Driving to Glastonbury

simonsimondock

Hellooooo,

I went to my first ever Glastonbury last year and now I'll go every year for the rest of my life I'm betting.

Last year I was lucky in the coach resale so I didn't have to drive! This year I'm making the trip from north London.

I just wondered about the are best times to go and general best practice. I understand this will differ for a lot of people but just wanted to get some ideas! I don't even know when we're allowed in with cars etc.

Thanks to any help in advance.

Simon

Hellooooo,

I went to my first ever Glastonbury last year and now I'll go every year for the rest of my life I'm betting.

Last year I was lucky in the coach resale so I didn't have to drive! This year I'm making the trip from north London.

I just wondered about the are best times to go and general best practice. I understand this will differ for a lot of people but just wanted to get some ideas! I don't even know when we're allowed in with cars etc.

Thanks to any help in advance.

Simon

well if I was a ticketholder I would aim to arrive Tuesday evening.
I also live in North London - I used to favour this way {as I live close to the M25} - M25 - M4 and then down via Bath - its a nice journey down but I used to make it overnight either Sunday or Monday because I had a Crew parking pass so have never made the journey on the Tuesday so have no clue as to when traffic builds up .
From the official site: In 2014 car parks will open at 9pm on the Tuesday night allowing Festival-goers to arrive throughout the night, when traffic volumes are low.
Festival-goers are expected to remain in their cars until the Festival gates open at 8am on the Wednesday morning.
I am sure others will post what its like when entering Tuesday evening.

well if I was a ticketholder I would aim to arrive Tuesday evening.
I also live in North London - I used to favour this way {as I live close to the M25} - M25 - M4 and then down via Bath - its a nice journey down but I used to make it overnight either Sunday or Monday because I had a Crew parking pass so have never made the journey on the Tuesday so have no clue as to when traffic builds up .
From the official site: In 2014 car parks will open at 9pm on the Tuesday night allowing Festival-goers to arrive throughout the night, when traffic volumes are low.
Festival-goers are expected to remain in their cars until the Festival gates open at 8am on the Wednesday morning.
I am sure others will post what its like when entering Tuesday evening.

Sorry to hear about ticketless'ness.. resale though right? And thank you. I think I'll do via Bath route and wait to see what the best time is to arrive...

There's bugger all to do on Tuesday night apart from have a bad night's sleep in your car in the car park. Why not do what some people do and find cheap accommodation not far away for Tuesday night and then turn up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Wednesday morning,

Sorry to hear about ticketless'ness.. resale though right? And thank you. I think I'll do via Bath route and wait to see what the best time is to arrive...

bexj is correct - the hint is in the user name - the last time I needed a ticket was 1987 and have worked at all of them since then .
The actual crew allocation has not been made yet - last year it was Thursday 27th March so it should be next month that I know for sure.
it would drive me nuts if I had to scramble for a ticket - When I was buying tickets I used to walk into a CND shop handing over the cash and they handing me over the paper tickets - it was as simple as that - how times have changed.

I would say if possible hitch with someone who has a campervan. Sleep in their awning then get up early and join the queue for gate C.

That way you get a decent sleep on the Tuesday night and can just join the queue when you wake up.

Some of my friends usually van it so I do that.

Due to living local a friend of mine got hold of a villagers car park pass last year which really is a golden ticket with regards to getting to and from site! Hoping I can get in on that this year so I can sleep at mine in a proper bed on the Tues!

Last year we left north london at about 11pm on the Tuesday, drove down, parked in the Orange car park for gate D (via booze pick up at the nearest tesco to glasto).

Arrived at about 3am and got in the queue, which was already about 500 people deep... when the doors opened at 8am we were in and camped within an hour...

Hope that helps!

My crew drive down and arrive at 2am on Wednesday morning. We queue at gate B until gates open at 8am. We're normally sat by our tents at 10am, though a little worse for wear. If it is just a couple of you going and don't need space for lots of tents, I would aim to arrive for 9am and you'll walk straight in pretty much. Enjoy!!

last year there was a crowd of 50 of us from Glasgow, we came down on the Monday ( 3 minibuses and a van with the gear in it), stayed in Glastonbury travel lodge Monday night, climbed the Tor Tuesday morning to see the sunrise, spent the day in Glastonbury town and in the queue by about midnight. party in the queue then through the gate (D) and all tents up in the spot we wanted by 8.30...... and relax.

Slightly different plan this year. drive down during the day Tues then a repat of in the queue etc BUT staying in Glastonbury on the Monday after the fest...... shower bed etc before the 10 hour drive back to Glasgow :)

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow north Londoner here and I'm just going to throw this out there: what about getting the train?

Paddington's only a couple of hours from Castle Cary and there will be plenty of trains on the Wednesday.

Last year I treated myself to a cab to Paddington, had time for a beer in the pub in the station, then hopped on the train with a couple of tinnies. We were in and set up by mid-afternoon Wednesday, and I didn't have to drive for miles or spend half the night in a queue.

It doesn't always work out, of course. One year I spent three hours queueing for a shuttle bus at Castle Cary, but I get the train pretty much every year and it's generally been an enjoyable way to arrive. The only downside is you can only bring what you can carry.

Fellow north Londoner here and I'm just going to throw this out there: what about getting the train?

Paddington's only a couple of hours from Castle Cary and there will be plenty of trains on the Wednesday.

Last year I treated myself to a cab to Paddington, had time for a beer in the pub in the station, then hopped on the train with a couple of tinnies. We were in and set up by mid-afternoon Wednesday, and I didn't have to drive for miles or spend half the night in a queue.

It doesn't always work out, of course. One year I spent three hours queueing for a shuttle bus at Castle Cary, but I get the train pretty much every year and it's generally been an enjoyable way to arrive. The only downside is you can only bring what you can carry.

Personally reckon Nat Express is better from London - it goes straight there, sure it takes a bit longer, but you don't have to change.

My worry is more about coming back to be honest - I wouldn't want to have to try and get on a specific train at CC on the way back....

Maybe my fears are unfounded - ended up getting train there and National Express back last year. Am doing NatExp for both this time...

Personally reckon Nat Express is better from London - it goes straight there, sure it takes a bit longer, but you don't have to change.

My worry is more about coming back to be honest - I wouldn't want to have to try and get on a specific train at CC on the way back....

I don't know how it works with advance tickets on the way back, but last year all trains on the Monday morning were classed as off-peak, even the early ones that would normally be peak. Guess they just wanted to keep people moving through the station.

Haven't tried the coach but it does sound like a good option too.

Edited by johnmcga