Lineup 2016

Matt42

Does anyone else believe if EODM ween't in the Paris attacks they wouldn't be in 4th slot. 

This whole line up is absolute balls, I didn't go to Reading for absolute ages then in 2013 they got me back, but every year since has been getting worse, this is just laughable. £60 a day its value, but on a whole as a festival bill it just does nothing for me, can't see me ever returning to Reading again. I guess im just too older for who they're aiming for. Which is fine :)

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Does anyone else believe if EODM ween't in the Paris attacks they wouldn't be in 4th slot. 

definitely. i suspected they'd get a high billing but it's a pretty weird one that they're being bumped up lineups because of this tragedy they happened to be a part of, although i'm sure they'll pull a much bigger crowd than they usually would've because of it as well

9 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

This whole line up is absolute balls, I didn't go to Reading for absolute ages then in 2013 they got me back, but every year since has been getting worse, this is just laughable. £60 a day its value, but on a whole as a festival bill it just does nothing for me, can't see me ever returning to Reading again. I guess im just too older for who they're aiming for. Which is fine :)

Nope haha, doesn't mean that I don't like it though ;)

Yeah it's pretty crap, but show me any line up this year and holes can be poked in all them, it could have been much much worse. The thing I can't get my head around though, is that Limp Bizkit and Metallica had easily the strongest receptions for their day, with Bring me also having a massive crowd, with the indie shit doing awful (The Libertines had the smallest headline crowd I've ever seen at Leeds), so why do they go the other way and go even more indie/dance/rap even though it clearly isn't working for the festival, like for example why on earth are Chvrches on mainstage, surely getting Wheezer or somebody like that to play there instead with Chvrches in a tent, surely that'd make much more sense?

The past 2 line ups just comes across that the Festival has no money to book a strong line up anymore, and that the festival is no longer interested in some of the older bands. There's too much of a focus on current hot acts, and it's ruining festivals over the country.

SIMPLE PLAN!!!!!

So anyway, I think that's a pretty good lineup without being great. Just bits and pieces here and there without any solid blocks of acts. A Saturday or particularly Sunday day ticket would appeal - particularly if I could get a run of Pigeons of Shit Metal>Nas>[maybe DEP]>Mastodon going with GTO, Milk Teeth, Tuff Love and Paak thrown in too.

Also think that anyone that's down about the lineup so far should have a once through the artists and their songs because there's such a mixed bag that I couldn't comprehend how one could write it off completely. Festivals are supposed to give you some of what you wanted already but also shine a light on new things too - gotta meet em halfway dudes.

28 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Can't really understand The Vaccines being in such a high Main Stage slot whilst The 1975 get the NME. Doesn't make any sense to me. Although, who knows what really goes on. Maybe The 1975 requested to play an enclosed stage. Who knows. 

Neil's had info that they're playing third down on the Other Stage at Glastonbury as well, which again seems too low for them. maybe the success of their new album was totally underestimated, although that seems odd as their first was massively successful and they could easily sub the main stage this year 

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

small acts don't weak a lineup if the small acts are decent but the lineup screams we did what we couls but had no much to go on

WHAT?!

2 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

I'd imagine ego is why Nas is billed as Special Performance when it comes down to it.

Maybe they wanted to draw attention to the only good act they booked on that stage.

1 hour ago, luckysalt said:

I returned with a day ticket for Metallica last year after going for the weekend about 13 years in a row from 2001, but no way am I going for the weekend again and this lineup absolutely confirms that Reading is not for me any longer. I don't even know who or what a lot of the higher up acts are. I shall look back at the 2002 lineup and remember what an amazing festival it used to be!

10 minutes ago, Romford said:

I'm liking the lineup more and more, but it does seem to lack that big, special performance. For me, RHCP are the only one that I can see being absolutely amazing. The rest just looks decent

Not sure how the fest can lack a big, special performance since the festival is 4 months away :P Keep in mind tho, a big name doesn't guarantee a good performance - just look at 2014, AM's set had nothing on Paramore's and Queens'. 

39 minutes ago, nickybu said:

Can someone ask Neil what eFests meant when they said there's another announcement this week??

I think it might be an error. Mainly because:

There are more acts set to be announced later this week for the twin festival. Already playing across the August Bank Holiday weekend are

"Already playing across" - it then lists the acts, but none that have been announced today. However, the article does list it above.

Think it's a decent enough lineup to warrant a weekend ticket for me. Highlights i think are crystal castles in the NME tent, and the run before than (excluding fetty wap though). Clashes on sunday are w*nk but with a couple of extra slots to fill i'm hopeful there might be a few bands to jostle the placings about a little bit, but that's just wishful thinking

EODM's high slot is very odd, as mentioned. Just like their Brit nomination. They're a great band, but I don't think their stock should have risen because of a tragedy. They're essentially in the same slot as ASAP Rocky and BBK, there's no argument at all for them being as big as those acts.

Some good acts announced today but the clashes are a pain. Brian Fallon and probably Haim too on at the same time as Chilis is a huge disappointment, and if Biffy headline Leeds then I don't like any of the headliners that day....

Also, I know it had been talked about that The 1975 would be in the tent, but I didn't believe it til today. There's gonna be a crush in there when they're on surely...

I dunno, these past few R&L lineups have just thrown up very few surprises. The predictions I see on here are so close to the real thing, it would be nice if they could be a bit more imaginative. Nas is a great booking, mind.

5 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Absolutely. But publicity is publicity. I wonder if Homme will come ride on the back of it.

5 hours ago, luckysalt said:

You're just a young puppy and you're a long time dead. Dunno about Reading but at Leeds when there are gaps of crapness, a visit to the van to top up on craic, beer and shots is easy enough. Except for 2013. Man that mud was bad. There are enough bands there that I like seeing to make it better than sitting at home wondering what if and there are loads I don't know. And there are bigfuckoffyorshirepuddingsfullofsausagesandgravy!!!!