Lineup 2016

Matt42

10 minutes ago, Black_Crow said:

You're going to be very disappointed then.

Nah, I like Foals, just the new album hasn't pushed them along anywhere near enough for the to headline IMO

11 minutes ago, #FreeComTruise said:

He's said Foals are future headliners as well. 

But not after TBF a disappointing album, whilst it IS good, it's not the type of album that really pushes a band along, Holy Fire did far more for them than the new album, this album takes them from a weak 3rd down (and it really was weak, the busiest day of Leeds 2013, and mainstage was half, if not more than half empty inside the barrier) to a strong 3rd/weak sub. Not to a strong sub/weak headlinder (which is what C&S ARE and WOULD be, if they play again next year).

6 minutes ago, Shaun182 said:

Foals:

• Played 3rd down in 2013
  • Was mainly down to the success of their one song 'my number'
  • Have had 1 new album since then
  • My number still remains by far their most popular song
  • Everybody seems certain they'll headline next year

Chase and status:

• Subheadlined in 2013
  • Drew in a huge crowd and put on a great show (apparently)
  • Have had 1 new album since then which was just as popular as the one before it, and another on the way which will probably be just as popular too
  • Everybody seems to think the idea of them headlining is absurd

I think a fair lot of it is the bias on this forum for things that the forum likes, compared to stuff that they don't. Foals are one of the forums pet bands, and a lot on this forum show a dislike for electronic music. Whilst almost certainly cross over with Eminem helped them I really don't think that the crowd could have been any more packed than it was. It was more packed inside the middle barrier than it was for both Biffy and Green Day. That says a LOT IMO.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Shaun182 said:

Foals:

Chase and status:

• Subheadlined in 2013
  • Have had 1 new album since then which was just as popular as the one before it, and another on the way which will probably be just as popular too

Reading & Leeds are primarily rock/indie music festivals, so of course it makes sense that Foals are more likely to headline than Chase & Status

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Pretty much sums it up most likely. Provided it happens, any band you now think can sub next year can headline.

here we go - the realisation that it's definitely gonna happen so it must be down to the flawed headliner booking policy, not that Foals are an outright headliner

11 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

Don't make things up ;)

No More Idols is 2 x Platinum, Brand New Machine only went Silver.

i'm guessing he based it on chart positions as they both reached number 2, but yeah, the first one undoubtedly was more successful. couldn't go anywhere for a while without hearing Blind Faith. the second album (and all it's singles) totally passed by me

2 hours ago, Shaun182 said:

Foals:

Chase and status:

• Subheadlined in 2013

Half of these points aren't really valid to be fair. Did anyone even care about the last Chase album and I don't get the problem with My Number still being their most popular song either

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i'm guessing he based it on chart positions as they both reached number 2, but yeah, the first one undoubtedly was more successful. couldn't go anywhere for a while without hearing Blind Faith. the second album (and all it's singles) totally passed by me

Why does everyone forget about No More Idols?

EDIT: That's the 2nd one, sorry. See correction bellow

Edited by justanothername

The other day I said The 1975 wouldn't be big enough to sub, however they're selling very well right now and 'Love Me' has performed pretty well and been met with good reception, once they have a few new tracks out, I reckon they'll definitely be sub material. Plus they are playing what is effectively an arena tour considering the capacities of the venues over multiple nights would add up to that of an arena and then they're actually playing Birmingham Arena.

I think it's actually quite likely The 1975 will sub

Very popular with Leeds' main demographic too

47 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Half of these points aren't really valid to be fair. Did anyone even care about the last Chase album and I don't get the problem with My Number still being their most popular song either

Agreed with JAN.

I didn't even know they'd had another album. For what it's worth as well, their last arena tour had parts sectioned off

Also with Foals, What Went Down seemed to be everywhere I went when it first came out, its a big enough track even if its not their biggest and Mountain at My Gate has done pretty well too and both got Radio One playlist and they have a rich history with the festival. 

You can't really compare the two.

5 hours ago, oneoftherest said:

The other day I said The 1975 wouldn't be big enough to sub, however they're selling very well right now and 'Love Me' has performed pretty well and been met with good reception, once they have a few new tracks out, I reckon they'll definitely be sub material. Plus they are playing what is effectively an arena tour considering the capacities of the venues over multiple nights would add up to that of an arena and then they're actually playing Birmingham Arena.

I think it's actually quite likely The 1975 will sub

Very popular with Leeds' main demographic too

Whether they are or not, I'm not sure you can justify an arena tour on that. The London dates are over 4 nights of 5k each, Manchester 3 of less than 5k and Glasgow. NIA is the only one really. Flo was 4 nights in London but it was a venue a little over double the size of Brixton. They can be 3rd minimum, sub wouldn't shock me though.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Whether they are or not, I'm not sure you can justify an arena tour on that. The London dates are over 4 nights of 5k each, Manchester 3 of less than 5k and Glasgow. NIA is the only one really. Flo was 4 nights in London but it was a venue a little over double the size of Brixton. They can be 3rd minimum, sub wouldn't shock me though.

The capacities of each venue over the multiple nights would add up to the capacity of mid to large arenas.

Also with Florence, she would definitely headline and I'm talking about subheadline so that's not really relevant

13 hours ago, KingPin said:

Still doesn't mean that they're big enough, and honestly I'm amazed that they're going with it. It's almost like they want Leeds to fail as a festival. I was thinking that they'd headline more under the guise of closing set style thing like they have going for the NME, especially as they haven't had a dance act headline in forever so is questionable how well it'd go down. Also, no metal day.

Metal day?