Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Or created a hugely elaborate cover story with as much unnecessary detail as possible in an attempt to convince everyone you're not upvoting yourself.

We've heard something very similar before haven't we :)

2 hours ago, JS92 said:

What are the chances of NOFX headlining the pit? I know that they are at Download, so does that rule them out?

No chance.

Biffy co-headlining isn't unreasonable, as has been pointed out R&L is the only one of the major festivals they have/could out and out headline so they aren't a grade A bona fide headliner like say The Stone Roses or GNR. FR may have been desperate which explains why they've brought them back so soon, but to accept an alleged 'lesser' slot they could have overestimated their appeal (or at least their management did) and missed out on some other gigs they were hoping for, so may have been willing to accept anything offered. Maybe FR have heard the new Biffy stuff and don't expect it to push them any higher, and maybe their management think the same. Add the suggestion that Neil made that maybe FR are overloading the top of the bill with B-list headliners to make up for the lack of A-listers (and hopefully fooling some idiots that they have five headline-status bands playing this year) and it doesn't sound that odd. I guess another take could be that due to their fondness for the festival they agreed to help FR out of their pickle, but if they were grade A headliners they would just have them headlining (unless FR are desperate to make it look different to 2013 so as to avoid accusations of quick repeats - who knows how their fucking mind works).

Either way, if Biffy were top class headliner status it would trump all of those. You certainly wouldn't see FR booking the Foos or Muse as co-headliners just to make the bill look stronger or because they's headlined on their own recently. Whatever it is there's something 'negative' about booking Biffy as out and out headliners that meant they felt the need to pair them up with FOB.

1 hour ago, mrtourette said:

Biffy co-headlining isn't unreasonable, as has been pointed out R&L is the only one of the major festivals they have/could out and out headline so they aren't a grade A bona fide headliner like say The Stone Roses or GNR. FR may have been desperate which explains why they've brought them back so soon, but to accept an alleged 'lesser' slot they could have overestimated their appeal (or at least their management did) and missed out on some other gigs they were hoping for, so may have been willing to accept anything offered. Maybe FR have heard the new Biffy stuff and don't expect it to push them any higher, and maybe their management think the same. Add the suggestion that Neil made that maybe FR are overloading the top of the bill with B-list headliners to make up for the lack of A-listers (and hopefully fooling some idiots that they have five headline-status bands playing this year) and it doesn't sound that odd. I guess another take could be that due to their fondness for the festival they agreed to help FR out of their pickle, but if they were grade A headliners they would just have them headlining (unless FR are desperate to make it look different to 2013 so as to avoid accusations of quick repeats - who knows how their fucking mind works).

Either way, if Biffy were top class headliner status it would trump all of those. You certainly wouldn't see FR booking the Foos or Muse as co-headliners just to make the bill look stronger or because they's headlined on their own recently. Whatever it is there's something 'negative' about booking Biffy as out and out headliners that meant they felt the need to pair them up with FOB.

Biffy have openly said they are straying away from "safe" songs in their new album which arguably are what they are known for by the mainstream, and they've stated they don't expect to headline festivals forever, so I think they are happy and comfortable with just doing their new thing and playing to be honest. 

I mean their latest song they've played even has swearing in the chorus. That's hardly gonna blow up all over radio 1. Won't somebody please think of the children!

3 hours ago, oneoftherest said:

You can bash dance music or electronic music in general, but its here to stay and is a part of R+L now so there is little point in arguing anything about it because it isn't going anywhere and you won't achieve anything

but that's the point, it always does go away and is replaced by the next form of electronic music which people are interested in for thirty seconds. Remember when dub step was a big thing? yeah you don't hear an awful lot about it now though. Just like DnB, etc

Edited by DirtyChorizo

8 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

but that's the point, it always does go away and is replaced by the next form of electronic music which people are interested in for thirty seconds. Remember when dub step was a big thing? yeah you don't hear an awful lot about it now though. Just like DnB, etc

Drum and Bass is still massively popular.  

4 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

that could be said about almost every genre of music if we're gonna divide them all up in to silly sub-genres

6 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Drum and Bass is still massively popular.  

haha, it is most definitely not. Right now, it's house music that's all the rage, and that'll be gone by this time next year

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

that could be said about almost every genre of music if we're gonna divide them all up in to silly sub-genres

i'd disagree, i think for the most part other genres that are less popular at the moment have equally as hard a time becoming big as people would rather just listen to something that is simple and easy to listen to

1 hour ago, Asdaprice said:

Biffy have openly said they are straying away from "safe" songs in their new album which arguably are what they are known for by the mainstream, and they've stated they don't expect to headline festivals forever, so I think they are happy and comfortable with just doing their new thing and playing to be honest. 

I don't doubt that, if only the Biffy mafia could accept it.

1 hour ago, DirtyChorizo said:

haha, it is most definitely not. Right now, it's house music that's all the rage, and that'll be gone by this time next year

House music isnt the most popular strain of dance music from what i can see, and even if it is, what youre saying is a nothing argument. Dance music is popular, youre going to a festival that needs to keep changing in order to continue surviving. 

3 hours ago, Asdaprice said:

I mean their latest song they've played even has swearing in the chorus. That's hardly gonna blow up all over radio 1. Won't somebody please think of the children!

Wasn't what they said closer to that they are heading festivals now as in when they were, but they don't see themselves as having to headline in te future if the product they produce isn't that of that way?

40 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Wasn't what they said closer to that they are heading festivals now as in when they were, but they don't see themselves as having to headline in te future if the product they produce isn't that of that way?

Baring in mind your comment is illiterate I'd say mine's more correct but I think what you're trying to say is exactly the same as what I said