Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, justanothername said:

When I went to Venue they played no Courteeners song. Madness

Depends on the night I think, sometimes it's just typical ladish indie all night (Arctics, Kasabian, Courteeners, 1975 etc etc) and other nights it's a bit more varied and will play stuff like The Rolling Stones, New Order, Queens of the Stone age and Manic Street Preachers. Well it used to be like that, I haven't been in a long while

I genuinely think  that booking rhcp again after that fiasco is worse than rebooking blink on a short timer. I know the number of people who attended 07 and looked at this year's lineup is probably limited to those of us on this forum, but it's still atrocious. 

Just now, jonodillieono said:

Yeah I know they're not ladish exactly but any club night that plays Arctics/Kasabian/Courteeners will also play shite like TDCC/1975/The Vaccines. What's the correct term for that latter type of indie?

it's just pop music pal. 1975 and Vaccines have admitted they think of themselves as pop bands rather than indie iirc

5 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I genuinely think  that booking rhcp again after that fiasco is worse than rebooking blink on a short timer. I know the number of people who attended 07 and looked at this year's lineup is probably limited to those of us on this forum, but it's still atrocious. 

So you saying they should book blink 182 again?

10 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Time heals all wounds, and for some enough time has passed. Not to mention that despite the fact that they aren't anywhere near as big as they were back there's still enough kids that weren't going to the festival then but have still got into them. 

Edited by mrtourette

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

it's just pop music pal. 1975 and Vaccines have admitted they think of themselves as pop bands rather than indie iirc

evolution of a genre: indie

1980s: bands that were mostly too shit to be pop music but secretly wished they were.
1990s: bands that were pop music but wanted to pretend they weren't
2000s+: proud to be pop

:P

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

1980s: bands that were mostly too shit to be pop music but secretly wished they were.

Very true

30 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

RHCP is different band with Josh Klingoffer on guitar. They had way more energy on last tour than in 2006/2007.

It's funny thing. 2006/2007 performances were really loved by hardcore fans because of all jamming and stuff and last tour was considered bad cause he just can't solo like Frusciante but "regular" fans seemed to love it

Completely agree with this guy. I've been a huge rhcp fan for well over 15 years and i remember loving their 07 set at reading. The jams were on point, plenty of album tracks i didn't expect to be played and John's solo's were tremendous. Only major fuck up was a really extended jam they had to do during can't stop due to kiedis ripping out a mic cord or something.

With all that being said, i could see why all of those reasons would also make a casual fan remember its being quite shit.. Yes they didn't have as a much energy as prior (or as they do with josh now, even if the solos aren't quite up to scratch) but they weren't in the best place then, shown by the fact john left soon after. Honestly looking back at it under the circumstances I'm quite lucky they played at all.

Anyway, im chuffed with them heading. Nothing else on there for me yet, which is for the best as after 10 years straight of weekends it'd be nice just to do a single day or 2 at reading next year.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

all this when The 1975 are better qualified to be called indie than a lot of your staunch 'indie' bands because they're actually on an indy, it's weird. Mind you so is Adele, I guess.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

all this when The 1975 are better qualified to be called indie than most of your staunch 'indie' bands because they're actually on an indy, it's weird. Mind you so is Adele, I guess.

Back in the day when 'indie' really did mean on the independent labels, that did pretty much mean the band was too shit to get signed to a major.

7 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Time heals all wounds, and for some enough time has passed. Not to mention that despite the fact that they aren't anywhere near as big as they were back there's still enough kids that weren't going to the festival then but have still got into them. 

Yeah I know. I understand the booking and I was unlikely to go anyway, it's just the type that makes me sad. 

30 minutes ago, hamishrankin said:

Do people have any idea what nights RHCP will play at R&L, Sunday-Reading and Saturday-Leeds ???

Not sure I could see them closing personally, guess it depends who the 3rd headliner is. Foals on Friday and RHCP on Saturday is my prediction so far.