Lineup 2016

Matt42

1 hour ago, mrtourette said:

No no no no no no, it's nothing like the kind of tour they did when they last played R&L. That was a weekend in the middle of a four-month US tour, and the only dates outside of North America that year. They've never "played a couple of early shows and did R&L".

You're probably thinking of when they did Brixton/Soni/T/Oxygen and then some Japanese dates the year after. Although not sure why that would be relevant.

While them actively touring in August points to a slight possibility if there's anything to be taken from Weezer is that nothing can be predicted (2005 for example). And for those who complain about not getting to see them in this country often, I think their Amsterdam gig this year is their first in mainland Europe for 10+ years (including festivals).

Weezer 2002, March they did UK shows, they hit America, Summer Sonic and did R&L. They did Wembley Arena after it and then went to LA.

The last time they played UK in 2005 they did it mid June and August. In 2010 they did R&L and then some UK shows along with UK fests in 2011. 

So two out of the last 3 UK visits have included two trips, gig and fest and gigs and gig.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Weezer 2002, March they did UK shows, they hit America, Summer Sonic and did R&L. They did Wembley Arena after it and then went to LA. Yes European tour in March, then after North America again did Japan and R&L. Opened for GNR at Wembley a couple of days after. Not sure what you mean by 'then went to LA', unless you mean to go home and take two and a half years off.

The last time they played UK in 2005 they did it mid June and August. yes I've said that above, but no festival

In 2010 they did R&L and then some UK shows no they didn't

along with UK fests in 2011. that's a different year, you can't count that as 'coming back again'

So two out of the last 3 UK visits have included two trips, gig and fest and gigs and gig. no they didn't:

2005 - two trips but no festival

2010 - R&L, no shows, one trip

2011 - Brixton & Soni, one trip

Going back to your original statement "They could do some more Euro dates and that exactly the kind of tour they did when they last played a couple of early shows and did R&L", in 2002 they did a tour in March then back for R&L after Summersonic, so are you ignoring what they did in 2005, 2010 and 2011 and suggesting that if they did more European dates it would be like what they did in 2002, and therefore "makes them a little more possible" ?

Rat Boy & The 1975 are also at Summer Sonic, Arctic Monkeys headlined Summer Sonic and R&L in 2014 as did The Strokes in 2011. Not sure if it helps give a clue either way tbh, other than it's possible to do both even for an headline size setup.

1 minute ago, mrtourette said:

Didn't Green Day do it before their secret set? I don't think there's any doubt that it can be done.

Yeah they did, if an headliner can get their setup over in time Weezer certainly can but as I said I'm not sure it gives a big clue either way. *Prays for Weezer though* 

1 minute ago, Chr1s said:

Yeah they did, if an headliner can get their setup over in time Weezer certainly can but as I said I'm not sure it gives a big clue either way. *Prays for Weezer though* 

Not with them, they've shown that when it would be very easy/logical to play the festival they haven't and yet when it means them going out of their way they have. Maybe it's about the money, maybe touring anywhere outside of North America or Japan is decided by the toss of a coin.

5 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Not with them, they've shown that when it would be very easy/logical to play the festival they haven't and yet when it means them going out of their way they have. Maybe it's about the money, maybe touring anywhere outside of North America or Japan is decided by the toss of a coin.

Aye true that, or possibly there is a rave Rivers fancies attending in Japan or England, he is pretty random generally.

30 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Going back to your original statement "They could do some more Euro dates and that exactly the kind of tour they did when they last played a couple of early shows and did R&L", in 2002 they did a tour in March then back for R&L after Summersonic, so are you ignoring what they did in 2005, 2010 and 2011 and suggesting that if they did more European dates it would be like what they did in 2002, and therefore "makes them a little more possible" ?

No because it was 2002 that I said about both times, not 2005 or anything else except for when they did June and August both being own shows. I didn't know Wembley was opening tbf, that was only from setlist and going back LA I meant more they played a Hard Rock Cafe show but that doesn't really matter.

2010 and 11 is quite good for them being more recent as its two trips in teo years. They have though played R&L on UK trips for 2 out of the 3 times

15 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

I didn't realise all this otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting about Summer Sonic and causing this mess. :P

4 minutes ago, hamishrankin said:

Surly there's just as much. if not more evidence to support the Biffy rumour than there is TSR?

Is there any 'evidence' for any rumoured headliner?

Wondering if RHCP emerging as a rumour for TITP may in turn make The Stone Roses seem a bit less likely for R+L. It has probably happened before that T and R+L have shared more than one headliner but it's not common.

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

No because it was 2002 that I said about both times, not 2005 or anything else except for when they did June and August both being own shows. I didn't know Wembley was opening tbf, that was only from setlist and going back LA I meant more they played a Hard Rock Cafe show but that doesn't really matter.

2010 and 11 is quite good for them being more recent as its two trips in teo years. They have though played R&L on UK trips for 2 out of the 3 times

You're still wrong, although I think I understand the flawed point you're trying to make - of the five times they've come to Europe they've done R&L three times, so a 60% rate is more often than not. Either that or 'it happened in 2002 so it could happen in 2016'. However is such a pathetically small sample over such a long period time as to almost render it worthless.

They may well play R&L this year, but is there any pattern in their past that suggests they will? No of course there bloody isn't.

25 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

They didn't play reading in 05 and 11. That's 2 of the last 3 they DIDN'T play.

I'm not saying they played Reading in 05 or 11, I made it clear they played their own shows in 2005 and 2011 was a 2nd string of UK festivals dates which started with R&L in 2010. They weren't likely to do Reading in 10 and 11 tbh were they.

12 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

You're still wrong, although I think I understand the flawed point you're trying to make - of the five times they've come to Europe they've done R&L three times, so a 60% rate is more often than not. Either that or 'it happened in 2002 so it could happen in 2016'. However is such a pathetically small sample over such a long period time as to almost render it worthless.

They may well play R&L this year, but is there any pattern in their past that suggests they will? No of course there bloody isn't.

Oh of course there is no pattern, it's more the suggestion that as you say they do have a decent rate of doing R&L when they have hit the UK and I chose not to put 2011 in as a last UK appearance as R&L had already had them on their UK do in 2010. 

Considering Summer Sonic had about 10/12 acts at R&L last year though I reckon if the money is there they will turn up to do it. Except for 2010/2011 which still included their own date in 2011, they tended to hit more gigs than what they have this time. I think they might just be there, 3rd down or NME header Foals/Disclosure day.

22 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

TDCC ruled out of V so I guess we can expect them clogging up a slot 3rd down or so. Hopefully there are more suitable acts around who they've booked instead.

Not a big fan myself but how are they not suitable? Fit in perfectly with the kind of crowd Reading attracts.

25 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

TDCC ruled out of V so I guess we can expect them clogging up a slot 3rd down or so. Hopefully there are more suitable acts around who they've booked instead.

They're booked up for two days over Glastonbury too so I wouldn't be surprised if R&L have got them on an exclusive.

2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Not a big fan myself but how are they not suitable? Fit in perfectly with the kind of crowd Reading attracts.

Sorry I probably worded that wrong. They're perfectly suitable but they're shite, so hopefully R&L have found some even more suitable acts for those slots (CHVRCHES, Frank Turner, etc.) and as a result not booked TDCC.