrible acts they have booked and some of the bad clashes (RHCP & TDCC // Foals & Maximo Park // Biffy, The 1975, Good Charlotte & The Temper Trap). That's just a few of the reasons why it is so weak this year.

The clashes are the most painful thing for me this year. I just think they've got the dynamic of the festival horribly wrong. Obviously that's always going to be based on each person's own personal taste but I get the feeling from a lot of people that they've messed up more than ever.

The top of the bill is more to my taste than last years. I'd take Foals & Disclosure, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Biffy Clyro & Fall Out Boy over Mumford & Sons, Metallica and The Libertines. Trying to be objective, I think size wise they're similar too. No question that alt-J, Bring Me The Horizon and Kendrick Lamar are bigger (and better imo) subs than CHVRCHES, Imagine Dragons and The Vaccines. 

I think the undercard has lost a little this year. Friday NME is dire. Nothing out of the norm for the big fests I think tho, T, R&L, Download have all got good lineups, not great, but good. I think it's the smaller UK fests which have really done well - the likes of Victorious, SW4 is where the real value for money is. 

Edited by JSmurphy

47 minutes ago, The Ghost Of Eddie said:

Foals and Biffy Clyro are big enough to be co-headliners, at least.