zero000

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Where have all the Irish gone? 

Could blame the dirty French or the second rate officiating, but it all comes down to not being good enough in execution in the end. 1 try in 160 minutes of rugby? Awful stuff. Getting beat by that French side is nearly embarrassing.

The Ireland Italy game is a pretty intriguing prospect IMO. The Italians with no points seems wrong at this juncture

• 2 weeks later...

What are peoples thoughts on this weekends matches then? Wales, England and Scotland for me..

From a Welsh perspective - hugely frustrated to have drawn the game against Ireland. To go 16-13 up and give away a penalty minutes later was stupid. Having said that at 13-0 down I'd probably have taken it.

France were awful against Scotland but managed to beat Ireland so have no idea what to expect from them (and us) on Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

As a Welshman it pains me but I must congratulate England. We were horrendous for 70 minutes of that game on the weekend but that's due to England not letting us play. The final score flatters us and doesn't really tell the story of the match.

That having been said, if we'd have managed to somehow pull a win out of the bag I'd probably still be drunk.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Not in six nations for me. It would be possible to do the grand slam and not win it which would be ludicrous. 

Unless a grand slam earns ten bonus points or something like that but that seems a bit silly too. 

Yeah never thought about that one actually. Either way its been fairly boring this year.

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That's more cos all teams are a bit shit at minute I think. Can't remember last time the winner was guaranteed before the last round. And England - although good against Wales - haven't been that good really. 

Or maybe for you it's been boring cos Ireland have been very shit! ;-)

Agree on all fronts! I think the World Cup was a harsh reminder of the gulf between the hemispheres at the moment. Both in quality and style. Us vs Argentina especially. We came out tentatively and were beaten in 10 minutes!

Edited by The Nal

29 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

The whole bonus points thing is weird anyway. The fact that it is possible (although unlikely) to get the same points for losing a game as drawing one is just silly IMO. 

I think that only happened in the bizarre way bonus points worked in the world cup. Is it not usually 4 points for a win & 2 for a draw. With only one bonus point available to losers.

I watched a pro12 game , Glasgow v. Cardiff blues I think. Glasgow were winning comfortably & without bonus points the last 10 minutes would probably have been pretty dull. However both sides were within sight of a bonus point & as a result we got a feast of attacking rugby. 

If you use the points system above the lowest points you could have as a grand slam winner would be 20. The highest any other country could get would be 20 so all you need to do is have head to head as the decider. 

Sorted.

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That's the same as WC. 4 for a win, 2 for a draw. But if you score 4 tries and lose by less than whatever the total is, then you would get 2 points for losing. Like I said unlikely but possible.

The side that finished 2nd could get 4 wins (16 points) all with bonus points (total 20) and then get a losing bonus point against the grand slam winner - 21 points (quite likely). 

So you need to restrict the losing team to a maximum of 1 point...Sorted.

16 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

For the first example, but that is separate from the 6 nations example. Restricted to 1 losing bonus point, they could get 21 points in total and finish above whoever does the Grand Slam with just 20 points.

If they could get both bonus points, they could get 22. 

Well spotted, I forgot about their losing bonus point against the grand spammers. 

So, you could award a couple of bonus points for winning the grand slam. Or you could say " the champions shall be the team that defeats all the other teams. If no team dies this the champions shall be the team with the most points.

I am sure there are other ways. Rugby is very good at complicated rules.

45 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

A page or so back I said that the only way round it would be to give 10 bonus points for grand slam or something, but I'll be honest I don't like it. Personal choice of course, but I also don't think it'll change the rugby. Bonus points work in competitions with more teams in for me. 

The main advantage would be in non grand slam years maybe having to rely less on points difference in non grand slam years but I always feel like winning the championship is a bit of a second prize without a grand slam. 

I think the point about it working better in competitions with more teams is a fair one. And like any change it would probably work better some years than others. 

Where I definitely agree with you is that being able to get the same points for a defeat as you do for a draw is crazy.

Personally until recently, I'd have favoured a system that gave Scotland a bonus point for turning up!