Lineup 2016

Matt42

Just now, mrtourette said:

In comparison to...?

I'm not comparing them to anyone, I just think having 4 nights at Brixton and 1 at the NIA not sold out is not justifiable for subbing, if they were all sold out I'd see where everyone is coming from but there's hardly that much demand for them if they can't sell them out.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

But you have no idea how far they are away from selling out. What if they'd only announced three at Brixton and sold them out, instead of four nearly sold out? Or is four the required number?

I know what you're saying, I guess it's just an assumption. If they were really in demand they'd have sold out a couple and then added more imo but they haven't done that. I think they've over estimated there popularity with the smaller tour selling well and have been a bit greedy. I can see them playing 3rd down and that being suitable for them, especially considering The Maccabees were 4th down this year and Jamie T were 3rd.

4 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

The fourth night was added a few hours after tickets for the rest of the dates went on sale so I assume it's selling pretty well

How do you know this wasn't already booked though? Therefore selling well or not they'd have had to release it either way and maybe they thought we'd better put it on sale as it's a Saturday so maybe more people will be inclined to buy tickets. But then again it probably just sounds like I'm overthinking reasons why they can't sub.

Two nights sold out at Glasgow, one night sold out in London, one night sold out in Manchester, i'd say considering the level of sub headline acts in recent years, The 1975 are very able to fill the slot, plus theyve just been announced for an american festival in June, meaning they probably won't be doing US festivals when R+L is on

4 hours ago, foolee said:

I know what you're saying, I guess it's just an assumption. If they were really in demand they'd have sold out a couple and then added more imo but they haven't done that. I think they've over estimated there popularity with the smaller tour selling well and have been a bit greedy. I can see them playing 3rd down and that being suitable for them, especially considering The Maccabees were 4th down this year and Jamie T were 3rd.

I'm being facetious, but yes it's an assumption and it's a massive one. There are so many variables as to why an act might sell out shows that trying to use it as some kind of sign, especially in comparison to another act of to what 'usually' signals playing a certain slot at a festival, is retarded.

They could feasibly only have 5000 fans who really like them and want to go see them 4 nights in a row so the whole 4 brixtons = 1 o2 equation isnt very accurate. Obviously that's unlikely but I'm sure there are people who like them enough to go to multiple dates.

I would not be surprised to see them sub one bit though.

22 hours ago, justanothername said:

I mean More Than Alot, my bad

Its a great album, better than the other two but in terms of where they will be at a festival it doesn't matter much :P

9 hours ago, foolee said:

How do you know this wasn't already booked though? Therefore selling well or not they'd have had to release it either way and maybe they thought we'd better put it on sale as it's a Saturday so maybe more people will be inclined to buy tickets. But then again it probably just sounds like I'm overthinking reasons why they can't sub.

Well any act that has "extra" dates has them at least penciled in normally. So I don't think it really matters? (Unless its added at completely different date/different run, rather than a run at the same venue)

4 hours ago, mrtourette said:

Anyone who thinks that the letter H is actually pronounced with an H (yes you morons that's why it's 'an H' not 'a H') deserves to die.

Though its more to do with accents than people purposely saying it.

On 11/17/2015, 8:12:00, Shaun182 said:

Foals:

• Played 3rd down in 2013
  • Was mainly down to the success of their one song 'my number'
  • Have had 1 new album since then
  • My number still remains by far their most popular song
  • Everybody seems certain they'll headline next year

Chase and status:

• Subheadlined in 2013
  • Drew in a huge crowd and put on a great show (apparently)
  • Have had 1 new album since then which was just as popular as the one before it, and another on the way which will probably be just as popular too
  • Everybody seems to think the idea of them headlining is absurd

But foals have a more history with reading festival and it will make a great story as it is their local big festival, they used to go to reading festival as a punter, played afternoon slots and on smaller stages. Plus I do think that when coldplay headlined Glastonbury for the first time an factor in them headlining was they an history as they used to go as a punter and played smaller stages thus creating a story. I hope I am not talking crap!

15 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:
Metal day
Every x years
would definitely headline
arena tour
history with the festival
Brixton
chart position

R+L forum page bingo!

"The younger crowd won't be familiar with any of their songs" is a personal favourite of mine. I've seen it used when discussing the possibility of The Stone Roses headlining, among other seminal bands that were around before 2008.

Edited by VCK

On 17/11/2015, 20:12:00, Shaun182 said:

Foals:

• Played 3rd down in 2013
  • Was mainly down to the success of their one song 'my number'
  • Have had 1 new album since then
  • My number still remains by far their most popular song
  • Everybody seems certain they'll headline next year

Chase and status:

• Subheadlined in 2013
  • Drew in a huge crowd and put on a great show (apparently)
  • Have had 1 new album since then which was just as popular as the one before it, and another on the way which will probably be just as popular too
  • Everybody seems to think the idea of them headlining is absurd

C&S last album gathered and withstood the time nowhere close to what the previous album did. It was shit and they fucked it a bit there. That being said, Foals newest album fucked as well compared to their last album, no one remember C&S and by time Reading comes, WWD with have chewed enough ears. It's not good planning if they headline as for a band that are at the very low of the headline spectrum, the album should be coming out about June next year, 2 months to play off the hype!, which co-incidently fell completely flat given the expectations.

If the fest managed to bag GNR and Foo's as well, I'd consider a weekend ticket with another 8/9 acts although with GNR you wouldn't get a chance to wait. I'd much rather a close GNR date though.